Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 8:41 PM
Default achievements on free time quest?
I recently completed my first ambition and was excited to have the time to complete some of the achievements. I tried to complete a couple achievements, but nothing happened--the game didn't recognize that I'd done the achievements at all. Can you earn achievements in free time mode, or do you have to have an ambition?

one of the most interesting things about the universe is how amazingly boring it actually is -- Douglas Adams
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 8:55 PM
As EA designed the game, no. Achievements are watcher credit earned over the course of quests performed in pursuit of an ambition. Perhaps there's a cheat code to enter to change this, for those who have debug enabled?

(Though I have to point out that I was getting notifications on achievements my non-questing Sims were doing outside of my control. Most notably, I recall a pop-up that X number of poems had been read while I was busy questing with my blacksmith. Probably helped that I had left my bard with an excess of unperformed poetry in her inventory.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 9:04 PM
That's too bad, but thanks for letting me know.

one of the most interesting things about the universe is how amazingly boring it actually is -- Douglas Adams
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 9:26 PM
Maybe it's because I have testing cheats enabled, I go in and out of Free Time between normal quests (and I don't allow myself to run out of quest points because I'm porting my Kingdom from one ambition to the next, I hate the idea of having to start all over again)... OK, all this is cheating a little but just to make the game more playable, I don't cheat (much) to make my quests easier. Anyway, sorry, I was wandering off-topic. When on Free Time I use the "enablerespos" to give my Sims their daily responsibilities, and I don't know if that's why, but I did get Achievements in Free Time, I just got the one for collecting herbs 50 times...

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Scholar
#5 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 10:36 PM
Aye, I also used the showallquests and enablerespos cheats, and I was able to do a couple of Achievements (Gruel Horder, On Vacation, and I think One Rich Sim as well (forgot if I did that one on quest or free time)).

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Instructor
#6 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:03 AM
Bad news, you loose the Achievement level you gained as soon as you quit Free Time, because it's as if you had "failed a Quest...

Oh, but I'm thinking: what if you copy the ach.package file just before you quit Free Time and put it back in in the next quest? that should save your Achievement level, or what?

Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:17 AM
If you do something like "enablerespos" and whatnot, will the Sims get experience too? I just got the Free Time quest and was annoyed that doing things didn't seem to give anyone experience, so my Sims are just stuck at the levels they were on when I earned Free Time. Annooooying.
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:24 AM
Yes, with "enablerespos" your Sims gain experience and profession levels by completing their daily responsibilities.

Test Subject
#9 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:31 AM
Thanks! :-)
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:38 AM
Actually, there's no need to enablerespos in order to level up while in Free Time. For a while now, I've been playing nothing but Free Time and I can safely say that it's possible to go from level 1 to level 10 without ever doing a quest or a responsibility. Responsibilities help, though.
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:49 AM
I'm not getting XPs floating above their heads though, and their little bars don't seem to be going up at all. My doctor is level 7 and my mage 8, I'm having them do their career tasks and nada, even with enablerespos on. *scratches head*
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 2:32 AM Last edited by Nekowolf : 9th Apr 2011 at 4:35 AM.
@alexpilgrim

Okay, well, I did a test on what you said. And my result is mixed. What I did was the Inedible achievement (survive the Pit 5 times in one kingdom). Of course, it's all in free time, with enablerespos on. The first time I did it, my achievement meter did go up. But then I went back to Main Menu as part of the test, and did it again, and it hasn't gone up since then. Even after exiting and reloading the game, it did not work.

Apologies if this is was already figured out.

Edit: I also tried quitting the Free Time quest and it still did not go. I'm going to try using a backup save and doing it through there, to see what it does.

Edit 2: Nope. No difference at all. It gave me the points the first time, but all other times after that, no matter the setup, no points were given even though the achievement was unlocked every time.

Oh, and I just had an idea. I happen to have the game installed on another PC (it was for my sister). That game is a bit behind of where I'm currently at, but I haven't opened up any of the other Ambitions yet, so I'll try replacing the one on my PC with the one from the other, and see what that does.

Edit 3: Well. I did just that, and I must admit, I'm a bit surprised. Some of the achievements I had previously earned, such as a Lv. 10 Physician in a low Well-Being kingdom, discovering every herb species, discovering every mineral type, 48 hours under Beacon of Hope, they were gone. I would have to complete them again, apparently, or at least according to my Achievement list. However, there are others that are not gone even after replacing ach.package. Maximized Ticktop loyalty, using the Training Dummy for a total of 24 hours, having 50 Nightshades, having 25 bowls of food, earning $2500 from the market stands, those are still there. And I know for certain that the ach.package that I got from the other PC did not have those.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RuseGryffindor
I'm not getting XPs floating above their heads though, and their little bars don't seem to be going up at all. My doctor is level 7 and my mage 8, I'm having them do their career tasks and nada, even with enablerespos on. *scratches head*

Well, it depends on when you do Free Time. So, if you've run out of QP and the only quests you can do are Free Time or New Horizons (or whatever it's called), you won't get any exp during Free Time. But if you enable cheats and use showallquests, you will gain exp during Free Time.

So if you're not getting exp, I assume your QP is at 0?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
When on Free Time I use the "enablerespos" to give my Sims their daily responsibilities, and I don't know if that's why, but I did get Achievements in Free Time, I just got the one for collecting herbs 50 times...

Ooh! I'm definitely gonna try that! thanks

Instructor
#15 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 5:54 AM
Just one thing though, once you've spent all your QP and reached the end of your Ambitions, getting in and out of Free Time will maybe not give you XP or anything anymore, even if you get more QP with "setqp" and do more normal quests. The game understands that Ambition as closed and finished.

I've been playing a lot of Free Time during my Imperial Domination Ambition, I still have 23 QP and three territories left to annex, and all my Sims are gaining profession levels and earning money. Just don't use up al your QP until you really want to go to the next Ambition. And I've you're porting your Kingdom save it while you still have QP, ZERO QP kills a Kingdom, it makes it "sterile", so as to say.