Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 3:31 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Custom Terrain Downtown Showing as Wrong Terrain Type with Blue Roads.
I'm using twelvecolonies' Urbania terrain for my Downtown. It was working fine, I'd been playing it for a while, and I had it set to concrete terrain type. After my game updated via Origin, I was having some graphics issues (vanishing faces, Sims' portraits being replaced with another Sim's shoulder etc). I'd had similar issues with one CC hair in the past, that was resolved by removing the hair from my Downloads folder then putting it back in . I decided to try to fix my issue by removing everything from Downloads and then putting it all back in (without loading up the game while the Downloads folder was empty). It didn't fix my graphics issue, but that's not the problem I need help with here (getting changed seems to fix that).

The issue that I'm having is that when I went back into my Downtown, it had switched from concrete to lush and as far as I can see there's no way of switching between terrain type once the neighbourhood has been created. I tried making a new Downtown, and ended up with what's in my screenshot - grass and weird blue roads.

When I pasted my CC back in, I put Urbania into my Downloads folder, forgetting it's supposed to go into SC4 terrains. I removed it from Downloads and replaced the files in SC4 Terrains with ones I just reextracted from the archive. My third attempt at creating a Downtown resulted in the same grass with blue roads thing.

I can't figure out what the problem is, because I would have thought that creating a new Downtown would work, considering I'd put all the files back where they were supposed to be.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 5:04 PM
Well, a couple of things to help you sort out things a little more clearly.

You don't need the terrain in SC4 Terrains once you have created the neighbourhood - the game puts a copy of the terrain into the neighbourhood file and it doesn't use the original file at any point thereafter. So putting it in Downloads will have had no effect.

Blue like that usually means the game can't find the relevant texture so I'd say that that problem is more likely to be with something addressing wrongly rather than the terrain itself (or maybe there wasn't a lush version of the terrain in the first place?).

I thought you could change terrain type with a cheat. Ah yes, from the readme that comes with the game:

"Once loaded into the game a neighborhood's default terrain type can still be modified via the following cheat:
1. With the neighborhood you wish to change loaded, open the cheat dialog by pressing Ctrl-Shift-C.
2. Type:
terrainType Desert (Changes current neighborhood terrain type to Desert. Note that the cheat is case sensitive.)
terrainType Temperate (Changes current neighborhood terrain type to grassy terrain. Note that the cheat is case sensitive.)"

The other options are concrete and dirt (I think)

Maybe try that - if you're not sure make a back up of your neighbourhood first.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 6:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've figured out what was wrong. Way back when I first got the Ultimate Collection I had to change a bunch of code in Graphic Rules because the game was confused by my modern video card. When I looked at that screenshot I realised the terrain looked bad, so I went into Graphic Rule and lo and behold all the code had reverted back to how it was originally. I'm not sure how it happened, I guess as a result of the update?. I changed the code again and everything is fixed.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 8:43 PM
If it updated through Origin, that's probably what did it. The update will have copied over older versions of the game files. Annoying. Glad it got fixed.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc