Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2012 at 3:13 AM
Custom content help!
Hello fellow community members,

I feel very foolish for finally posting this thread, as I feel that the question must have been answered several times on this site. But I have looked around forever and can't find it. My apologies for the redundancy. Anyway, could someone please tell me what folder to put custom sims for Sims Medieval in? And a bit of a less stupid question: is it possible to convert a TS3 sim to TSM? There are some wonderful sims I would love to use for the game, but they are all for TS3. Is it possible? Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th May 2012 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bogglewmn13
Hello fellow community members,

I feel very foolish for finally posting this thread, as I feel that the question must have been answered several times on this site. But I have looked around forever and can't find it. My apologies for the redundancy. Anyway, could someone please tell me what folder to put custom sims for Sims Medieval in? And a bit of a less stupid question: is it possible to convert a TS3 sim to TSM? There are some wonderful sims I would love to use for the game, but they are all for TS3. Is it possible? Thanks!

Sims go in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Saved Sims

As for transferring a sim. It can be done, I ported a TSM sim into TS3, since I find TS3 sims so incredibly disappointing, and I wanted to see what the game would make of a TSM one.
He went over with no skintone, since the skintones are different, so he appeared jet black, and with no feet, since they're a separate entity in TS3, but once I selected a skintone and shoes for him and downloaded a LOT of shaders for the face and a hair closer to his and better stubble and skintones etc, he actually looked not too bad. He normally wears sunglasses though since TS3 eyes are a bit dead, but I finally got a TS3 sim I don't thoroughly despise, so even though they're only vaguely similar at best, I'm happy enough with the way the TSM one turned out in TS3.
I'd imagine you can do the same in reverse, it looks a bit broken when you do it, what with having no skintone and all, but just select the parts your sim is missing, and it should be ok. Mine saved fine in TS3 and so plays fine too.
I can't imagine wanting to do this in reverse, but to each his own
It won't be the same but the general features should be there for you to work with as a base.
I'd be interested to see your results, if you have the time to post them up here.
I've thrown a pic here of my TSM to TS3 transfer so you can see the difference between the 2.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2012 at 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=ChickieTeeta]Sims go in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Saved Sims

As for transferring a sim. It can be done, I ported a TSM sim into TS3, since I find TS3 sims so incredibly disappointing, and I wanted to see what the game would make of a TSM one.

Thank you so much!!!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th May 2012 at 8:00 AM
For the sake of argument, what would happen if you tried to put an invalid age (elder/teen/toddler) sim in there?
Scholar
#5 Old 30th May 2012 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by phantomneko
For the sake of argument, what would happen if you tried to put an invalid age (elder/teen/toddler) sim in there?

Haven't tried it, but it would probably either ignore the file completely or crash the game, the skeletons aren't there for the other age groups. I think the .sim file contains mostly your slider settings for the face, age group, skintone etc selected. It just tells the game what to load on to your sim and any missing information is either ignored or replaced with something else. At best it would place the settings on an adult mesh, but I'm guessing it would be completely ignored. There's no animations in the game for toddlers either.
I guess it may be possible to recode a full group of toddler meshes (hair, head, body etc) to appear in the adult section, but the game would treat the toddler as an adult and animations would look weird on it, if it even loaded it and allowed it to be placed in the game world.
I wouldn't quote me on any of this though. I'm guessing wildly.