Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 2:09 AM
Default "Brave New World" is a Rip-Off
So, I finished my first ambition and decided to use my wizard as the monarch of the next kingdom. I did the "Brave New World" quest, and when it was time to leave, the game gave me time to finish up anything I wanted to do before I left.

There was no option to say good-bye to my friends, so I figured that "finishing up" would be about stuff. I sold a bunch of things, in case only money transferred and not inventory, then I bought a nifty sword, in case inventory did.

I finished the quest and sailed away to a new land. Nothing happens when that occurs. If you want to use the hero who just sailed away to begin a new kingdom, you have to save and quit, then go back to the main menu.

Well, I did that, and when starting a new kingdom, my former wizard was indeed one of the possible pre-made monarch choices. I selected her and started the new kingdom, then discovered that almost nothing transfers.

She still had her traits (including the Legendary trait I'd picked up for her in the previous game) and her level. Her money was gone. Her inventory was gone. She'd forgotten all her spells. Okay, I expected that they'd force her into the monarch mold and pretend that she'd forgotten all about being a wizard, because EA is just that lame. But I thought she'd keep her inventory or at least her gold.

Nope.

Okay, it's nice to start with a Level 10 monarch. Or it would be if I had the stomach for starting over, which I don't.

Just thought I'd mention this, for anybody who was tempted by the "Brave New World" quest and who thought they'd get to keep more than you actually do get to keep.

This game pisses me off.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 2:21 AM
You might be interested in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438052

If you DON'T want to simply keep your existing kingdom, as the instructions above let you do, you can at least use money cheats to get the new monarch a start in castle redecoration and inventory contents... I feel fine about doing that Moreover, if you've saved your other heroes to the sim bin when creating them, you can re-use them in the same roles (or different ones!) when you add those roles to your kingdom.

I do feel your pain though Seems like they'd at least let you take your inventory with you.
Instructor
#3 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:06 AM
So actually it's just a way of making any of your Heroes a monarch somewhere else? In an new kingdom with the same map and that looks exactly the same as the previous one? It is kinda silly, specially since you can save a Sim you like in the sim bin when creating your Heroes...

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 12:41 PM
Yeah I was also pissed out the money thing, I sold off all my sims stuff so I could get a really nice throne room but.......nothing!! no money, no items, not even the food they had before (maybe they ate on the ship) Its would be very cool if they kept one or two of their past skills also, a king with spells would be cool. I think EA has made a good game but untill they get feedback and made some changes its never going to be their best game.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 5:32 PM Last edited by garghuul : 4th Apr 2011 at 5:33 PM. Reason: spellink error
I think it'd be neat if a "New" monarch kept some of thier previous profession interactions. Like a Merchant/Monarch being able to access the ship hold and go trading, or an ex-Physician being able to harvest herbs and craft salves.

If it wern't for the money vanishing, I'd think it was a follow on that old Sims 3 bug where families would lose thier personal inventories.

Hmm. Perhaps one could mod the "Brave new world" quest so there is an object that appears when the quest is started into which you can put items you want to carry-over. Sort of like packing your bags.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 11:18 PM
It's probably a game-balance thing. Getting to carry over their entire inventories and money could make some of the "hard" Ambitions laughably easy if you just carry over a Hero who has the best of everything in their inventory, and then hand it out to the appropriate Heroes.