Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2007 at 4:52 PM Last edited by skiingiggy : 27th Feb 2007 at 1:47 AM. Reason: Update
Default Updated: New Turtorial: How to link custom rewards to careers with the latest Sim PE
Linking Custom Career Rewards- Latest Sim PE You need the word document at the bottom to see the pics. For the most part it's pretty straight forward but if you need pictures for the part about the guids you can find them here- it's the same way as in superfly's turtorial(only changing the guid for linking it to the career) The document is in Microsoft Word format. If it's requested I can also set it for word pad

Notes: Finish the career before setting the reward if you are using bidou’s career editor or else you will need to re-link the reward. Also be sure to get the permission of the original objects creator before you use it. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but it’s good enough for you to get the gist of it. Also note, the guid in the screenshot and the Guid in the download turtorial are different, but it has been corrected here.

Step 1: Open the package of the item you want to use. I copied the original and renamed it for ease of finding and removing should it cause a problem.

Step 2: Click on the object data folder and change the guid. You will need the guid later, so right it down. Then look down towards the bottom right hand side.(you should be in plug-in view.) you will see a series of check boxes. Uncheck all of them. You need all of them unchecked, not just the function sort.

Step 3: You will see a drop-down menu in the same area. Scroll down until you see any career reward… and pick it. Any one will do. Commit the changes when done. Save the package in an easy to reach place on your computer.

Now it’s time to link the item to the career. What you just did was make it a reward object, and remove it from the normal catalog. Now to link it…

Step 1: Open the behavior function part in the career. You should see CT –careerreward. Click on it. You should see several large boxes. Click on the 3rd one down and click on it. You will see several smaller boxes to the side labeled operands. You will need the object guid here. Place the two numbers underlined in the corresponding colored box, only use your object’s guid instead of this one.

Guid Sample: 002C9511. The first 0x is unimportant.

Step 2: Congratulations! Commit the file and go test the career. If you did it all right the reward will appear in the reward catalog and you should be able to get it after you reach level 5. If you don’t know if it worked you can do what I do and play test it and boolProp newspaper test it ( use testing cheats and shift click the newspaper).

hope this helps!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Turtorial_Linking Rewards.zip (475.9 KB, 404 downloads) - View custom content

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, it is measured by the moments that take our breath away.
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 12:26 AM
Skiingiggy, thanks for the tutorial; but can you please get some actual screen captures? Taking pictures of the monitor with the digital camera is not the best way to show things...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 1:26 PM
I will be updating the pictures in the downloadable one and i'll also upload them here to the thread. It will take a while since i'm using the mixology career i'm working on to do it and its a little while off from being done, but i will be updateing the turtorial.

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, it is measured by the moments that take our breath away.
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Feb 2007 at 9:52 PM
hey how do u take career rewards and turn them into buyable items?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Feb 2007 at 1:53 AM
You have two alternatives:

1) Make a completely different object: clone the reward object using Object Workshop (you find the rewards in the Rewards section of the object list); register the GUID(s) for your clone and then edit the object placement in the OBJD file (you must tick the checkbox for at least one room placement, then tick one function (exactly one, no more no less), and lastly choose from the drop-down list the exact function and subfunction for your object; for example, if you clone the charisma podium, you can tick Livingroom, Hobby and select Hobby/Knowledge).

2) Create an object that overrides the original reward one: use Object Workshop, select the reward from the list and clone it with all the clone options turned off. When the package is created, extract only the Object Data file (only the main one, i.e. the one without 0,0 or 0,1 etc). Then create a new empty package and import the OBJD that you saved earlier; edit the OBJD as explained above, assigning room placement and function sort/subsort; but don't register guids. Save the package; when you put this package in the downloads, you will find the reward in the buy mode catalog (it will still function as a job reward, too).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 4:49 PM Last edited by FennShysa : 3rd Jun 2007 at 4:52 PM.
Thanks for this tutorial. It helped me a lot, but I do have one question. I made a career in which the career reward was the lie detector from the criminal track. I think it's very appropriate to the career, but I wanted it to appear as a separate choice from the criminal reward. So I cloned the object and followed the instructions here. Now I do have two lie detectors in the reward section, however they both have the icon for the criminal career track. I have custom icons for my career, so I don't understand why. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It is the first object I've ever cloned, so I possibly screwed it up somehow.

EDIT:
Actually, I think I discovered the problem. I may be mistaken, but I think the tutorial leaves out a step. It includes instructions for turning an item into a career reward, and for linking the career to that item. But I think you also have to link the item to the career. The problem that I was having was that the cloned lie detector was already linked to the criminal career track. When I looked closely at the object data file in SimPE I found the criminal career GUID in there. I changed it to the GUID for my career and it worked fine in game (my wife tested it for me). I have a screen shot of what I changed, but I don't know how to insert it into this post. But basically, I opened the first object data file in SimPE (I have version 0.62) and selected the hex tab at the bottom. I found the GUID for the criminal career in row a0 and columns 08, 09, 0a, and 0b. It was in there semibackwards. The GUID for the criminal career track is 6C9EBD0E so it looked like this:

............................................08 09 0a 0b
--------------------------------------------------------
a0.........................................0E BD 9E 6C

This is simplified, of course, I left out all of the other values and rows.

All I did was put the GUID for my career in there where the criminal career's GUID was so that it was arranged the same way. Now it works fine. I hope this helps other people out.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 5:53 AM
I'm not sure how to solve this. If you were using a lie detector that was un-modified this tuturial would be useless since you could just use the career editor to link it. Of you modified it, after cloning, then you would simply shange all of the guids and then use the first one. This tut is more for actually changing non career rewards to rewards. Hope this helps! and if not, i hope someone else can help!

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 1st Mar 2008 at 3:51 AM
hi i've got a problem. I have made the custom object and i shows up in the reward catalog but with no icon and you ca't get it after you reach level 5! Help! Please!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 11:48 AM
I've used this tutorial to link the breakdance mat from Apartment Life to my career, but it doesn't show up in the career rewards panel. I'm unsure what I could be doing wrong. Bidous Career editor shows it as linked to the career but it just doesn't show. to be honest I had difficulty getting my head around the cloning the object part and extracting the mesh. In post #6 of this thread Numenor says you should alter the OBJ file. After I extract the mesh should I then focus on the OBJ file and make this the career reward?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 2:17 PM
Using the Bidou Career Editor:

If a reward you want is not in the drop-down list, you can just enter its GUID into the GUID box next to the list, manually. Make sure you enter the GUID from the "master" OBJD of your object, if it is more than one tile large.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 3:22 PM
This object has 12 files in the OBJD list. Do all of these need a new GUID? I'm assuming the 'Master' would be the one at the top of the list, is that right?

Thanks.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 3:32 PM
Did you need to make it a new object? If you just want to link the breakdance mat to the career you can simply give the GUID of the original.

But if you did need it to be a special object because you're customising it, then yes every single OBJD of your cloned object needs its own new GUID. And you have to check all the BHAVs to make sure they're not referring to various parts of it by specific GUID number, or that the guy who dances on it doesn't need to know the new numbers.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 28th Sep 2008 at 5:35 AM
Is there a listing somewhere of the GUIDs for the Maxis Career Rewards, up to Free Time?

Bidous Career Editor only lists the Base + University rewards, & I am interested in attaching some of the newer ones (Seasons/Free Time) to some Custom Careers.

Thanks,

-ZW

**** Leader of the MoonBats! ****
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 8:18 PM Last edited by puppetfish : 21st Nov 2008 at 4:16 AM.
Default Help me please!!
Hello!

Here is my problem!

I've linked the reward, it shows up in the catalog, but it won't become available for use at all. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong! I have SimPE version .72

Anybody who can help me would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Puppetfish

Edit! New information! Ok. Apparently it is linked to the career. I can access it using the testing cheat. And every other career I've downloaded with a reward is behaving the same way! Weird.

But I still would like to get it available in the regular way!

Want to see all my Sims 2 creations, including my Star Trek items? Follow the link below to check out my Blog!

Puppetfish.Blogspot.com

Looking for Franny Sims Meshes? They can be found HERE!
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 9:35 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 4th Mar 2010 at 3:01 PM.
I want a Maxis or custom object as a reward for my custom career. Is that possible too? Where do I find the GUID's I have to use? And how do I add the icon?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)