Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 4:30 AM
Default Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition
I got an email from GOG.com lettin me know that one of the games on my wishlist was on sale so I went to check it out. When I did I saw that Sim City 4 DE was also on sale for $4.99 (75% off) so I thought I'd pop over and let ya'll know here so if anyone is interested in makin, or tryin to make :P, their own SC4's $5 is an awesome price. Not sure how long the sale will last as it didn't say.

I'd get it, but I bought it from Origin a year or two ago when my disk broke. So anyways.... enjoy
https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_4_deluxe_edition
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 5:57 AM
Viewed 0 times with two love tags already listed?
Ahh SC4. Playing both it and Sims 2 split screen right now.
Scholar
#3 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 7:00 PM
how much would irt be in pounds? (uk currency) or is that website avaliable for uk?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 7:21 PM
FWIW, I got SC4 and SC4 Rush Hour together on e-bay for about $5 last year.

The exchange rate right now (according to this site: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?...to=USD&amount=1 ) is about $1.42 to 1 British pound, so odds are good shipping will cost you more than the game will.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 7:26 PM
According to their website FAQ, it's available everywhere and there should be a drop-down menu to change the currency setting.
What I can't figure out is if it's possible to buy/download using Linux, then use the installer on a Windows computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I've already learned the hard way "No activation or online connection required to play" doesn't mean "no connection required to install".
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 8:22 PM
GOG's installers don't require an internet connection.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Field Researcher
#7 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald1234
how much would irt be in pounds? (uk currency) or is that website avaliable for uk?

GOG allows for payment in British Pound, if it doesn't show up directly you can change it to the right at the end of the page.

Here it'll show the currencies available for you. I'm in Sweden so I can only pay in SEK (our currency), Euro and US Dollar. You should be able to pay in British Pound, US Dollar and probably Euro.

Quote: Originally posted by jaytee95
According to their website FAQ, it's available everywhere and there should be a drop-down menu to change the currency setting.
What I can't figure out is if it's possible to buy/download using Linux, then use the installer on a Windows computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I've already learned the hard way "No activation or online connection required to play" doesn't mean "no connection required to install".

You can download this game on any computer and then transfer the .exe-files to any computer without needing an internet connection to install. This is called DRM-free and all games on GOG are like that.
Alchemist
#8 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 10:09 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 26th Jan 2018 at 10:24 PM.
I gotten Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition around the same time as getting Sims2 base game. 2004/2005.

edit:: have made many templates. so far added a few of time to Sims2.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 2:38 AM
I got Sim City at some point. Played it twice. XD
Field Researcher
#10 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 4:15 AM
Alright, I found a little more info: it's part of a larger sale that, as of the time I write this, goes for the next two days (there's a counter on this page that says how long the sale runs for):
https://www.gog.com/promo/20180224_weekly_sale_tycoon

After reading ihate's and Prah's replies and checking to see that copies elsewhere cost more than $5 (they do), I was really going to go for this (who wouldn't want an inexpensive downloadable installer available immediately and no physical shipment to get lost or stolen in transit), until I realized GOG is a foreign website and my only method of payment would block it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 4:20 PM
@Emerald1234 : I got SimCity 4 for £2.50 (which is less than $4.99) from a local games exchange store, but when I check my post about buying it, I see that was back in 2014, so it might well cost more now. Nonetheless, if you get it from a local shop, you don't have to pay postage/carriage, you can immediately see what you've got, and it's easier to take it back. The shop I got my copy from was a privately owned independent one, but CEX run a chain of shops selling second hand games at similar prices in the UK. If there's one near you, it would be worth taking a look. (In fact I'd recommend taking a look every time you pass the shop.)

In fact I've never actually installed my copy. I really bought it mainly so that I could build terrains for The Sims 2, but in fact I have little need for new terrains as I very seldom start new 'hoods (because I play my existing 'hoods for ever), and I'm just a bit afraid that if I did start to play it, I'd get totally hooked. I'm already hopelessly addicted to one Maxis simulation game, and if I got addicted to another, ! don't think I'd have any time left for Real Life at all! I remember reading about the original SimCity in the computer press when it first came out and thinking that I'd like it, so I'm just a little afraid that, once I start to play it, I won't be able to stop! (A bit like has happened to me with The Sims 2!)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 4:54 PM
@AndrewGloria - The GOG games are digital so there are no disks involved. You download, install, and then you're free to play all within just a few minutes.

I do prefer to have disk games, but sometimes when the price is low enough a digital game can be worth it. The game that I'd been notified about bein on sale was Pharaoh & Cleopatra. I have the disks, but as it means playin the game on my older computer that is as of yet still not hooked up, the $5 sale price for them both was worth it imo. Same can be said for the SC4 DE.

I've had SC4 open at the same time as I've had Sims 2 open and I'm able to do this (well for one my computer can handle it :P) as my SC4 is digital and Sims 2 is disk. While I do need to open and close the Sims game, at least I don't need to change disks out to check on how it looks in game. That would be truly annoyin and not sure how much I'd actually do with it if I had to continually do that.

Like most things there are pros and cons to getting or not gettin digital. In my opinion, it all comes down to if you have the money at the time and it seems like a good enough deal to buy.
Scholar
#13 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 8:07 PM
Both Sims 2 and SC4 are digital couldn't play them on disk anyway as the laser stopped working about 2 years ago. Still have the hard copies
Scholar
#14 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 8:31 PM
I still have my discs...I. I need to install them lol

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#15 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaytee95
Alright, I found a little more info: it's part of a larger sale that, as of the time I write this, goes for the next two days (there's a counter on this page that says how long the sale runs for):
https://www.gog.com/promo/20180224_weekly_sale_tycoon

After reading ihate's and Prah's replies and checking to see that copies elsewhere cost more than $5 (they do), I was really going to go for this (who wouldn't want an inexpensive downloadable installer available immediately and no physical shipment to get lost or stolen in transit), until I realized GOG is a foreign website and my only method of payment would block it.

No PayPal-account? No credit- or debit card that works with internet purchases?