Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 4:38 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Graphics Slowly Degrading in Quality
I've been playing TS2 for many years, but just recently as I was playing I noticed that almost all of the textures (skintones, grass, clothing, etc.) were really low quality. At first, I thought it may have been an issue with some of my skintones, but after I changed them, the issue persisted. Recently I noticed that right as I start the game up, everything looks clean and HQ, but as I let the game it, the textures slowly became more and more blurry. I run the game on an old P.O.S. HP 2000 laptop, which may be contributing, but as the game runs fine while the textures are HQ, I don't see a reason for the texture quality to decrease as I play. I wouldn't care much about it, but the textures become worse than console games from 2002, and it's really distracting and ugly. I can include pictures if necessary. If anyone knows if I can, or how to fix it, please tell me.

PC SPECS:
Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~1.3GHz
Memory: 10240MD RAM
DX Version: DirectX 12

All responses appreciated! :D
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 29th Sep 2018 at 4:51 PM
I had the same thing happening when my old crappy laptop was overheating. Is your machine getting very hot as it runs?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Oct 2018 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by foxmanic
I had the same thing happening when my old crappy laptop was overheating. Is your machine getting very hot as it runs?

Yeah, it heats up a little, but it never gets too bad.
I'll try putting a fan on it though now just to be safe
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Oct 2018 at 11:10 PM
It might be a memory management issue - the longer you run the game, the worse it gets. It's telling, in this case, that the textures look ok when you start.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 12:25 AM
overheating may be the thing. Also this is not very fortunate connection - low grade CPU, with embedded GPU without separate VRAM for W10 machine. At last try avoid to pipeline DirectX 9 through DX 12 interface, it won't help (though it's not as bad as DX10 case). Install DirectX 9c - they peacefully coexists with any newer ones, let the game work with drivers for which was built. Also - they will be much more efficient.

The machine has shared RAM/VRAM - how many RAM do you have? Such symptoms may suggest you run out of memory. For this particular construction 8GB is really bare minimum for comfort (W10 will eat 2GB just for the beginning, at last 1GB must be reserved for GPU and additional 1GB for practical cache otherwise it will be swapfile nightmare).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
overheating may be the thing. Also this is not very fortunate connection - low grade CPU, with embedded GPU without separate VRAM for W10 machine. At last try avoid to pipeline DirectX 9 through DX 12 interface, it won't help (though it's not as bad as DX10 case). Install DirectX 9c - they peacefully coexists with any newer ones, let the game work with drivers for which was built. Also - they will be much more efficient.

The machine has shared RAM/VRAM - how many RAM do you have? Such symptoms may suggest you run out of memory. For this particular construction 8GB is really bare minimum for comfort (W10 will eat 2GB just for the beginning, at last 1GB must be reserved for GPU and additional 1GB for practical cache otherwise it will be swapfile nightmare).

I have 10GB of RAM, and I kept my pc from overheating, but the issue persisted, and I will try installing DX9c
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 2:58 AM
it definitelly should help with efficiency (older drivers' are less resources hungry) though if you have got such amount of RAM it should not be "lack of memory" problem

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 3:22 AM
Sims 2 will only use 2 Gb of ram unless you have the 4Gb memory fix.

Your computer is very low end running at only 1.3 Gz for Windows 10 and Sims 2.

See here:
Quote:
Here are the The Sims 2 Apartment Life system requirements (minimum) CPU SPEED: 1.3 GHz processor (2.0 for Vista)

1.3 GHz is for Windows xp and 2.0 GHz for Windows Vista and above.

You keep playing Sims 2 on that computer you will burn it up.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Oct 2018 at 5:45 PM
well, while I usually argue against some popular beliefs like the game needs serious amount of power (oh man...) in this particular case I second @marka93

This CPU is equivalent (roughly) of ATOM line Intel devices, which means it's completely unable to reasonable handle anything around Windows 10, even if you try to trim this system, which is not easy, tedious and unrewarding, honestly, still - it won't work well. For The Great Sim's sake - what kind of genius put W10 on that machine!???

The game should work at acceptable level (even UC type but it's depending of what you call acceptable, ofc) *if* you put the machine under more reasonable system configuration. Though I dunno if that machine even will work with XP (there definitelly will be problem with drivers) and also W7 may be a bit too much (which is currently hard to obtain legally, though it's still possible if you're careful and dedicated, a lot of scam and that kind of stuff flies around).