Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 11:56 AM
Default Hail in the Summer?
For some reason in my game it never hails in the winter,but it does in the summer O_O. Has this happened to anyone? :confused:
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ark_Sky
For some reason in my game it never hails in the winter,but it does in the summer O_O. Has this happened to anyone? :confused:

I get hail in spring and summer. Not seen it in winter yet myself... perhaps because hail is more associated with thunderstorms than snowstorms...
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissTech
I get hail in spring and summer. Not seen it in winter yet myself... perhaps because hail is more associated with thunderstorms than snowstorms...
Hmm..I see...I always thought of it as due to really cold weather,and how it says in the "see hail"fear my sims have, it says "you are more likely to see hail in the winter"...=/
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 7:41 PM
Um isn't hail supposed to occur mostly in the summer anyway? Hail doesn't really occur in the winter because the atmosphere isn't unstable. I mean in a sense hail is frozen rain. But hail is really when the upper atmosphere is cold and the lower atmosphere is hot and sublimation occurs. Agh I can't remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail

Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:52 PM
I have NEVER seen hail in the summer in real life. I HAVE seen it in winter and fall. If that is true,I guess the game makers made that info wrong...
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 9:55 PM
:shrug: who knows there are usually hail falls during the summer months over here in Massachusetts. (well at least the game has had a new feel for almost a year. can you believe that sims have had seasons in almost a year?!)

Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:18 AM
Granted, we hardly get thunderstorms at all here in Oregon, but I have almost never seen hail outside of Spring/Summer. Winter is more likely to see freezing rain or sleet than hail (hmm, I just realized there's no freezing rain in the Sims, we get that more than snow here).

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 1:37 AM

I know I am 10 years too late. but the reason why hail occurs in thunderstorms is because that thunderstorm clouds are higher and the heat rises up faster. Because there is an interaction with cold air and hot air it causes an updraft. Hail is just rain particles that get frozen and fall to the ground. when the cloud can no longer support the weight. I used to live in Florida and I remember it was hailing and my brother went outside in it. I was in a bad thunderstorm at work a few years ago and it was hailing there too. In snowstorms it is too cold for any type of rain. Also the clouds for snow storms are not as high because the warm air does not have enough time to rise and accelerate to interact with the cold air at higher levels. The reason sometimes there is thunder snow is because the warm air from mountains can sometimes rise up quickly which then creates lightning/thunder, but the clouds are still too low and it is still too cold for hail or rain. Sleet or freezing rain happens because it snows in the clouds, it melts, and then freezes again.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 1:40 AM
I have NEVER seen hail in the summer in real life. I HAVE seen it in winter and fall. If that is true,I guess the game makers made that info wrong...

In that case you are thinking of sleet/frozen rain. I love weather. Being in it is so fascinating and sometimes driving in it is so fun!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 4:07 AM
@Transgendergirl2 Welcome to MTS. Can I ask you please not to resurrect old threads, make a new one. Also if you can not double post which is also against site rules. Use the edit button when adding more unless a post really does need bumping.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Locked thread | Locked by: joandsarah77 Reason: Old Thread