1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 3:26 PM
[QUOTE=Smashed Cat]Alright, Treeag's TestingCheatsEnabled and Edit it CAS mod isn't working. So I tried to edit the commands.ini file but it says Access is denied no matter what I do, and I'm running as administrator. I tried editing the properties and the security for the file but still, access is denied.[/QUOTE

i just edited the whole EA map for the user to full permission and write. maybe a bit overkill but it worked for me
Advertisement
Scholar
#227 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nicolien76
[QUOTE=Smashed Cat]Alright, Treeag's TestingCheatsEnabled and Edit it CAS mod isn't working. So I tried to edit the commands.ini file but it says Access is denied no matter what I do, and I'm running as administrator. I tried editing the properties and the security for the file but still, access is denied.[/QUOTE

i just edited the whole EA map for the user to full permission and write. maybe a bit overkill but it worked for me

That's what I ended up doing in windows 7 too.

Another way to edit that file, is to drag it out onto the desktop or into a folder you have full control in, change it and then paste it back in to the correct folder to overwrite the one that's there. (it works in windows 7, don't know if it will work that way in windows 8)

Before you edit it yourself though, do you have the d3dx9_31.dll file in your bin folder? Those 2 mods you mentioned require that file to work.
Lab Assistant
#228 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
[QUOTE=nicolien76]

That's what I ended up doing in windows 7 too.

Another way to edit that file, is to drag it out onto the desktop or into a folder you have full control in, change it and then paste it back in to the correct folder to overwrite the one that's there. (it works in windows 7, don't know if it will work that way in windows 8)

Before you edit it yourself though, do you have the d3dx9_31.dll file in your bin folder? Those 2 mods you mentioned require that file to work.

I tried to do that; even my techy bf who plays Sims tried it too. Windows 8 is so stupid. And I had the .dll file in my TSM>Game>Bin folder but I moved it to TSM>Game>Bin>bin folder just to see. The rest of my mods are just in the Electronic Arts>TSM folder. I have the Resource.cfg and Treeag's mods in my Mods folder. That's right, isn't it?

This magic goblin armor smells a little musty.
Scholar
#229 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Smashed Cat
[QUOTE=ChickieTeeta]

I tried to do that; even my techy bf who plays Sims tried it too. Windows 8 is so stupid. And I had the .dll file in my TSM>Game>Bin folder but I moved it to TSM>Game>Bin>bin folder just to see. The rest of my mods are just in the Electronic Arts>TSM folder. I have the Resource.cfg and Treeag's mods in my Mods folder. That's right, isn't it?

The resource file sits outside the mods folder, just leave it loose inside the TSM folder.

Inside your mods folder should be a folder called packages, the mods should all be placed inside the packages folder.

Move the resource file where it should be, set up the packages folder, and then try putting the dll back in the Game\Bin folder, and see if the mods work now.
Lab Assistant
#230 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=Smashed Cat]

The resource file sits outside the mods folder, just leave it loose inside the TSM folder.

Inside your mods folder should be a folder called packages, the mods should all be placed inside the packages folder.

Move the resource file where it should be, set up the packages folder, and then try putting the dll back in the Game\Bin folder, and see if the mods work now.

I did that and sadly its still not working. Its probably because I need to have the latest patch, but with Windows 8 TSM won't start up if it has the latest patch. So I'll probably have to get Windows 7 installed. Ugh.

Scholar
#231 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=ChickieTeeta]

I did that and sadly its still not working. Its probably because I need to have the latest patch, but with Windows 8 TSM won't start up if it has the latest patch. So I'll probably have to get Windows 7 installed. Ugh.

do you have any mods at all that are working?
Lab Assistant
#232 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 1:11 AM
[QUOTE=Smashed Cat]

do you have any mods at all that are working?

Not for The Sims Medieval. TS3 with Supernatural works great with my mods; no problems at all. This is the first time I've ever tried modding TSM because it annoyed me how I couldn't change the way the kids looked and so forth.

Scholar
#233 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 2:37 AM
[QUOTE=ChickieTeeta]

Not for The Sims Medieval. TS3 with Supernatural works great with my mods; no problems at all. This is the first time I've ever tried modding TSM because it annoyed me how I couldn't change the way the kids looked and so forth.

Have you tried to install any except Treeag's ones?
Best thing to do to check the folders are set up right is to install a small instantly noticeable texture mod.

Install something like the no zzz's mod. It's just a very simple texture change that stops the zzz's from showing when a sim is asleep. Let me know if you can see the z's or not.

Link to download no zzz's:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...305#post3807305
Lab Assistant
#234 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 7:32 AM
Nope, the z's are still showing. I know it has to do with the patch, it has to be.

Scholar
#235 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:27 AM
Nope, the z's are still showing. I know it has to do with the patch, it has to be.

It's more likely that your folders still aren't set up right.

Did you get the resource.cfg file and the dll from the beginning of this thread? or from somewhere else?
Lab Assistant
#236 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:06 AM
It's more likely that your folders still aren't set up right.

Did you get the resource.cfg file and the dll from the beginning of this thread? or from somewhere else?

From the beginning of this thread.

Scholar
#237 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:40 AM
From the beginning of this thread.

Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval
Put the Resource.cfg file in here
Also in this folder
Make a new folder called Mods
Open the Mods folder
Make a new folder called Packages
Open Packages and place your package files in here.

Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin
Put the d3dx9_31.dll in here

(Note the caps on the folder names, which might be your problem if your folders and files are already set up like this.) (Check the Resource file as well.)

You said a few posts up that you tried putting the Resource file in the bin folder, was that before you reinstalled it?.....just that there's a file of the same name in that folder but with different information in it.
Lab Assistant
#238 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:55 AM
Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval
Put the Resource.cfg file in here
Also in this folder
Make a new folder called Mods
Open the Mods folder
Make a new folder called Packages
Open Packages and place your package files in here.

Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin
Put the d3dx9_31.dll in here

(Note the caps on the folder names, which might be your problem if your folders and files are already set up like this.) (Check the Resource file as well.)

You said a few posts up that you tried putting the Resource file in the bin folder, was that before you reinstalled it?.....just that there's a file of the same name in that folder but with different information in it.

I ended up moving the resource file to Game/Bin when you mentioned it earlier. But I have to reinstall my game because the controls aren't showing up at all on Live View no matter what I do. So I'll just make sure that I'm following your instructions when I set up the Mods again.

Scholar
#239 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 4:34 AM
I ended up moving the resource file to Game/Bin when you mentioned it earlier. But I have to reinstall my game because the controls aren't showing up at all on Live View no matter what I do. So I'll just make sure that I'm following your instructions when I set up the Mods again.

You make it sound like I told you to put it there lol, but you said this is where you put it in your very first post here. I asked straight after what it says in the first line of that file now, but you didn't reply to that.

If you haven't re-installed already since you put the file there, then I think you've overwritten the file that should be in the bin folder. If you open it in notepad and tell me the first line in it I can tell you if it's the correct file or not.
It's a 2.29kb text file, hardly worth a reinstall if that's what your problem is. It contains the IDs for file types in use by the game. I'm not saying having the right one will fix the problem you're having, but it's surely worth a try before you go about re-installing the game.
Lab Assistant
#240 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 4:54 AM
No I had to reinstall because my game was being buggy with the controls; totally unrelated to the Mods issue.

But now I made sure that I put Resource.cfg in Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/The Sims Medieval, then I went to Game/Bin and put the d3dx9_31.dll file in there, both extracted properly from the zip folders. Then I made a folder in Electronic Arts/TSM called Mods, opened it, put another folder in there named Packages, and that's where I'm going to extract my .package files. That I understand now. But I don't think it'll work because I can't update my patch because of Windows 8.

What's the name of the 2.29kb text file you're wanting me to open?

Also, I'm looking through my folders, and I'm seeing some stuff I'm not sure is supposed to be like that. Again I just reinstalled it and everything, so I'm just double checking.

TSM/Game Data/Shared there are two folders that say Packaged and NonPackaged, and underneath them is Resource.cfg. I didn't put it there; is it supposed to be there?

Inside Game Data/ Win32 Resource.cfg is also in there. Again, I didn't put it in there.

Scholar
#241 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 5:02 AM
What's the name of the 2.29kb text file you're wanting me to open?

It's the Resource.cfg. The one that's in your bin folder, but if you've just re-installed the game again then it won't be an issue anymore.

Also, I'm looking through my folders, and I'm seeing some stuff I'm not sure is supposed to be like that. Again I just reinstalled it and everything, so I'm just double checking.

TSM/Game Data/Shared there are two folders that say Packaged and NonPackaged, and underneath them is Resource.cfg. I didn't put it there; is it supposed to be there?

Inside Game Data/ Win32 Resource.cfg is also in there. Again, I didn't put it in there.

Yes they're both meant to be there.

And the majority of mods will run just fine without the patch. Try the no zzz's again to check it's working.
Test Subject
#242 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 6:18 AM
Hi there. I don't know if anyone is still checking this thread but I just recently re-installed The Sims Medieval and Pirates & Nobles and am running into some problems modding my game. I'm a Sims 3 player so I understand how that modding process works and how modding the Sims Medieval is both similar and different. I read all of the posts on this thread and am 100% positive I followed every step to the letter but yet still no mods I try are working. Specifically I'm trying to get Shimrod's Unlock Ambitions and Easier Achievements to work.

Some basic information about my situation my games are Origin digital downloads patched to version 2.0.113.00107. I'm pretty sure this is the most recent patch. My game is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval. I installed the Resource.cfg file from the first post into the aforementioned root folder. I installed the d3dx9_31.dll file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\Game\Bin not the bin within the Bin folder which I've read is a somewhat common mistake. I created the Mods folder within C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval and the Packages folder within it which is where I installed Shimrod's mod.

Despite all of that the mod isn't working... I also installed the new intro mod from that link in the thread, the one that works with P&N but when I start the game the stupid P&N intro plays and the achievements do not get easier... I use 7-zip to unzip and extract mods as a final note.

Any help would be very much appreciated because some of those achievements take FOREVER...
Scholar
#243 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 11:18 AM
What version of windows are you running?
Test Subject
#244 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 2:58 PM
Windows 7.
Instructor
#245 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 4:59 PM
It's strange that Origin is installing in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts. On Windows 7, unless you changed the install directory, it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims Medieval. If you've found your exe and stuff I'll have to assume you have the right directory, but check anyway.

Second likely cause is that you've made a typo somewhere. I've made a thread with all the files in a zip file that you can just extract to your install directory. Grim's Medieval Mod Setup. Check to make sure you have not mispelled anything, or try this zip which is what I use anytime I reinstall Medieval.

[EDIT] You are in the wrong directory. I just checked and I also have a C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts, but the mods and stuff must be added to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims Medieval. Delete everything you added to the Electronic Arts folder, as it may cause strange results if left in.
Test Subject
#246 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 9:50 PM
I physically went in and changed the install directory in Origin's settings. All of my Sims games install to that folder, which I made myself. All the exe files for the game and launcher are in that folder. When I had the game originally it was installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims Medieval but I started having problems with Sims 3 which was also in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games folder and an EA guy told me to try changing the instal directory when I reinstalled the Sims 3 so I just left it that way.

Anyway I have checked everything like 20 times and redownloaded all the files in case I got a corrupted file still nothing works.
Test Subject
#247 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 4:36 PM
Ok so I am trying to make the mods folder, but how do I get to the install folder for TSM? Like, I know this sounds confusing but do i go to my computer then click on the disc drive and add it there, if so I can't add a new folder? Or am I doing something wrong?
Field Researcher
#248 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 6:25 PM Last edited by RoryAusten22 : 4th Nov 2013 at 6:59 AM.
It's very depressing to discover that after many hours spent reading through the various threads that I'm too stupid to figure our how to install the mods. I used Grim's Medieval Mod Setup, downloaded the latest version of his core, unzipped it, put it in my package file and then nothing. Zilch. Nada. My game loaded as usual and was exactly the same as it ever was. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I wish there was a video on You Tube that I could watch.
Edit: Hooray!! I am now less stupid!! I read through everything again, repeated the steps and it worked!! The only thing I would say to new people is, unzip the files to your desktop then put them in the folders. Grim's core works great so far. I'm very happy to have buydebug and killer spells! Thanks Grim and Chickee and all who took the time to give advice on this thread. I'm very grateful for your patience and kindness. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#249 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 4:03 AM
I tried all the day and finaly nothing works and now the game has stopped to work...
Is it because I download the last update for Medieval ? I don't know... But it's more complicated than TS2 or TS3 !
Test Subject
#250 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 11:44 AM
Okay. Finaly, it's working... I have simply deleted all my packages except the anti-censor. And now, it's working. One of my package seems to provocate bugs... I prefer that...
Finaly I am not stupid at all....

To resume, everything must be installed in the Program Files folder of the game, and not in the folder of My Documents (like TS3)
For exemple :
My installation is :
F:\Mes Jeux\Electronic Arts\Les Sims Medieval\Resource.cfg
F:\.......................................\Les Sims Medieval\Mods\Packages
F:\........................................\Les Sims Medieval\Game\bin\d3dx9_31.dll

So, for a majority of you, it's C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims Medieval\
Now, I think my exemple will help some users who was lost like me... ;-)
Page 10 of 13