Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#26 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 3:20 PM
If package files aren't working for you, it's because you did it wrong. If ya do it right, they work just fine.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cherubeem
Package files doesn't work for me now, but sims3pack works.. So It would be awesome if there is a program..

Same here

ComputerGeek93
Test Subject
#28 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 11:28 PM
hey guys~!
its been more than a year since this was posted...
is there package to sims3pack converter came out?
im dying to have that program..
im running sims 3 late night and that does not go with non-default package files.. T.T
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 9:51 PM
I'm running LN and all my package files work just fine. You can do it insanely tediously via TSRW. Open up the package file and then save it as a .sims3pack file. You will have to do it one by one though. There isn't a program that batch processes that i know of.
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 7:12 PM
package files are working Slow. sims3pack files are working Fast & Better.

Question: We want to choose sims3.pack.files or package.files when we download here at MTS (many homepage has that possibility now, but we are still waiting for that possibility here). Still no solution????
Forum Resident
#31 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 2:02 AM
If packages are going to slow for you then that means you have too many. Weed out the stuff you don't use/need and merge the rest. The launcher is worthless, sim3packs are even more worthless.
Test Subject
#32 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 11:16 PM
This sims3pack VS package has been going in since the dawn of sims 3 and sure the package files allow for ease of installation/removal but yes, they do cause serious game lag, and hear's a little proof for every one. I have a brand new computer with a really amazing graphics card and all EPs and no SPs and the latest game patch and yet i only ever keep 2 package files in the mods folder at once and it still causes game lag, and don't say that it has to do with damaged packages because the ones i'm currently using are the friendly fire mod and new animated ceiling fan from here at MTS. Us Mac users need a package to sims3pack converter just as badly, please .
Sockpuppet
#33 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 3:29 PM
sims3packs aren't even used by the game, the moment you install a sims3pack the manager will convert it to package and will put it in your DCBackup folder
It will however update the dcdb0.dbc file located in your DCCache folder, some sort of registry wich will boot the game a little faster?
I dont think the actual gameplay will be faster or slower wether you use sims3packs or packages
Test Subject
#34 Old 13th May 2011 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
If package files aren't working for you, it's because you did it wrong. If ya do it right, they work just fine.

not true, i have used many packages files in my mods/packages folder, but all the sudden, if i have ANY cc in that folder, my game freezes and crashes constantly. I have installed cc ever since the first sims 2 game so i know im not doing it wrong.
Test Subject
#35 Old 28th May 2011 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

I don't believe you. Like many other people, I'm using a new, mid-high end computer that runs the game very smoothly without custom content. I can only have around 10 .package files in the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder before the game takes millennia to load and CAS and Build/Buy modes are unbearably slow.

I can however have many files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup installed from .sims3pack files using the Sims 3 Launcher, and the game still runs like new. I've tried with and without both; .sims3pack files are the way to go.

Oh goodie! A picnic! All of Manhattan will be a buzz!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#36 Old 28th May 2011 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prodigal Me
I can however have many files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup installed from .sims3pack files using the Sims 3 Launcher, and the game still runs like new. I've tried with and without both; .sims3pack files are the way to go.

Sims3packs are actually installed to the DCCache folder, bundled into larger .dbc or .ebc files. The DCBackup folder is the extracted contents of the Sims3Pack, unbundled- essentially, a bunch of separate packages- a product of the unpacking process and not needed. Therefore, try deleting the DCBackup folder- your CC install does not require these files but the game will still read them- and this could allow you to read more individual package files in your Mods folder.
Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 4:28 AM
any updates on this?
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 3:35 PM
Yes, I too would like to know whether there is a converter to switch package files to Sims3packs in batches. I used to have a number of package files in my game, all neatly merged into several large files. Now I find (since Town Life) that if I include too many of them in my Mods folder, the game is unbearably laggy and slow. It's become unplayable. Removing the package files (except my hacks, which I merged) fixed this problem and the game again runs like new. However I miss some of my favorite package files and would love to have them again, via the launcher. I know it's slow and clunky to install things, and I know it's a pain to get them out again, but (for me) the game sure runs better using files installed in that way than in any other way.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#39 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 3:38 PM
A converter is coming soon, but no batch mode planned as yet. Unfortunately it needs user input to set up the description fields in its current state.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 5:25 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Even converting them singly, as long as the descriptions and thumbnails are intact, would suit me fine at this point! Any eta on this lovely little converter?
#41 Old 3rd Sep 2011 at 6:29 PM
Peter was working on it most of today... at last test it pretended to install via the launcher but was lying lol! Perhaps a week?

Really, the block to a batch process is that the packer would have to read the package contents, which is fine as long as you have strictly one object per package. As soon as it meets any non-standard package, combined packages, even modulars, it's potentially going to mess something up or guess wrong. The way we're planning it would take user input to save it trying to work out what to read in the package.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 12:54 AM
If a easy to use tool gets released I see people packing tuning mods, core mods and script injector mods in to sims3packs. Then when they pack lots and worlds they(tuning mods, core mods and script injector mods) are going to tag along resulting in mod conflicts along with and older versions of mods being installed to peoples games with out them knowing. Resulting in "Mods" getting a even worse name do to the crashes/lost games that will be caused by the mods easily spreading by means of sims3packs of lots.
#43 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 10:02 AM
Well that's a possibility. Anyone who plays their game to have a serious relationship with their sims' lives needs to stick to CC made in EA-authorised ways, using EA's tools. Those of us who enjoy the experimental aspect of the game will want experimental tools that might break their game. Anyone who is intelligent enough to use a computer in the first place is intelligent enough to understand this concept. Unauthorised CC will always carry a risk.

Test Subject
#44 Old 31st Jan 2012 at 1:20 AM
Default Doesn't work for me
Quote: Originally posted by omegastarr82
If packages are going to slow for you then that means you have too many. Weed out the stuff you don't use/need and merge the rest. The launcher is worthless, sim3packs are even more worthless.

I only have like 200 packages, when I compress them, t hey don't show up for some weird reason, and my game neighborhoods don't load with them on and I really need the packages I have for this neighborhood I'm trying to create
Test Subject
#45 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 7:57 PM
If you use Delphy's Multi Extractor on .package files it will change them back to sims 3 pack files. I have done this many times, with no problems. I also checked it with Custard & all was good.

http://modthesims.info/d/364038
#46 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 10:27 PM
Oh also this is now finished: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...opic,198.0.html

Test Subject
#47 Old 25th Jul 2013 at 9:43 AM
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766

This converts package files to sims3pack file, works brilliant
Test Subject
#48 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 1:39 AM
use this, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766 I'm about to test it out on my .package files but all of the package ones already changed to sims 3 files soo yeah I'm just only allowed to have soooo many mods so, I have to delete a bunch.... Sadly... But I believe this is what you're all looking fort...
Test Subject
#49 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MySimsLife1993
use this, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766 I'm about to test it out on my .package files but all of the package ones already changed to sims 3 files soo yeah I'm just only allowed to have soooo many mods so, I have to delete a bunch.... Sadly... But I believe this is what you're all looking fort...

SPOILERS: It doesn't work...
#50 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 8:38 AM
http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...te/uploads/198/ is the new download for the one I mentioned above. Sadly I think I forgot to save the instruction thread.

Page 2 of 2