Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2018 at 6:27 PM
Default Recommended Graphical Mod, Fixes?
I wanted to play Castaway Stories so I wonder if there's any mod to help improve the game? also, increasing the texture size too because it's so blurry.
I'm not sure how up to date the game is, Bon Voyage? (Compatibility)
Also, is it compatible with CustomPostEffect? (https://pineapple5050.tumblr.com/po...t-skyfix21-pond)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th May 2018 at 10:37 PM
Bon Voyage-ish? I'm using the Pets version of Quaxi's censor blur (which was the final update for it), and a very small handful of Bon Voyage mods. Haven't had any problems with them, but I didn't put any mods other than the censor blur in until I finished Story Mode as they could mess that up.

Default replacements to improve textures seem to be fine (I've certainly done skintones, eyes, etc), but should probably be used sparingly as the game was specifically designed to be lower res.

No clue about CustomPostEffect, I'm afraid.
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 9th May 2018 at 7:24 AM
I did a lot of experimenting with Castaway in terms of mods and CC and stuff. You might be interested in this tag on my Tumblr: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...way+experiments

In my experimenting, I found that Castaway seems to like Seasons versions of mods, even though it has some stuff from Bon Voyage in it. Some later mods will work. Some won't work at all. I have no idea about CustomPostEffect, as I don't use that mod. If you're a picture-taker, Live Camera mods will work; neighborhood camera mods will not, or at least the one I use in TS2 does not. Some mods don't work unless/until you've completed the guided story, though. (ACR v1 is one of those, and even after that it sort of goes wonky, so eventually, I didn't use it in the scenario I was playing in that game.) When it comes to mods in the game, you just have to experiment, and my advice is to look for mods that are compatible with, at the latest, Seasons. Here's a post on my Tumblr that contains a screenshot of the mods folder for my Castaway game. That's by no means a comprehensive list of what WILL work; it's just what is useful for the scenario I played (and that I'm soon rebooting) in Castway.

In terms of making stuff look better, neighborhood deco custom skies/horizons work (On-lot sky domes do not) and show through on lots with stars/moons/shooting stars visible without using the Skyfix mod, so it must not have the broken skies that Seasons has. Lush terrain defaults work, lush being the only terrain the game has. As muridae said, the game was designed to be lower-res and to run on lower-spec machines (like laptops of the day), so it probably has limitations in terms of how much high-res/high-poly crap you can stuff into it, and probably has the same texture memory processing issues that TS2 has (which causes pink flashing in TS2), so you'd be wise to be somewhat conservative in that regard. That being said, I didn't hit any sort of limit when I first played it. So: All CAS default replacements meant for TS2 will work so long as the item you're replacing exists in Castaway. (I'm busy making a full set of dirty/bedraggled hair defaults specifically for the game.) All CAS CC ought work so long as it's not dependent on any Maxis meshes/textures that don't exist in Castaway. Overlay boxes (like for body hair and tattoos) work. Build/Buy CC also works, with the same limitations as CAS stuff, but it will appear in strange places in the game's Buy ("Barter") catalog since the category structure is different. Most neighborhood deco CC works.

Overall, the game is surprisingly flexible. I was quite honestly surprised how much it could be modded, and I'm not really entirely done with experimenting in that regard.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:54 PM
The biggest snag with Castaway (post-story mode) is probably the inability to easily add new lots, due to the lack of roads. Cloning existing lots in SimPE and moving them to suitable areas of terrain elsewhere on the map works reasonably well, though you never get an exact fit on the coastline. I've also changed several of the lots from community to residential.

Some things like the tents are stubborn about deleting, so the Stuck Object Remover is a must if you want to rearrange the furniture.