Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 11:32 AM Last edited by jain : 30th Apr 2017 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Resolved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Renaming Neighborhood Objects - Resolved
I have several neighborhood objects with weird names showing in the catalog like 'white van' for a fence. I'd like to change the names to something meaningful. I've tried changing the names in SimsPE but obviously don't know what I'm doing since it hasn't worked. What exactly do I need to change? Thanks!
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 12:19 PM
Do you want to post a link to an example?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:00 PM Last edited by eliset : 28th Apr 2017 at 7:38 PM.
Logging in here because we were working on this together and Jain has to work the rest of the weekend. So she asked me to go ahead with it so I hope that's ok.

The files are kind of complicated. I have some old N99 Neighborhood Object fence files that have been mentioned in a couple of different places. A WCIF on MTS last Feb http://modthesims.info/t/572175 led nowhere but someone posted a list of files from N99 that includes the fences: CTNNbhdFences.zip. That list of files is the only actual link I can find to the originals. I already had all those fences plus two more so I didn't actually use those files but again, it's the only link I have.

In SimPE when I look under Neighborhood Object XML for one of the fences that shows up as white van, the modelname is a bunch of stuff and then -neighborhood_white_van. The name (dtString) is CTN_NbhdFence1

I have two additional CTN Fences, Fence 5 and Fence 6, that are not included in that original list. These fences are named CTN fence and CTN Old fence in the catalog. In SimPE, they say pretty much the same thing as the fences that show up as white van. The modelname is stuffxxx -neighborhood_minivan. The name (dtString) is CTN_NbhdFence6.

There doesn’t appear to be anything different here. When I change 'white van' in the modelname it doesn't change the name in the catalog so I know I'm doing something wrong.

And right now as I'm typing this, I just might see the problem. When I open the Text Lists the file that shows up as White Van says White Van under PJSE. Is that it? One of the fences that shows up in the catalog properly says Old Fence.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 8:37 PM
Still not really sure what you're talking about without a file to have a look at. Can you attach a file here? This isn't a case of the default language not being set in the text lists is it?

CTNutmegger still comes here though I don't think s/he posts stuff for any of the games here: http://www.modthesims.info/index.php?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eliset
Logging in here because we were working on this together and Jain has to work the rest of the weekend. So she asked me to go ahead with it so I hope that's ok.

The files are kind of complicated. I have some old N99 Neighborhood Object fence files that have been mentioned in a couple of different places. A WCIF on MTS last Feb http://modthesims.info/t/572175 led nowhere but someone posted a list of files from N99 that includes the fences: CTNNbhdFences.zip. That list of files is the only actual link I can find to the originals. I already had all those fences plus two more so I didn't actually use those files but again, it's the only link I have.

In SimPE when I look under Neighborhood Object XML for one of the fences that shows up as white van, the modelname is a bunch of stuff and then -neighborhood_white_van. The name (dtString) is CTN_NbhdFence1

I have two additional CTN Fences, Fence 5 and Fence 6, that are not included in that original list. These fences are named CTN fence and CTN Old fence in the catalog. In SimPE, they say pretty much the same thing as the fences that show up as white van. The modelname is stuffxxx -neighborhood_minivan. The name (dtString) is CTN_NbhdFence6.

There doesn’t appear to be anything different here. When I change 'white van' in the modelname it doesn't change the name in the catalog so I know I'm doing something wrong.

And right now as I'm typing this, I just might see the problem. When I open the Text Lists the file that shows up as White Van says White Van under PJSE. Is that it? One of the fences that shows up in the catalog properly says Old Fence.

Bolding added by me - yes, that's what the problem is. You need to edit the Text Lists to change the catalog name. Editing the XML doesn't do it, as you've already learned.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Bolding added by me - yes, that's what the problem is. You need to edit the Text Lists to change the catalog name. Editing the XML doesn't do it, as you've already learned.
Thank you from both of us!! That definitely works. Now changing a bunch of things including a house called Dumpster, 12 different buildings all called Building, 4 things with no title at all, and more. Thanks again!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:59 AM
Thank You!