Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 10th May 2018 at 11:41 PM
@gdayars, I am going to leave her in your hands. I have to go to sleep, but I will be back in the morning to see if I can help with anything else. I am going to fall face down on my keyboard soon.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 11th May 2018 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Ok also need the config file from the logs folder but did your documents folder form?

I'm sorry, where is the logs folder again?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 11th May 2018 at 12:46 AM
Hey, I'm going out with my family in a little bit, and I'll be gone for a few hours. And after that, I don't know how long I'll be up before I go to bed. (Although I don't have anything going on until 4 tomorrow, so I could very well stay up late if it's for the Sims.) So please don't feel like you need to rush yourselves or tend to me 24/7, guys. You're being so helpful and I can be patient--especially since I have two other Sims games I can play in the meantime!

That said, I'm getting something odd while playing TS3 (which I have on Steam, not Origin). When I click on the program, I get this:

Only it takes up maybe a third of my screen, and then it goes into fullscreen mode for TS3. Before, it just automatically went to TS3 in fullscreen mode. I have no idea why this is happening.

Then, when I hit Ctrl+tab to cycle through the other apps I have open...

I get this annoying notification. I've tried to get rid of it by clicking "Change focus assist" and deselecting "Show a notification in action center when focus assist is turned on automatically." I also tried viewing the notification, which is saying that I don't have the optimal resolution for the game selected. But I'm using the same resolution I was before, and wasn't reminded that it wasn't "optimal." I can only think that this has something to do with running DirectX, and now it won't stop. Help?
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#54 Old 11th May 2018 at 12:47 AM
ok move the exe back to tsbin

the advice to move it was only for those who were having trouble with the patch and as noted in the help thread at some point, the latest download of origin doesn't work with that.

it doesn't support the move, so only those of us who haven't updated the game in the last two updates and those still on discs can do that. so yes you can patch it but leave it in tsbin.

and you didn't remove your old directx did you? just added the new one?

because it shouldn't have overwritten anything.

and what is focus assist?

and why does the igfx.exe have a 1 after it? that would imply there is already one somewhere?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 11th May 2018 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
ok move the exe back to tsbin

the advice to move it was only for those who were having trouble with the patch and as noted in the help thread at some point, the latest download of origin doesn't work with that.

it doesn't support the move, so only those of us who haven't updated the game in the last two updates and those still on discs can do that. so yes you can patch it but leave it in tsbin.

and you didn't remove your old directx did you? just added the new one?

because it shouldn't have overwritten anything.

and what is focus assist?

and why does the igfx.exe have a 1 after it? that would imply there is already one somewhere?

No, I didn't remove my old DirectX because no one told me to.

I don't know the answer to the last two questions. I have no idea what Focus Assist is, or what igfx.exe is, let alone why there's a 1 after it. Although I agree with your assessment that that means there's an "original" one somewhere.

I really wish you guys could just get on my computer and tell me what's going on. I know there are ways to control a computer remotely, but I feel like that would be a really stupid thing for me to do. No offense, but it's not like I know you guys personally.

Also, I tried to run TS2 again and ran into the same problem. I had to restart without saving my Sims 3 game, because I forgot to close it while starting up TS2.

I'm going to have to look up how to clear my cache. I've done it before, although I don't know what that means, exactly. And then I'll have to try and start up TS2 again, right?

I feel totally lost on the 4GB patch or whatever it's called--like I've only made things worse. And I feel like I can't answer half of the questions that are asked of me. I'm really trying here. Thank you so much for your patience.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th May 2018 at 5:17 AM
This is the notification I now get when I open TS2 OR TS3 (again, note that these games use different launchers--TS2, like TS4, is on Origin. TS3 is on Steam).

I did not get this with TS3 before.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#57 Old 11th May 2018 at 5:23 AM
I think that is an update to your igfxTrax.exe thing? that isn't anything from the direct x.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 11th May 2018 at 7:15 AM
I will recommend starting over right now. First step: Restart the computer - windows may need that if there were other updates.

2. Remove the downloads folder (just put it elsewhere on your desktop, we will worry about them once the game is working).
3. Now do a repair - right click on TS2 in Origin and choose repair. It should remove everything from the program files in case you have done something wrong.It may take a while. The game should start now.
4. Then we sort out the graphic rules first. (We will add the 4GB patch later - you were on the right path - I think from your screenshot you just did not go all the way, don't worry).
Once the game runs and looks acceptable, we will go on.
Page 3 of 3