Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 4:02 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Servo flirting glitch causes sims to randomly rotate while idle and cannot interact properly
I'm running the Ultimate Collection on Windows 10. I have no mods of any sort and I've been pretty conservative when using boolprop. The problem is after having my sim and servo build up to at least friendship, I had the sim flirt with the servo. The flirt worked just fine and the little pink hearts flew up, but after that, they couldn't interact with each other--when one clicks on the other, the only option that shows up is "Appreciate" and when I do try to click on an option, the character will glitch to face a new direction, but nothing else will happen, the task icons fading away like the action is done already. They will still do tasks, but if left idle, they'll keep rotating to new directions. The same thing happened when I tried again, this time having the servo flirt with the sim to the same result. If I invite a sim over after the glitch starts, the sim can't greet the visitor unless the my sim was already close enough to that sim to reach them before the glitch kicks in. The sim goes so far and then stops; the visiting sim doesn't seem to be affected.

I've tried a couple times to get around this--instead of flirting, I had the sim and servo cuddle in bed, making them like each other, which seemed to work for a second until they got up and hugged--before that, they were able to Play together just fine (they played red hands and the punching game when I did more tests). I tried having them flirt, then having the sim flirt with her friend I had her call over, making them like each other and the servo furious, but the servo didn't slap the sim. The servo would stomp his foot and be mad, but that's about it, and the sim and servo kept glitching in different directions. Going back to the bed idea, I actually got them to eventually fall in love and woohoo without problems. I then had them kiss, hug, and even proposed with no problems (although the servo got bad memories of the proposal and marriage, which is a bummer but I can live with those). Even after that, I still can't have them flirt without the original glitch coming up; I'm not sure why I can have them hug now without problems. While I'm not particularly bothered by this, I'm very confused.

I haven't noticed any other major glitches or errors like this--I've gotten one or two messages about an error, but my game's never crashed or lagged badly. I'm pretty new to the game and I'm not entirely sure about how I should go about investigating or fixing this.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 1:14 AM
Hey, LastHaven!

Welcome to TS2.

The glitching-to-face-a-new-direction usually indicates that the sim is repeatedly resetting. If you don't (at that moment) have testingcheatsenabled on, then the sim(s) involved will just keep rotating like that.

Because it's consistently related to a specific action between the two sims, it's very likely that the repeated glitching (and thus, the game's continued attempts to reset the sims) is caused by a mod conflict that you haven't realized is there before, and it's probably a mod which has to do with flirting. (One guess is that the mod in question cannot recognize/deal with servos, which could mean the issue is that the mod is not updated past BG, Uni, or NL---since servos appeared in OFB).

Long-retired TS2 modder Paladin made an incredibly useful utility for the game called the Hack Conflict Detection Utility, or HCDU. You can still download it today by going to our member Bulbizarre's SimWardrobe archive. The program is near the bottom of the list of the Programs subfolder within that SFS archive. Install that (it's a regular Windows program, not something you run inside the game), and let it run a check of your Downloads folder. Any one of the conflicts it lists could be causing your problem, so if you prefer to post the HCDU's results here (preferably as a text file attached to your next post), we can read it for you and see if anything stands out.

By the way, the HCDU doesn't properly find the Downloads folder if you're running TS2 through Origin (usually, just if you have the UC). If yours is installed from discs, though, there should be no issues; however, if you are running the UC, give a shout and we can give additional directions on how to get the HCDU running for you!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Inventor
#3 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 2:48 PM
I'd recommend turning on testing cheats to see what error pops up when you try the flirting. It should also generate an error log in your Logs folder. Those should give some indication of where the error is coming from. If you need help interpreting them, you can post them here for others to have a look at.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2019 at 9:30 PM
Quote:
Because it's consistently related to a specific action between the two sims, it's very likely that the repeated glitching (and thus, the game's continued attempts to reset the sims) is caused by a mod conflict that you haven't realized is there before, and it's probably a mod which has to do with flirting. (One guess is that the mod in question cannot recognize/deal with servos, which could mean the issue is that the mod is not updated past BG, Uni, or NL---since servos appeared in OFB).

While that would make a lot of sense, the truth is I don't have any mods at all yet. At least, not that I'm aware--the only thing in my Downloads file is SewnOutfits.package, so unless that's it, I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks for the advice and the link though.

Quote:
I'd recommend turning on testing cheats to see what error pops up when you try the flirting. It should also generate an error log in your Logs folder. Those should give some indication of where the error is coming from. If you need help interpreting them, you can post them here for others to have a look at.

I'll give this a shot and see what comes up later. Thank you!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 5:00 PM
LastHaven, I hope this works out for you.

I'm actually extra concerned because you say you don't have any mods. You see, unfortunately TS2 as shipped can easily experience neighborhood and even game (entire installation) corruption. Therefore, if this is not a problem caused by a mod (you indeed don't have any if your Downloads folder only has the one file you mention), then it may be a problem caused by corruption that has already occurred in the hood you have been playing. I hope not, but without mods and seeing that glitch...it seems very possible.

You can check here for a list of essential mods, though a few in the first post (especially the anti-respawn ones) are a matter of opinion more than necessity---fortunately reading through the comments in that thread will help you learn more about which are which!

I'd also strongly recommend reading about potentially corrupting actions and corruption in general, here and here.

Know also that once you become educated about corruption, it's not actually that hard to work around in your play; the community here in general has become quite good at that. It's just a lot to take in at first!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Inventor
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 9:10 PM
I have seen a similar glitch that wasn't the result of hood or game corruption. Not exactly, anyway. Sometimes it's the attraction markers have gone wonky, and sometimes it has to do with the sim having been married previously. Denise Jaquet has had that sort of issue in my game before. So it might not be as dire as it seems. Though it is, admittedly, something that can't be fixed without a mod I think. Definitely grabbing some essential mods is a good precaution for when something might happen by accident and to fix things that aren't fixable with in game tools.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 6:02 PM
Thank you, Devon, for offering a moderate view---it's not my intention to come off as alarmist, so I marked your reply Helpful (awhile back, but only just getting time to write an actual reply now!)

LastHaven, if the issue is that your sim had a previous committed romance (married, engaged) to a partner who's since died, that can be fixed using the batbox, which is how many of us refer to the FFS debugger (filename: ffsdebugger). You can find the file for it in my signature (second bullet point). On the batbox object (it's a black box with the Batman symbol on it...you can see where we get the name!), the option is under either the Fix or Nuke menus, so Fix>Dead Romances or Nuke>Dead Romances.

Inventor
#8 Old 17th Sep 2019 at 7:59 PM
It's all right. If it's not something you've had happen in your game, you wouldn't know to suggest it as a possibility. I believe it's Fix - Dead Romances. They might need to do Nuke - Attraction Markers, as well. But that's all dependent on what the error log says, if the game generates one.