Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 9:08 PM
Default Installing Windows 7 on Windows 10 preinstalled laptop.
Is this possible?
I bought a win 7 profession for my own computer, when I was buying everything in parts.
So I already have the win 7 cd.
I would want to get rid of win 10 on my daughter' Acer laptop, that cam with win 10, or at least install my win 7 OS on it.
I would do that alone, myself so I'd appreciate guidance please.
Here is her spec's.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 11:15 PM
The main consideration is whether you can find Windows 7 drivers for that model laptop. The Acer support site only seems to have Win 10 drivers:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conte...roduct/6749?b=1
It may be that Windows generic drivers will work fine for the devices on that laptop, but it's also possible that they won't. For example, when I tried a similar thing with a HP laptop, I had problems getting the touch pad to work correctly. If that happens, you could try to track down alternative drivers that work, but this can be tricky.
I'd be tempted to give it a try, and see what happens.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 3:51 AM
Your reply is encouraging. (yes, I am a positive person)
I'll try to find suitable win 7 drivers for that specific laptop..who knows, I might get lucky. OH! your link IS that specific machine..ahah!
Thank you.
I found this ...but I have no idea if I can trust it.
And I am not on her laptop as I type. Maybe tomorrow, I'll investigate.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:06 PM
Bumping my own thread, hoping it's ok since my *issue* is not yet resolved. And, hoping @simsample won't hate me if ever I need more halp.
Newegg is awesome and since I bought my own Win 7 there, I went back. I can still buy the same one I bought for myself. But before I do, I'd like to be sure that my daughter's laptop will be able to run it, as I would not want to throw 165$ by a window.

My last post, just above this one, I posted a link and said I was not sure of I trusted it..I still don't know if I should. But what will happen if I use my daughter's laptop to click on it? It says,
DriverPack will automatically select and install the required drivers
If the drivers works then fine..but what if they do not? Is there any chance that her Win 10 stops working in any case? And how will I even know if it worked...
I am just wondering how sure can I be, that buying that Win 7 will actually work...before actually buying it. :/

Not even sure I made sense.

Space Pony
#5 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 7:05 AM
Just adding a reply, so I can find this in the future. My Grandma dislikes Windows 10. And since I live 500 miles away and still use Win 7 on my desktop, giving her tech support can be tricky.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
My last post, just above this one, I posted a link and said I was not sure of I trusted it..I still don't know if I should. But what will happen if I use my daughter's laptop to click on it? It says,
DriverPack will automatically select and install the required drivers
If the drivers works then fine..but what if they do not? Is there any chance that her Win 10 stops working in any case?

Windows 7 drivers might not work for Windows 10, and vice-versa. I have no idea if that site is trustworthy- are thee any reviews or feedback from users there?

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I am just wondering how sure can I be, that buying that Win 7 will actually work...before actually buying it. :/

You can't really know, all you can do is to research and see if you can find information about others who have done the same, and used the same drivers, and try it out for yourself if you think it's an acceptable risk.

If you purchased a laptop with Windows 10 on it then that means that you have a Win 10 license for that machine, so if the Windows 7 install dowsn't work you should be able to reinstall the original OS. But you'd need to check whether the laptop has a restore partition to allow you to do this, or whether you need to make a backup disc, or whether you can redownload the OS from the manufacturer.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Windows 7 drivers might not work for Windows 10, and vice-versa. I have no idea if that site is trustworthy- are thee any reviews or feedback from users there?

You can't really know, all you can do is to research and see if you can find information about others who have done the same, and used the same drivers, and try it out for yourself if you think it's an acceptable risk.

If you purchased a laptop with Windows 10 on it then that means that you have a Win 10 license for that machine, so if the Windows 7 install dowsn't work you should be able to reinstall the original OS. But you'd need to check whether the laptop has a restore partition to allow you to do this, or whether you need to make a backup disc, or whether you can redownload the OS from the manufacturer.
First off, Windows 8.1 is far better than Win7, especially for a newer computer.

1 I'ts much faster.
2 It's more driver friendly.
3 If you download, and use Classic Shell, It works just like Windows 7.
4 It's more stable than Win7.

You can get Radeon R7 drivers for Win8.1 from AMD's website.

Most of your drivers will be included in Win8.1.

However, Download the Wi-Fi drivers before you do anything else, and put them on a thumbdrive.
Download your sound drivers, and video drivers onto the same thumbdrive.

This should cover all the bases.

I do this all the time.

Get Macrium Reflect, and an external HDD. Image your machine to that, make a "Macrium Recovery flashdrive", put in a safe place.

You may want to set your BIOS to Legacy/UEFI, instead of just UEFI.
You WILL need to shut off Secure Boot in the BIOS.

Leave it this way, as it will make any future endeavors much easier.