Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 11:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Frequent crashing: "The application will now terminate."
I'm using a new computer. A relative bought me one just for gaming.

But it seems every other time I play TS2, it crashes on me.

I tried deleting the cache, and also playing with no CC. No such luck. It crashes even when I'm loading an empty lot to do work on.

Anybody have advice for me?

Here's my specs, just in case:

Ryzen 5 2400G (3.60 GHz)
16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
1 TB HDD 120 GB SSD
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 12:03 AM
Have you tried the 4GB fix? http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

TS2 can only utilize 2 GB of RAM (no matter how much your computer have) by default. The fix makes more RAM available for the game. You may also want to try some of the other tips from that post. Also make sure your game recognizes your graphic card, particularly if you're on a laptop with 2 cards.

(Keep in mind that TS2 is an old game by today's standards, so even if the computer seemingly is more than powerful enough to run it, there may still be issues you need to bypass for the game to run properly).

There's also some useful informatin about graphic cards, Win10, etc. at Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you tried the 4GB fix? http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

TS2 can only utilize 2 GB of RAM (no matter how much your computer have) by default. The fix makes more RAM available for the game. You may also want to try some of the other tips from that post. Also make sure your game recognizes your graphic card, particularly if you're on a laptop with 2 cards.

(Keep in mind that TS2 is an old game by today's standards, so even if the computer seemingly is more than powerful enough to run it, there may still be issues you need to bypass for the game to run properly).

There's also some useful informatin about graphic cards, Win10, etc. at Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21

I tried downloading the 4GB Fix. Whenever I open it up, it just asks me to save it to a place in my computer. I tried deleting it and reinstalling. Same thing happened again.

Any other ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsinTheCity
I tried downloading the 4GB Fix. Whenever I open it up, it just asks me to save it to a place in my computer. I tried deleting it and reinstalling. Same thing happened again.

Thanks in advance!

I don't use a PC, but I do know that this site has a lot of help for this kind of issue: LeeFish Forum , so go to LeeFish and post about your issue there and look at some of the Threads that are there.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 4:05 AM Last edited by leefish : 6th Sep 2018 at 4:32 AM.
I would say better look at the Jessa Channel .. Crashing is unlikely to be solved at leefish. Sorry.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Instructor
#6 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsinTheCity

Thanks in advance!

Try it again. But this time, carefully read ALL the directions. Looks like you are not applying it correctly. You don't save it, you have to apply it to your .exe file from your latest EP.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 8:51 PM
I didn't remember if I had applied the patch; to check this I followed her directions to go to mydocs/EAgames/sims2/logs/config file. But config file was not there; found it by going to C/users..documents/EA/SIms2. In that config file it does show 4096 MB memory, which she says shows I DO have the patch, and it has applied. But my game IS STILL crashing if I play for a long time, as in have to power off the computer. Does that sound like the patch really is working, but something else is wrong. What?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
But my game IS STILL crashing if I play for a long time, as in have to power off the computer. Does that sound like the patch really is working, but something else is wrong. What?

The game does have a bit of a memory leak, so if you play it for awhile, especially if you have a lot of large CC in it, the game will eventually bloat up and crash because it's using too much memory. Mine has done this occasionally even with the 4GB patch installed. I need to make sure I'm not running many other programs at the same time (I should get more RAM installed, but I'm too lazy to bother.)

Laptop users may want to watch their machine's temperature since Sims 2 has also been known to cause problems with overheating, which may also make your game crash. There are several utilities that can monitor your computer's temperature for you and warn you if it's getting too hot. Some laptops may even come with something like already installed.

In my case, I've found that it's good to shut the game down after an hour or two, let it sit (or run Hoodchecker on it or something) to let the computer rest and cool down for a few minutes before starting it back up again.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 5:59 PM
I have 8GB RAM, and more cooling than standard on this Windows 7 (special order). Thought that ment it could take by binge-playing. But guess will have to do SEMI-binging.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 6:37 PM
I have 8GB on my current machine too, but I still have to watch how much RAM it uses, especially if I have a web browser or other program running at the same time.

I always run Sims 2 in a window, so at least when it does crash it doesn't fubar anything else.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 1:26 AM
The directions from Jessa were too complicated for me. Instead, I had a friend help me set it up. Afterwards, the game kept flashing back to the desktop. And I received a weird blank black box with no dialogue.

So I rebooted my computer with System Restore. Then I installed the game again. I'm now able to play for hours on end without any more crashing. So yes, it was a complicated fix. But it indeed worked.