Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 1:04 AM
Default Is Strangerville decent as another hood?
I told myself I wasn't going to give in but the call of a weird desert environment for stories that don't fit the suburban feel of all the other hoods is really alluring atm. As much I like Tuscon, AZ/ Oasis Springs , Stragerville's isolated Texican vibe seems a better fit for me. I was wondering if other than the easily completed story, the hood is still playable and enjoyable for an extended period.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
I told myself I wasn't going to give in but the call of a weird desert environment for stories that don't fit the suburban feel of all the other hoods is really alluring atm. As much I like Tuscon, AZ/ Oasis Springs , Stragerville's isolated Texican vibe seems a better fit for me. I was wondering if other than the easily completed story, the hood is still playable and enjoyable for an extended period.

It's not bad if you like desert worlds, but I like Oasis Springs a lot better, because so much of Strangerville is decorative buildings, and there's so few playable lots. Also there's only fishing spot and it's in the gated community neighborhood. I've finished the story just once and immediately was ready to move my Sims to another world.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 6:22 AM
It has a nice aesthetic but I was so disappointed in the world. Aparkison is right, most of it is decorative buildings. I especially liked the little town center but the only actual lot there is the library. You can play there just like any other world but if you haven’t finished the story you’ll get the crackheads walking around. I actually kind of like the weird infected sims, I never finished the story so they still wander around that town when I play there.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 8:20 AM
I just watched the LGR review. I think I will go ahead and get it. I want another hood and also I like some of the build objects a lot. I think some will work very well in Forgotten Hollow if colors that are OK. And it will be fun to play the story through. Did not check the CAS items but there probably will be some I will like.
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 11:58 AM
You can toggle the story off without completing it if you use this mod:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/story-toggle-25231713

I used a cheat code that the same person have published before that
and I tried playing there with my sim, but I really didn't like it.

the walkbys there are doctors and soldiers, and very small amount of normal sims ever walk by the streets
the decorative buildings are very limiting as to what you can build there that will still look fitting to the surrounding area
I even took my time to recolor all of the way-too-red rocks all around this world, but it still didn't change much as for how this place feels like and behaves, compared to other worlds.
it was too isolated for me to actually enjoy it, as someone who doesn't like loading screens and prefer to enjoy the street life on the current lot wherever I am
not so much of a street life there. I ended up moving to some other world.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 12:48 PM
Thanks guys! tbh I like the idea of a small world. Less lots forces me to be creative (I made an amazing, playable Granite Falls only to find I couldn't live there normally no matter what), and hopefully the gallery will cover some holes. I also played the sims 2 on the DS which was Strangetown themed for some reason and had like 4 actual places you could go and I kind of miss it. I have low standards.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 8:42 PM
I waited to read what others have had to say about StrangerVille until after giving it a complete playthrough and look around. (The setting is beautiful and detailed. )

I have found it to be an excellent source for creative story telling. The mystery can be solved in many ways and at the end I found that the problem can be made to start up again. (Dialogue with locals after the mystery is solved indicates that some are concerned that things could start up again. It is possible to get back into the Secret Lab to reset the problem back to the level of your choosing.)

You can also play out the StrangerVille Investigation to a certain point and leave it there as long as you wish. This will keep the weather and atmosphere in a particular stage.

I found there is more to StangerVille than "meets the eye". The mystery can be solved in many different ways. And it is never truly permanent, (I am avoiding posting spoilers.)

It pays off to enjoy the trip along the way and pay attention to details.

I agree. there are few community lots, however, it is just as easy to travel elsewhere to visit a particular community lot. Also, I believe the home lots in town can be bulldozed and replaced with something else ( new home or community lot).

The views from the cliff side area where the more prosperous Sims live are spectacular and very photogenic! I have built 2 smaller homes that fit in with the theme, on the two vacant lots up there. (Found in the gallery under PattyHeart)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 8:45 PM
Boring Sonoran Oasis Springs Copypasta.

BSOSCP

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st May 2019 at 12:29 AM
Welp, I got it and u guys weren't kidding
Scholar
#10 Old 1st May 2019 at 3:01 AM
Place is so red, it reminds me of Mars more than a desert.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st May 2019 at 7:33 AM
It honestly doesn't have enough lots to function as an independent world.

It really needed 1-2 more neighborhoods (maybe a urban residential hood plus a desert homesteading hood?), or around 3-5 lots each to make it more fleshed out. As of now, there's simply not much to do after you finish the plot, and the openness makes the constrained feeling worse.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st May 2019 at 8:21 AM
I have no regrets about getting it. I have a few more lots where I can build, new items I like, and it will be fun to do the story. There are many limitations but I knew that going in. I started a house last night that is in a beautiful location and I totally love the windows and doors I am using. I do not have 3 installed on this computer yet, so this gives me a little Sims fix.
Instructor
#13 Old 9th May 2019 at 5:28 PM
The world is overall very detailed and pretty. I like how sometimes you'll see little sand twisters blowing through the neighborhood. My only gripe is that the decorative houses that are literally right next door to yours have 2D windows and doors that are just painted on to the home. In this day and age, why? Especially when decorative assets in other worlds that are off in the distance tend to have much more detail.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th May 2019 at 7:17 AM
It definitely is Sims 4 with all the fake buildings and backdrops, but I am having fun playing it. As soon as the quest is done I may never be there again, but for now it is entertainment. Redid the bar as a restaurant and it is packed with Sims. That is one thing I do like about 4. The activity. Love 3 but most of the lots are usually darn empty as far as other Sims being there.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th May 2019 at 1:00 PM
Such small worlds and even sims 3 lots would be full tho XD

But honestly, Strangerville pack is only good to me because of the world. It's one of the prettier ones in sims 4.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th May 2019 at 6:56 AM
I love the Victorian build items and will redo a house in Forgotten Hollow with them I am sure. I also like some of the clothes and hair and other items. And I think the world is very pretty also. Those strange plants are quite pretty I think.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th May 2019 at 1:33 AM
I've currently been playing it and I admit I do like how small it is. I've gotten rid of the homes on the hill top and now there's a park, spa, festival lot, and snack bar up there. I also downloaded a redone "8 Bells". Not sure what I'm gonna do with the library.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th May 2019 at 7:05 AM
I may redo the library too. I still have one vacant lot in the hills. I redid the bar and it is very popular now that it is a restaurant with bar and outside eating also.