Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 9:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default "Out of video memory" crash
I just got a new computer and installed my game, it's running fine except for the fact that it randomly crashes with the error "out of video memory". I have graphic rules maker installed, which someone said should fix the problem, but it didn't. I really am not sure what the issue could be. I have tons of space and a great graphics card. I'm using the ultimate collection. Here's my computer specs:

AMD (FX) (tm) - 6300 Six Core Processor 3.50 GHz
8 GB ram
64 bit operating system
windows 10

Does anyone know what the issue is?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 9:59 PM
a possible solution might be to reduce game's graphics settings.

some chance of problem relating to operating system. playing in compatibility mode might help; or playing in a virtual computer.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 10:52 PM
Check the sticky thread about memory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:24 PM Last edited by iloveh900 : 19th Jun 2018 at 11:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check the sticky thread about memory.

I attempted to follow the tutorial, but when I applied the 4gb patch to my game, it became unplayable and I had to repair my game. It said something about coreactivation.dlll missing. So, I'm not sure following that tutorial is an option for me, but I posted about my problem in the forum too.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 11:58 PM
I'm sure there would be a way to get the 4gbt patch working. gdayars could help but she is away right now, moving house and helping with her new grandson. Without it your game is not going to work very well. Your memory crash could be because you don't have it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 12:58 AM
Is that using the little exe to apply the 4gb patch? I thought you could also do it manually?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Is that using the little exe to apply the 4gb patch? I thought you could also do it manually?

Yeah, I just followed the tutorial by TheJessaChannel. I downloaded a 4gb patch and installed it, but now it's giving me an error message and I can't play my game. I saw other people are having the issue as well, but I haven't found a solution.
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 3:31 PM
"Out of VIDEO memory" would imply that the game isn't using your video card's texture memory properly. The 4GB patch affects the usage of system memory (the RAM plugged into your machine's motherboard), NOT the separate RAM (part of which is used for texture memory) that sits on the video card itself, so the 4GB patch won't fix an out-of-video-memory problem. The game, as is, doesn't understand how to "talk to" newer graphics cards and so can't use the memory properly without some help, so my guess would be that you need to set the Graphics Rules Maker to force the game to use all of your graphics card's texture memory because it's not set to do that, by default. There's a drop-down on the GRM's interface that you use to do that. If you don't know what your card's texture memory is, the GRM will tell you if the card's in its database. If it isn't, then you can look up your card's specs online.

As for the game not starting after applying the 4GB patch, did you move the modified EXE from TS Bin to CS Bin in the Program Files? And did you do it by cutting in the TS Bin (NOT copying) and then pasting in the CS Bin. I'm pretty sure that doing that properly clears up the "My game won't start!" problem. Also, exactly what error message are you getting when go to start the game?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 4:46 PM
Using the UC:

The executable that needs to be patched (M&G) is found here:
(OS - where your operating system is) - Program files (X86) - Origin games - TheSims2UltimateCollection - FunwithPets - SP9 - TSBin.

Just patch it there, and then use then make a new shortcut.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
"Out of VIDEO memory" would imply that the game isn't using your video card's texture memory properly. The 4GB patch affects the usage of system memory (the RAM plugged into your machine's motherboard), NOT the separate RAM (part of which is used for texture memory) that sits on the video card itself, so the 4GB patch won't fix an out-of-video-memory problem. The game, as is, doesn't understand how to "talk to" newer graphics cards and so can't use the memory properly without some help, so my guess would be that you need to set the Graphics Rules Maker to force the game to use all of your graphics card's texture memory because it's not set to do that, by default. There's a drop-down on the GRM's interface that you use to do that. If you don't know what your card's texture memory is, the GRM will tell you if the card's in its database. If it isn't, then you can look up your card's specs online.

As for the game not starting after applying the 4GB patch, did you move the modified EXE from TS Bin to CS Bin in the Program Files? And did you do it by cutting in the TS Bin (NOT copying) and then pasting in the CS Bin. I'm pretty sure that doing that properly clears up the "My game won't start!" problem. Also, exactly what error message are you getting when go to start the game?

When you are referencing my graphic card's memory, is that the approx. total memory when i type in dxdiag? If so, my total memory is 6080. Do you mean I should write that in the texture memory area of GRM?

If I do this correctly ^ will I even need the 4gb patch? I've already reinstalled my game twice due to that patch. I can try again, but would prefer not to, if this is the correct fix!
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iloveh900
When you are referencing my graphic card's memory, is that the approx. total memory when i type in dxdiag? If so, my total memory is 6080. Do you mean I should write that in the texture memory area of GRM?

Run the Graphics Rules Maker, and click on its "Device Info" tab. Make sure the video card you're using for the game (If you're on a laptop, some have both integrated video and a dedicated card, and you'll want to use the dedicated one for any gaming) is showing in the drop-down at the top of the list on that tab. Then, one of the lines on that tab will be labeled "Texture Memory." In my case, my video card has 2GB of memory, and the texture memory is 1697MB of that. Your texture memory will never be as large as your card's total memory. Note down your card's texture memory and then, on the "Settings" tab of the Graphics Rules Maker, on the drop-down labeled "Force Texture Memory," set it to whatever your graphics card's texture memory (NOT total memory) is.

This may solve your out-of-video-memory problem, but it might not. It is a non-fiddly thing to try, however. As I said, the game is old and doesn't really know how to deal with newer graphics cards, so you kind of have to stab around sometimes until things work as they should.

Quote:
If I do this correctly ^ will I even need the 4gb patch? I've already reinstalled my game twice due to that patch. I can try again, but would prefer not to, if this is the correct fix!

That depends on how you play. TS2 is an old game. As such, it cannot by itself use more than 2GB of system memory, no matter how much system RAM your machine has. If it attempts to do so, it will crash. The 4GB patch allows the game to use up to 4GB of system memory rather than 2. Whether or not you need more than 2GB depends on your game and how you play it. Do you use a lot of CC, where said CC has high-res textures and/or high-poly meshes? Common things that are high-res and/or high-poly are higher-res terrain defaults (like CuriousB's or the even higher-res versions of them and Maxis's terrains that I made), custom skies/horizons, water mods, newer custom hairs, and higher-res neighborhood deco (Like Criquette's stuff, for instance). Generally, if it looks good, then it's eating more resources than stuff that doesn't look so good. Also, do you play large, heavily decorated neighborhoods at all high graphics settings?

If your answers to those questions are "yes," then you are very likely to run up against the 2GB limit, and it would be in your best interests to get the 4GB patch working. If your answers are no and/or you're willing to do without those resource-eating things, then you might be OK. I'd say that if you get the texture memory issue settled and you stop getting video-memory errors/crashes but you end up crashing a lot while playing, you probably need to either scale back your neighborhoods/CC/graphics settings OR get the 4GB patch working. If you get the texture memory thing fixed and you don't experience crashing during normal play, then you're probably OK without the patch.

EDIT: Also, do not reinstall your game! Doing so can cause lingering things in your computer's registry that can cause the game to not work properly, not install properly, or not work at all. Don't do that. If you've done it multiple times, that could be the reason you're having problems. Instead, when you attempt a patch, simply keep an unpatched copy of the EXE on your desktop somewhere. Then, if the edited EXE doesn't work, you can simply delete it and replace it with the unpatched one, no harm, no foul.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:14 AM
Since you use the UC, un- and reinstalling is completely unnecessary; if there is a problem that cannot be sorted out the normal way, you can repair the game in Origin.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:45 AM
I am wondering what all the reinstalling is for. The GBT patch should not affect your installation files, and you kept a copy of the game exe?

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I am wondering what all the reinstalling is for. The GBT patch should not affect your installation files, and you kept a copy of the game exe?

Yes, I kept a copy, but previously I had an issue where I would try to open the game and it would only open the origin launcher...so I reinstalled it, and then I reinstalled it another time but I forget why.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 5:50 PM
Run the Graphics Rules Maker, and click on its "Device Info" tab. Make sure the video card you're using for the game (If you're on a laptop, some have both integrated video and a dedicated card, and you'll want to use the dedicated one for any gaming) is showing in the drop-down at the top of the list on that tab. Then, one of the lines on that tab will be labeled "Texture Memory." In my case, my video card has 2GB of memory, and the texture memory is 1697MB of that. Your texture memory will never be as large as your card's total memory. Note down your card's texture memory and then, on the "Settings" tab of the Graphics Rules Maker, on the drop-down labeled "Force Texture Memory," set it to whatever your graphics card's texture memory (NOT total memory) is.

This may solve your out-of-video-memory problem, but it might not. It is a non-fiddly thing to try, however. As I said, the game is old and doesn't really know how to deal with newer graphics cards, so you kind of have to stab around sometimes until things work as they should.

That depends on how you play. TS2 is an old game. As such, it cannot by itself use more than 2GB of system memory, no matter how much system RAM your machine has. If it attempts to do so, it will crash. The 4GB patch allows the game to use up to 4GB of system memory rather than 2. Whether or not you need more than 2GB depends on your game and how you play it. Do you use a lot of CC, where said CC has high-res textures and/or high-poly meshes? Common things that are high-res and/or high-poly are higher-res terrain defaults (like CuriousB's or the even higher-res versions of them and Maxis's terrains that I made), custom skies/horizons, water mods, newer custom hairs, and higher-res neighborhood deco (Like Criquette's stuff, for instance). Generally, if it looks good, then it's eating more resources than stuff that doesn't look so good. Also, do you play large, heavily decorated neighborhoods at all high graphics settings?

If your answers to those questions are "yes," then you are very likely to run up against the 2GB limit, and it would be in your best interests to get the 4GB patch working. If your answers are no and/or you're willing to do without those resource-eating things, then you might be OK. I'd say that if you get the texture memory issue settled and you stop getting video-memory errors/crashes but you end up crashing a lot while playing, you probably need to either scale back your neighborhoods/CC/graphics settings OR get the 4GB patch working. If you get the texture memory thing fixed and you don't experience crashing during normal play, then you're probably OK without the patch.

EDIT: Also, do not reinstall your game! Doing so can cause lingering things in your computer's registry that can cause the game to not work properly, not install properly, or not work at all. Don't do that. If you've done it multiple times, that could be the reason you're having problems. Instead, when you attempt a patch, simply keep an unpatched copy of the EXE on your desktop somewhere. Then, if the edited EXE doesn't work, you can simply delete it and replace it with the unpatched one, no harm, no foul.

Thank you, this seemed to help the issue a bit, but I did just experience another crash. Upon trying to install the 4GB patch, I am getting an error that says coreactivation.dll is missing. I'm not sure what to do about that, but I posted about it in the jessachannel's thread about memory allocation. I'm not sure what the issue is. I would like to try again, but I'm nervous to mess up my game again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 5:57 PM

Sorry to double post. I am a bit confused by the 4GB patch. Do I need to do the CFF explorer thing BEFORE I attempt to install the 4gb patch? Because I tried that (the tutorial where you use cff explorer and tell it to address > 2gB), and my game would not start. Also, trying to install the 4GB patch without using the CFF explorer gave me that coreactivation.dlll error message. I'm a bit confused on how to go about this.
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 6:35 PM
Sorry to double post. I am a bit confused by the 4GB patch. Do I need to do the CFF explorer thing BEFORE I attempt to install the 4gb patch? Because I tried that (the tutorial where you use cff explorer and tell it to address > 2gB), and my game would not start. Also, trying to install the 4GB patch without using the CFF explorer gave me that coreactivation.dlll error message. I'm a bit confused on how to go about this.

First of all, if you make a backup of the EXE you'll be fiddling with, there's no way your can hurt your game or your computer, so don't worry about that at all.

You're running the UC, correct? I would advise you to install the ready-to-go patch that's linked to this post. It makes it so that the UC will no longer start Origin and it has the 4GB patch included in it, so that you don't have to fiddle around with the CFF Explorer bit (or anything else) yourself. All you'll need to do is some dragging/dropping instead. But first: Copy/paste a backup of your existing, unedited EXE to your desktop. The correct EXE for the UC is located in Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/TheSims2UltimateCollection/FunwithPets/SP9/TS Bin. Then delete that original EXE from the TS Bin. Then drag the edited EXE you downloaded to the TS Bin. (I wouldn't copy/paste that because sometimes that will mess things like this up. In this case it's better to drag and drop.) Then, see if your game will start.

If the game runs, go into Documents/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/Logs and look for a text file called *name of your computer*-config-log and open it. Toward the top of that log, in the "Machine Info" section, you should see lines labeled "Memory" and "Free Memory." Both of those numbers ought to read 4096MB. This means the 4GB patch is working properly, and you're good to go. If the game runs, but the numbers in the log are less than 4GB, then let us know what number shows there. In that case, you will likely need to turn off compatibility settings because having those turned on will negate the patch.

If the game does not run, try dragging/dropping the edited EXE from the TS Bin to Program files(X86)/Origin games/TheSims2UltimateCollection/FunwithPets/SP9/CS Bin instead, and then see if it'll run that way. If it does, check the log to see how much free memory the game is showing, as above. If it doesn't, let us know what errors you get.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 12:49 AM
First of all, if you make a backup of the EXE you'll be fiddling with, there's no way your can hurt your game or your computer, so don't worry about that at all.

You're running the UC, correct? I would advise you to install the ready-to-go patch that's linked to this post. It makes it so that the UC will no longer start Origin and it has the 4GB patch included in it, so that you don't have to fiddle around with the CFF Explorer bit (or anything else) yourself. All you'll need to do is some dragging/dropping instead. But first: Copy/paste a backup of your existing, unedited EXE to your desktop. The correct EXE for the UC is located in Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/TheSims2UltimateCollection/FunwithPets/SP9/TS Bin. Then delete that original EXE from the TS Bin. Then drag the edited EXE you downloaded to the TS Bin. (I wouldn't copy/paste that because sometimes that will mess things like this up. In this case it's better to drag and drop.) Then, see if your game will start.

If the game runs, go into Documents/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/Logs and look for a text file called *name of your computer*-config-log and open it. Toward the top of that log, in the "Machine Info" section, you should see lines labeled "Memory" and "Free Memory." Both of those numbers ought to read 4096MB. This means the 4GB patch is working properly, and you're good to go. If the game runs, but the numbers in the log are less than 4GB, then let us know what number shows there. In that case, you will likely need to turn off compatibility settings because having those turned on will negate the patch.

If the game does not run, try dragging/dropping the edited EXE from the TS Bin to Program files(X86)/Origin games/TheSims2UltimateCollection/FunwithPets/SP9/CS Bin instead, and then see if it'll run that way. If it does, check the log to see how much free memory the game is showing, as above. If it doesn't, let us know what errors you get.

My game will run, but it is a tiny windowed mode. How can I turn that off? The number that appears there is 1024. I will turn off compatability settings and see if it works.
Undead Molten Llama
#19 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:09 AM
My game will run, but it is a tiny windowed mode. How can I turn that off? The number that appears there is 1024. I will turn off compatability settings and see if it works.

You should turn off any compatibility settings anyway because they will negate the 4GB patch. You may need to reinstall the patch after turning them off so that the patch will actually work.

And yeah, the resolution issue pops up nowadays whenever you fiddle with the game, UC or not, again because it doesn't understand newer graphics cards and gets confused by things so it reverts to default settings, which is generally small resolutions and/or low graphics settings. There are various solutions floating around the internet if you Google around. This is the one that has worked unfailingly for me: https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/

That being said, I understand that this issue can be extra-fiddly with Win10. (I use Win7, myself.) But the process I linked to manually fiddles with the game's resolution settings in its configuration settings, not relying on any "automating" programs to do it, so I'd think it'd work for any OS or version of the game. I could be wrong about that, though.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 9:23 AM
It is not hard on Windows 10 with the UC, normally there are a couple of steps to take.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. To change the resolution, you need to change the graphic rules. I don't know which graphic card you have (I may have missed it) - but either find a card on Leefish or follow the above steps.
2. Apply the 4GB patch.

The game should work now. If the game still crashes, then

1. Make sure you disable programs from the startup that is not needed
2. Do the windows bug fix thing in the sticky thread and if you need to, the AMD fix thing too.

Look at the article in my signature for more info.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:46 PM
You should turn off any compatibility settings anyway because they will negate the 4GB patch. You may need to reinstall the patch after turning them off so that the patch will actually work.

And yeah, the resolution issue pops up nowadays whenever you fiddle with the game, UC or not, again because it doesn't understand newer graphics cards and gets confused by things so it reverts to default settings, which is generally small resolutions and/or low graphics settings. There are various solutions floating around the internet if you Google around. This is the one that has worked unfailingly for me: https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/

That being said, I understand that this issue can be extra-fiddly with Win10. (I use Win7, myself.) But the process I linked to manually fiddles with the game's resolution settings in its configuration settings, not relying on any "automating" programs to do it, so I'd think it'd work for any OS or version of the game. I could be wrong about that, though.

I was able to get it out of windowed mode by just reapplying graphics rules maker and adding the -w to the end of the "properties" setting again. And it WORKS NOW! It hasn't crashed! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this - I really appreciate it. Sims can be so confusing and mysterious, I swear... there's always some issue if you mess with anything! Thanks again to everyone to responded to this thread, hopefully this can also help some others out there! :lovestruc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:13 PM
For anyone struggling with setting up Sims2 UC on a brand new computer, I just made a guide on it over on my tumblr. Hopefully this helps people who are facing the same issues as I was:

http://vintagelovv11.tumblr.com/pos...t-up-guide-2018
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:23 PM
I was able to get it out of windowed mode by just reapplying graphics rules maker and adding the -w to the end of the "properties" setting again. And it WORKS NOW! It hasn't crashed! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this - I really appreciate it. Sims can be so confusing and mysterious, I swear... there's always some issue if you mess with anything! Thanks again to everyone to responded to this thread, hopefully this can also help some others out there! :lovestruc

YAY! I'm glad you got it working! Happy Simming! (And I'm happy to help, no problem at all. )

Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 10:00 PM
Enjoy playing I am very glad to hear you solved it.
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st May 2022 at 4:16 AM
Hello. Sorry to bother you. The thing is, I had the same problem. The graphic rules program fixed everything. Played for 1 hour yesterday. But I'm still worried that the game might crash after a few hours of playing with this error, or should I not worry anymore?
Page 1 of 2