Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Manual download from Sims 3 store?
Dear all,
sorry for bothering you guys with this, I guess every one else but me is running Sims 3 on the same computer they use to go online, and so they won't share my problem.
Point is, I bought Sims 3 via amazon - installed it on my home PC - went to work where my (only) internet connection is - registered online - tried to download Riverview - and failed, because Firefox couldn't get the download started without Sims 3 and its launcher being on the computer. Argh ...

Now, while it's okay at my job to download stuff via the office computers sometimes, there just is no way that I could install the whole Sims 3 there, just to be able to get my Riverview download. But there is no other option offered in the Sims 3 store, nothing like "alternative link via e-mail", "manual download address" or else. I tried contacting someone on the phone, but I can't seem to make it past the waiting list.
What can I do now? Why do they make it so hard to get this Riverview thing if they advertise it as something like a registration reward? If I had known beforehand that only the game itself can download from the store, I wouldn't have registered in the first place. I prefer to download an install myself, not let any game or program run around uncontrolled and stuff files where it thinks fit.
Does anybody have a clue how to handle this? A small extra "Sims Downloader" or something that can take up contact with the store site? I would be so grateful, this is sooooo frustrating ...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:30 PM
Okay, so now I found the other thread relating to this problem in the "discussions" forum ... So, sorry for asking the same thing again!
Still, I couldn't find a solution there either. And I keep thinking there must / should be a way to download and install store stuff manually. I don't want Sims 3 to install files all by itself!!!
Site Helper
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:12 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Jun 2009 at 8:30 PM.
EA doesn't want you to be able to download without checking whether you have an "official" version of the game. This is an attempt on EA's part to foil pirates. Unfortunately, they have decided that attempting to stop pirates is more important than serving their customers. I don't have internet access on my game machine, so I can't download Riverview, even though I have a legally-purchased game.

This is how EA has decided that it should work. If you read the card which was included with your game, the requirements for downloading are:
- internet connection
- EA account
- game registration with valid serial code

They forgot to mention that your internet connection must exist on the same machine as your game installation.

Note that, as with most anti-piracy measures, EA's attempt to stop the pirates has failed; the pirates are happily playing Riverview.