Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 4:00 PM Last edited by Orilon : 7th Sep 2018 at 8:37 PM. Reason: Solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default All Apartment Life clothes icons in CAS/Body Shop look like the same wrong outfit
Solved by uninstalling the disc version and installing Ultimate Collection. I guess there was something majorly wrong with my disc instillation that prevented it from showing those clothes properly. I can't take pictures with Ultimate Collection, but at least its fixed.

I recently re-installed Sims 2 using discs instead of the Ultimate collection, and I am having problems with the Apartment Life full body outfits for Adult Female and Adult Males. Teens show the correct outfit icon, but the adults don't.

This is what the wrong outfit is for adult females:

This is what the wrong outfit is for adult males:

I tried deleting the thumbnails from the thumbnail folder, the wrong icons were still there when I started the game again. I tried CRTL+Right clicking on the wrong thumbnails, but it did not change anything.

I tried taking out my downloads folder to see if something in there may be affecting those outfits, but it did not change when I started the game again. I tried deleting the EA GAMES folder to let it generate a new one. That did help, but it was short term. The next time I started the game without deleting the EA GAMES folder, the wrong outfits/icons were back again.

I am out of ideas. Is there anything else I can do to fix it, or am I going have to go the uninstall/re-install route? If so can I just uninstall Apartment Life? or am I going to have to uninstall everything?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 5:34 PM
That doesn't look good. Do you have any CC clothes at all?

Before going the route of reinstalling, pull out the contents of the "Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2" folder so it's empty (put the files/folders on the Desktop or an external hardrive or similar, so you have a backup of your original game) and run the game. This makes the files regenerate from the install files. See if that does anything to the thumbnail files.

If you still have the same problem, check if any of the TS2 files have been quarantined by your antivirus. Happens from time to time.

Reinstaling can sometimes cause more trouble than it fixes, so always try everything else first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 8:19 PM Last edited by Orilon : 6th Sep 2018 at 8:32 PM. Reason: Add info
I have default replacements and a few cc shirts such as this: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=228762. I took my downloads out which included all the CC and the wrong outfits still remained. Wouldn't it have fixed it if it was a CC problem?

I deleted the EA GAMES folder to force it to generate new files. It helped, but only short term, the next time I started the game without re-generating the files the problems were back.

I checked my anti-virus quarantine and didn't see any Sims 2 files. ESET has never messed with Sims 2 files as long as I have had it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 9:04 PM
What are your graphic settings? Some CC clothes (maybe also defaults) may require the "sim detail" to be on high.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 2:57 AM
The Sim detail is on high, but this is not CC or default replacements. These are clothes that are supposed to have come with the Apartment Life EP that are not showing correctly.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I deleted the EA GAMES folder to force it to generate new files. It helped, but only short term, the next time I started the game without re-generating the files the problems were back.

I checked my anti-virus quarantine and didn't see any Sims 2 files. ESET has never messed with Sims 2 files as long as I have had it.

Have you checked your antivirus exclusions list? If the thumbs are showing up okay at first but corrupting the next time you play, it could be that the thumbnail file is being file locked. I always add my Documents/ EA Games folder as well as the [install location]/ EA Games folder to my AV exclusions.
https://support.eset.com/kb2153/?viewlocale=en_US
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:42 AM
It's not the thumbnails, though. You can see in the picture that it looks like that outfit on the sim. If it were a thumbnail problem the clothes would show up when the sim was outfitted.

I have this problem with a small handful of vanilla outfits. Sometimes it's because a default replacement has hopelessly confused the mesh, but it started happening before I started adding custom content. And I don't have an anti-virus on my gaming machine, because I don't have internet on it. I have never been able to sort it out, but it's never been this severe, either.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 4:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to do. I want to be able to use those outfits (as Peni said, the outfit shows wrong on the Sim also in both CAS and Bodyshop), but it doesn't seem like there is a way to fix it. This is happening right after installing the disc versions of Sims 2. If I go back to the Ultimate Collection I will have the outfits (hopefully), but its too dark to play is there a way to fix the darkness or am I SOL?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 5:04 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Sep 2018 at 5:16 PM.
Those are two of the go-to outfits the game shows when it can't find the proper mesh references to clothes. Is this a problem only with the Apartment Life full-body adult outfits, or does it happen to other AL outfits, too? And are AL furniture etc. showing in the Buy/Build menus?

Do you have any CC in your Downloads folder that could cause this, for instance default replacements, hiders, default replcements you need to put in the intall files (some need to be in the Bins folder), anything placed in other folders in the "The Sims 2" folder, or anything of that sort?

Could be an installation issue. Did you first have the UC and then install the disc versions, on the same computer? If so, did you make sure to properly uninstall? If you install more than one version of Sims 2 (including if you uninstall one version and install another), the pc's registry files can get a bit scrambled, and you may need to clean up those. I think I remember seeing a help topic on it somewhere here on MTS.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 7:05 PM
I did have the disc versions then the Ultimate Collection then the disc versions on the same computer. I thought I got the left over bits after each uninstall by using registry cleaners like CCleaner and JV Powertools.

I did have a few CC that was in the Bins folder, but taking them out did not help. I stil had the issue with the AL fullbody clothing not showing up.
Alchemist
#11 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 7:36 PM
deleting the cache files might fix the thumbnails.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 8:39 PM
Solved by uninstalling the disc version and re-installing Ultimate Collection. One of the issues with Ultimate Collection is that I can't take pictures to show that its solved, but at least its fixed.