Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:49 PM
Default Glass roofs and curved walls?
So. The build mode in Sims 3 is looking mighty similar to the one of Sims 2. But, does that mean that glass roofs and curved walls are out of the question without further ado?

Domo arigato mister roboto!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:06 PM
Iv heard people say there are no curved walls sorry and i doubt there will be glass roofs until someone makes a glass floor tile. But im not to sure about the glass roof.

My name is Jill. But i am not a bean. Not a baked bean, not a lima bean not even a jelly bean . . . . . . . . Ok maybe a jelly bean.
Instructor
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:20 AM
No curved walls and yeh no glass roofs atm.

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:28 AM
Well it wouldn't be just a glass tile either... Let's say you want a roof with the traditional slopes and or you want the dome shape roofs that are glass... They have to be either a texture on the roof or a completely new roof... (say for a green house in seasons)

Not a huge factor in many of my builds, but a "SKYLIGHT!" would be awesome to incorporate in modern builds...
Instructor
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:45 AM
You could always try make a skylight like people did in Sims 2, but you'd need transparent floor first.

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:54 AM
Yeh but you have constrain floor elevation ( i think it it - im not sure) where you can bulid a rood with just floor tiles and then by using a cheat change the shape of the roof curving it etc so then you would only need a "glass" floor tile. Hope i explained that ok. Iv never used that cheat but iv heard people talk about it, and seen people use it.

My name is Jill. But i am not a bean. Not a baked bean, not a lima bean not even a jelly bean . . . . . . . . Ok maybe a jelly bean.
Test Subject
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:11 PM
I've already seen people use small fences to stencil out a roof pattern and then just remove the floor tile. Seems to work perfectly to simulate a glass roof or lattice roofing. Of course that's only for flat surfaces.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 7:49 AM
Thing is though, I'd like a functional glass roof, i.e. a source of sunlight as well. As it was in The Sims 2, that wasn't possible to my knowledge.

So things don't look too hopeful for tsĀ³ then...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:02 AM
Not in that area atm. But who knows what may be released or modded!

I like work, it fascinates me.
I could sit & watch it all day!

Simmodders UK
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 11:43 PM
Ya I kinda want something similar. A glass roof. But for the time being I'm just dealing with it by using the fencing. I'm sure someone will make a glass floor tile. Theirs gotta be a way some how I would sure hope. Not all the great sims2 mods were released in the first week :D
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 1:43 AM
I don't know enough about the way patterns and Delphy's Pattern Creator work, so this may be a completely idiotic thought .. is it possible to make a texture or pattern that would cause a floor tile to become transparent, or would it likely just make the floor tile a colourless / textureless void?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by feldynn
I don't know enough about the way patterns and Delphy's Pattern Creator work, so this may be a completely idiotic thought .. is it possible to make a texture or pattern that would cause a floor tile to become transparent, or would it likely just make the floor tile a colourless / textureless void?

Someone was asking in a diff. thread, if through patterns, might be able to make part of an outfit transparent, and i believe the final thought was the actual alpha layer of the object would have to be modified, and the pattern wouldnt have any effect.... or something like that...

i would think it would be similar with floor tiles... to make it transparent, something with the actual tile would have to be modified, rather than the pattern of that tile
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 4:54 PM
Default How is it done in Windows?
Hi all!

Am a bit new in this modding stuff, but here is a thought. Maybe someone like Mootilda has clue if this is possible?

How is transparency done in Windows. Could it be possible to create windows for floors? E.g. Place anormal floor and then place flat windows in that floor?
Site Helper
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 4:40 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Jun 2010 at 6:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joe.mambo
Maybe someone like Mootilda has clue if this is possible?
I'm not a good person to ask. First, I spent my TS2 time working on the lot and neighborhood packages, rather than on objects and recolors, so that's where my expertise lies. Secondly, I haven't decided that I want to get into modding TS3, although the shear number of problems is pushing me towards considering it.

Sounds like the discussion in the patterns area may be fruitful. We just need to be patient until someone figures it out.
Test Subject
#15 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 3:46 PM
For Sims 2, Numenor (one of the moderators on this board), a whole series of excellent transparent walls and floors.

I gather that changinging the base texture in Sims 3 is a major challenge, and the taks is quite different than in Sims 2.

I hope someone very good at this take on this task to create transparent and reflective textures.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:39 AM
For the time-being, it's still too early to draw any solid speculation.

From what I've read, it seems TS3 is using sliders for monotonous recolouring modular pattern texture for most if not all graphics.

Anyway, I've a very question: What kind of graphical formats are allowed? Say, bmp? png? gif? jpg? others?
If png and/or gif are allowed, are transparent texture allowed? If allowed, can such transparency be applied to the repository objects?

It's disappointing that TS3 has this repository system as the only option for users. Although this should have made it easier for monotonous recolouring, and recolouring by custom modular pattern textures. It won't help to do envcube mapping or let users to do non-modular recolouring.

As for glass roof, the TS2 EP5 SS greenhouse roof is already a glassroof though in only one form while not recolourable.
From this, making a roof windows or glassroof shouldn't be that hard for EAxis.
Is that reserved for EP features?

As for curved walls, it takes Ts2 to Ts3 to have "functional" diagonal walls while still not handlable by the move-wall tool.

BTW, any mirrory/reflective floor?
Test Subject
#17 Old 18th May 2010 at 6:27 PM
I was also searching for a glass roof and wall (because I want to make a moon world) I stumbled upon Numenors sims 2 glass and curved walls.... http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=70222
but other than that why can't we just make a glass recolor tile for the roofs?
Scholar
#18 Old 29th May 2010 at 11:40 AM
M.Wright

Glass walls here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=377850

I saw tiles that looked like glass before and I can't remember where they are. They looked like glass to me but people kept saying they were only glass effect, the effect was ok though. I'll try and find out where they were. They might not be perfect but they are the closest thing to it out there
Forum Resident
#19 Old 31st May 2010 at 1:35 PM
Apparently when transparent floor tiles are attempted it crashes the game....so far (to my knowledge) no one has found a work around.

Roof windows (skylights) would be awesome...aswell as a revised attic making and usage...attic rooms with skylights...
Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 10:23 PM
On TSR recently, I found a possible "transparent" meshy looking halter top for teen/young adult/adult female, as well as some male risque undies (I think female as well).

Some undies can be found here (The trunks are free, the tank top isn't): http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...izer/id/986182/

I personally have been thinking of creating some transparent floors using the patternmaker, however, my photoshop, et al, is all on another computer. In all seriousness, this is probably something incredibly stupidly easy that we haven't figured out yet, where in the end, we'll all slap our foreheads and yell "Doh!". Unless we can mod the patternmaker with a transparency slider...

If all of this has been pondered/thought of in another thread, please feel free to disregard my brainstorming. I just woke up...
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 1:59 AM
Someone made a six tile glass rug. I don't remember where I found it (had to search alot on google), but I have the package file and it works great. Don't know if I can upload it here though, so if anyone wants to take a look at it send me a PM and I'll send you the file
Test Subject
#22 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 10:12 AM
Hi, I just found a set of transparent tiles that you can
1. overlay on the floor to make it shiny
2. use as floor tiles to create flat glass ceilings

Link: http://mysims3blog.blogspot.com/200...by-sunhair.html
Test Subject
#23 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 1:34 PM
Try these: http://lunasimslulamai.jimdo.com/m%...s-de-ne%C3%B3n/

To use them as roofs use the "moveobjects on" cheat