Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 6:55 AM Last edited by Charmful : 21st Apr 2017 at 2:13 AM. Reason: Solved; my unzip error

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Re-importing Custom hood on new HD and its not showing up [Solved]
Hello! I recently got a new hard drive and am trying to import my neighborhood files. These are the steps I did

1. Installed Game and all Eps/Sps as I had before
2. Ran the game
3. Unzipped my back-up files
4. Replaced the Neighborhoods folder with by backed up Neighborhoods folder in My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2
5. Restarted game, and my neighborhood was not recognized.

I have done this a few times in the past, with this same custom neighborhood on at least three different computers (the latest was 2013) but they all have recognized my custom hood before when I go to restore the files. It might just be that it's late and I've ran out of ideas but anyone have advise on what to try next? My custom hood is numbered N010. I will sleep on it but appreciate any information I might be overlooking.

Thank you!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 10:35 AM
Did you try deleting the neighbourhoodManager.package file?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 2:26 PM
Just to check, you did delete the newly generated Neighbourhood folder before copying yours back in?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 2:34 PM Last edited by Charmful : 20th Apr 2017 at 3:21 PM.
I hadn't! After seeing your reply I did delete it, and restarted the game but the custom neighborhood still doesn't show. Should I just delete my whole sims 2 folder and try re-unzipping my back up?

**EDIT**

In reply to Nisha (sorry didn't see your reply the first time)

I copied my neighborhood folder over from back up and it merged the two I think, though I checked the box to replace all files.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:05 PM
I always proceed the same way. I use my whole EA Games folder, every time. Easier for me than pick and choose which folders I keep, or delete or copy or aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!.
Of course, if you want everything you had except CC and hacks...you would do the same, but empty your Downloads folder.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:11 PM
So should I:

A. Delete the Sims 2 folder and re-start game so it generates the sims 2 folder again, and THEN un-zip and replace the whole sims 2 folder with back up

or

B. Delete Sims 2 folder, un-zip and replace it with the back up and THEN restart the game?

Which way would more likely recognize my neighborhood?

Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:20 PM
When I do switch from computer to computer, I only start the game once I am all done.
In your case, I would delete the sims 2 folder, and replace with mine(yours! lol). Then start the game and see if all worked.

Link Ninja
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:22 PM
Ok that's what I will try next when I get home from work (in like 7 hours, ugh)

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:28 PM
Don't merge - doing that can result in you getting a mix of files from both old and new 'hoods, which isn't useful. If you want to copy everything over - including downloads, installed lots etc. - I would indeed just delete the whole The Sims 2 folder and then copy the backup into its place.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:28 PM
Keep us posted!
(Why I even say that..of course you will.)
Yes @Nysha this is what I suggested. I think Charmful knows. But we are never too prudent!

Link Ninja
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 3:45 PM
I think I resorted to merging because I was doing this late at night and I had originally unzipped my backup to replace the sims 2 folder entirely but then it didn't show up and I didn't realize it was because I renamed by main folder sims 2 when the real sims 2 folder was IN the one I renamed so it was off a level.

So it was trying to do

My Documents>The Sims 2 (renamed zip file)>The Sims 2(actual sims 2 back up file)

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:04 PM
You're right, Rosebine - sorry, I skimmed and missed the fact that you'd already said that.

Is it working now, Charmful?

Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You're right, Rosebine - sorry, I skimmed and missed the fact that you'd already said that.

Is it working now, Charmful?

Don't be sorry, you were still the first asking about it, 2 posts above my first post. lol
Don't we Love this game. :lovestruc

Link Ninja
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:26 PM
Nysha, I will delete and replace the entire sims 2 folder with my back up tonight instead of pasting in files and then report back. I'm at work now and while I wish I could play sims at work, I'm afraid I would get no work done at all if that were the reality. Indeed Rosbine, we do all love this game!

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
In reply to Nisha (sorry didn't see your reply the first time)

I copied my neighborhood folder over from back up and it merged the two I think, though I checked the box to replace all files.

That will bork the hood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 2:13 AM
I deleted the sims 2 folder when I got home from work and the re-unzipped by sims 2 back up file and replaced it entirely. My custom hood now shows. Thanks everyone for guidance and patience. The next time I ever have to transfire these files again I will reference this post (and not do it late at night)

Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:46 AM
Good stuff! I am happy.