Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 5:57 AM
Default Tutorial: Making High Heeled Shoes with Custom Elevation
EDIT sep-24: sigh... first post and first screw-up, I thought I was in the tutorial section. Could a mod move it? (if you delete it, please notify me so I can post it in the correct section)

Objective: This tutorial will assist you in the creation of High Heeled Shoes that elevates the height or your sim.

Before Start
  • You need to be familiar with meshing, bone assignment, uv mapping, morphs, LODs, .package editing, etc.
  • I want to thank the next people who indirectly helped me: MarkJS, CmarNYC, BloomsBase, MJ95, MrAntonieddu, Granthes, Misukisu, Naughtysims.
  • If you haven't noticed by now, english is not my first language. Sorry for that.

Ok housekeeping done. Let’s divide this tutorial in three parts:

I. Meshing
II. Editing BOND values
III. Notes

I. Meshing

For this tutorial I’m cloning the wedges available for the base game for a “quick and dirty” edit.

I selected the vertices around the shoe sole and move them down using this value: “-.0095”. Apparently “.0095” is the value for a unit in the Sims 3 (100 units = 1 tile), so if you want the shoes to elevate your sim 3 or 4 units from the ground you need to press the “move” button 3 or 4 times.

You can make shoes as high as you want, obviously the higher you go the weirder animations will look and clipping issues will arise.

Ok, so I elongated the shoe sole 4 units and that’s it. Obviously I’m omitting the bone assignment, mesh comments, seams, normals, morphs, textures, LODs, etcetera part; you will need to take care of that. Making higher shoes doesn’t modify the rest of the creating process, so in that aspect is business as usual.

II. Editing BOND values

So, I made a .package with the modified mesh, its textures, morphs and everything else. If I load it into the game half the shoe will show under the ground. It is necessary to modify some values for it to work properly.

Use S3PE to open the .package, select any of the five files with the tag “BOND”, in short the BOND resource tells the game the bones position relative to the mesh. What you see in the preview panel is a list of every bone with the coordinates that indicates its position. Through this thread you will find a better explanation (read it completely and bookmark it).

Before continuing I’m going to describe how to modify the BOND values, the missing part of MarkJS’ explanation. Once you selected a BOND resource, press “Grid” in S3PE, a new window will appear with several dropdown menus. Select the triangle beside “ChunkEntries” to collapse it, then “[0] ChunkEntries”, then “RCOLBlock” and finally “Adjustments”. The result will be the complete list of bones, there you can select the bone (or “SlotName”) and type the values directly. Press “Commit” when you’re done and save your package (you will need to modify the same values for each BOND resource).

So basically we need to change 3 bone heights to elevate the shoes (represented by the “OffsetY” value), except that in reality the number goes up to 13 because once we elevate the feet it modifies the knees, thighs and even mouth positions. For the rest of the bones I used the values that MJ98 utilizes in his/her Madlen line of shoes, I found I can use the same values with different heights, or at least I haven’t noticed a change yet.

In this tutorial I attached a BOND file (bond_jamesbond.zip) with all the values needed to elevate the wedges 4 units, that mean the value for “rootworld” and both “l_footworld/ r_footworld” are: 1.0466 and 0.1426. How did I found these values? A lot of trial and error, A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR!!! You don’t need to relive the nightmare because I’m also sharing the list of values for several heights:

Units above groundrootWorld (0x8FE06873)l_footworld/ r_footworld (0xA4870F4A / 0xB1AAD278)
What’s that? You want to go higher? OK, just add 0.0116 to each last value on the list.

So, you want to replicate this tutorial and/or make your own pair of high heels, how do you use the BOND file attached?

You have your finished .package, and you downloaded the BOND file. Open your package in S3P3 and select the first of five BONDs, press the key "ENTER", press the “Copy RK” button.

Import the attached BOND file into your .package, select it and press the key "ENTER" then press “Paste RK” and then “OK”. The attached file will substitute the original, but we haven’t finished yet. With the new BOND file still selected press the “Grid” button, in the new window collapse “ChunkEntries”, then “[0]ChunkEntries” and select “TGIBlock”; press “Crtl + V” and then “Commit”. Now our attached BOND has the same group and instance as the original, effectively replacing it.

Do the same for the rest. And save your package. But, what if you want to use a different height?

That’s easy, once you saved your .package select again the first BOND resource and open the bone list. If you’re using the exact same file I’m sharing, you only need to modify the “OffsetY” for the last three items in the list:

--- Adjustments[54] --- (for the footworld)
--- Adjustments[55] / [56] --- (for the l/r_footworld)

Do the same for the BONDs left.

Aaaaaaannd we’re done, here is the final result! (bigger pics as attachments)

III. Notes:
  • I also attached a text with all the bones modified and their values. This kinda makes it easier to inspect them and/or use them as reference.
  • I tried this method successfully on T, YA and A females. It should work for males too and, theoretically, for the other age groups, maybe even pets.
  • In essence any mesh can elevate a sim once you modified the BONDs. Obviously your sim will walk on air if you do it to a pair of normal shoes.
  • You can use your new .package as a “template” you only need to replace the meshes and textures in the package to create a new pair of shoes with the same height. This works best with TSRWorkshop.
  • As you may know OMSP is recommended when using poses with these type of shoes. You can also use "Pose Player Interaction Add-on” from Virtual Artisan. Proceed with caution; there are a lot of people saying it doesn’t work in their game, but I’ve been using it without problems with the latest patch, a lot of scripts mods and almost all the expansion.
  • Is a looooong shot, buy maybe this info or some of it will translate to Sims 4.

If you got this far, thanks for reading!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  bond_jamesbond.zip (1.3 KB, 168 downloads) - View custom content
Description: BOND resource modified to elevate shoes 4 units, read tutorial before using it
File Type: zip  list of modified BOND values.zip (595 Bytes, 138 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 10:23 AM
So what this means is this allows us to basically cobble up platform shoes that actually lift the Sim a few units off the ground, yes?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Sep 2014 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blakegriplingph
So what this means is this allows us to basically cobble up platform shoes that actually lift the Sim a few units off the ground, yes?

That's right!

The example I used was platforms because are the easiest to make (and shortest to explain :P). But in reality you can create whatever shoe type you can imagine, like these:

Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 3:33 AM
Hi! So, I understand this is pretty late, since the last reply was 8 months ago.. sigh. But I really need help. When I go into CAS, and I look at certain shoes, they sink into the ground. I don't understand at all why this happens, but I'm assuming it has to do with elevation? Please help. I want my sims to wear these tall shoes, but they don't look right :/
Test Subject
#5 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 12:29 AM
Default Children will float

After I import your bone files,
Found that children do not apply,
Hope you can tell me which need to modify which bones data about children?
thank you >3<