Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 9:50 AM
Default Creating a 100% medieval town
okay so first im gonna come straight out and say im new and if i am doing something wrong please tell me. But also please dont over react. Im going to try and create a medieval town (this has nothing to do with the sims medieval). But i have run into a few problems. The sims need police, roads and stuff like that. I think when pets comes out if someone finds a way to make pets availible for more towns then just the new one that comes with the ep, that i will be ble to use the horses as everyday transportation replacing cars. So i have come to yall because everyone on this site is super creative and i figured yall could help me with this issue. Please pm if this thread needs to be moved or if this has been solved elswhere.

And yes i am from texas
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 9:51 AM
And yes i will be creating a new world.....unless i dont have to...but thats unlikely
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:25 AM
I'm almost positive that someone made a mod to force sims to walk everywhere, but I don't have a link to it, sorry.
#4 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:36 AM
What about this mod? Buzzler's Carpool Disabler
Forum Resident
#5 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 2:05 PM Last edited by noxnoxnox : 18th Jul 2011 at 2:51 PM.
Take a look at this amazing world, Castle Keep: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/190987.page
You can use the rabbit hole rug to replace the modern-looking police station, hospital... with your customized hut like she did. They once had a Medieval contest here in MTS so there are a lot of castles, objects, even tavern with Medieval theme in our Downloads section for you to choose.
another one, Hogwart's Wizarding World building after the Harry Porter story:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/202415.page
Theorist
#6 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 3:11 PM
This is a much needed thread, and these questions need to be asked.
Your biggest hurdles will be sims travelling by taxi, and mobile phone use.
Carpools and paperboys can be disabled just fine.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 7:00 PM
There are a few things you can do...for your own sims, you can disguise the taxi stands by putting them in other buildings. This won't work for townies though as they do not travel via the taxi.

I am making a medieval world as well (don't hold your breath, it takes me a long time to build a world because I am busy and I like detailed worlds) but since I will mostly likely do it after Pets is out, I am hoping to avoid putting roads in the world since I believe horses will be able to use paths or travel across the world without roads. Fires will not be put out by firetrucks but then that is realistic...so will either use a no-fire mod or just let the houses burn if they burn. Life was rough back then.

The things that bug me are the silly cell phones, although I think you might be able to turn them off. Also, it takes time to get to work on a horse more than likely and it could be that kids cannot use them to go to school....so use the homeschooling part of the career mod and a disguised computer instead I hope. Boarding school would work for the noble kids. Twallan's relativity mod might be good to slow time so horse riders are not late for work. Also, if you build a small community, then the distance wouldn't be that far.

Lots of ideas and a very good thread! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 10:29 PM
Yeah im waiting for pets too but i thought i should plan ahead. (so excited for pets!). We could just get rid of the police right? If there arnt any roads then i assume that gets rid of the taxi issue. Maybe a small problem would be how our sims would have fun but thats just a small issue at the moment. Anymore issues that must be solved?
Theorist
#9 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
There are a few things you can do...for your own sims, you can disguise the taxi stands by putting them in other buildings.

Rian, can you elaborate on that? What taxi stands? And does this completely stop taxi's?

I noticed before that by placing simslices (non-cloned) Police cars, it stopped police cars from appearing. It did however bring about an awesomemod flagrant error.
When I tried this technique using simslice's taxi's, the trick did not work though.

As far as NPC's using Sloppy Jalopy's, I believe this may be stopped by using NrAas master controller to exterminate all townies/NPC's upon boot-up.
Any medieval hood would surely be dependant on there being no townies/NPC's at all, because they would appear in modern clothes.
Not a good look.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:06 PM
Hmmm... Does anyone know where i can find an empty world. Im not looking forward to creating a world so yeah.
So what do we neeeed to have in a town. The harry potter world seems really nice. Sorry if this is a dumb question but the " no townies/npc's" confuses me.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Rian, can you elaborate on that? What taxi stands? And does this completely stop taxi's?

I noticed before that by placing simslices (non-cloned) Police cars, it stopped police cars from appearing. It did however bring about an awesomemod flagrant error.
When I tried this technique using simslice's taxi's, the trick did not work though.

As far as NPC's using Sloppy Jalopy's, I believe this may be stopped by using NrAas master controller to exterminate all townies/NPC's upon boot-up.
Any medieval hood would surely be dependant on there being no townies/NPC's at all, because they would appear in modern clothes.
Not a good look.

But wouldn't residences and their off-springs thereafter also be in modern clothes? Or is there a mod that can change everyone's clothes?
Theorist
#12 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dasila
Sorry if this is a dumb question but the " no townies/npc's" confuses me.

For example, those sims that walk around in your town, but they are not residents, and they will wear modern clothing, ruining the medieval look.
Eliminating them means that only your correctly-dressed sims will be visible. However, I don't think many people have tested this too see exactly how well this works out in reality.

Quote: Originally posted by Munchies
But wouldn't residences and their off-springs thereafter also be in modern clothes? Or is there a mod that can change everyone's clothes?
You can indeed change everyones clothes, by using awesomemods 'editsim' on everyone. As for new offspring wearing modern clothes, yes this will happen. Unless of course you have story progression off, in which case there will be no new sims, and you can have everyone dressed as you please, and they will not deviate from that. That part is certainly 'do-able'.

#BlairWitchPetition
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:19 PM
Well you can play the family and put them in the clothing of your choice. But i wouldnt want people in my normal World to be dressed in medieval clothing.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:20 PM
Hmmm... Does anyone know where i can find an empty world. Im not looking forward to creating a world so yeah.
So what do we neeeed to have in a town. The harry potter world seems really nice. Sorry if this is a dumb question but the " no townies/npc's" confuses me.

A couple of days ago I made a little town with no roads, not even sidewalks. I was just testing it out so there was nothing in it except lots with houses. I moved a sim into one house and waited and waited, but no one moved in to the neighborhood. My Sim was so lonely... Thank goodness she was a green thumb Sim so she could talk to her plants. So I, too, would like to know what the basic requirement to have neighbors would be.
Theorist
#15 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:22 PM
Well you can play the family and put them in the clothing of your choice. But i wouldnt want people in my normal World to be dressed in medieval clothing.

One thing that is unavoidable is that you would have to have a certain set of hacks/CC for medieval, and a different set of hacks/CC for modern play.
I've already thought of that
This means you can have medieval careers without them affecting your modern town.
Swapping different CC folders for different time periods would be worth it though in my opinion.
As long as you remember. :p

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#16 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:23 PM
For example, those sims that walk around in your town, but they are not residents, and they will wear modern clothing, ruining the medieval look.
Eliminating them means that only your correctly-dressed sims will be visible. However, I don't think many people have tested this too see exactly how well this works out in reality.

You can indeed change everyones clothes, by using awesomemods 'editsim' on everyone. As for new offspring wearing modern clothes, yes this will happen. Unless of course you have story progression off, in which case there will be no new sims, and you can have everyone dressed as you please, and they will not deviate from that. That part is certainly 'do-able'.

Aw, shucks. Here I thought there's a mod where you can change their clothes all at once. I have a town of loin cloth wearers and I used Twallan's story progression mod to set the aging style like that of TS2. Of course then the town doesn't age.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:29 PM
One thing that is unavoidable is that you would have to have a certain set of hacks/CC for medieval, and a different set of hacks/CC for modern play.
This means you can have medieval careers without them affecting your modern town.
Swapping different CC folders for different time periods would be worth it though in my opinion.

Swapping different cc folders?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:30 PM

Hey, that's a great idea! Are there mods that could hide clothing and hair? If you hide all except the medieval ones then wouldn't the townies and neighbors also be wearing just what's not hidden?

BTW - can you have a world without roads or sidewalks and still have Sims move into the neighborhood?
Field Researcher
#19 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:32 PM
Swapping different cc folders?

Like take out your normal stuff cc/mod folder and save it elsewhere, then replace it with another folder with your medieval cc's. If you want to play modern again, switch the folders again. I don't know how you can do that with sims3pack items though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:33 PM

I think i would want story progression off. How do you do that again though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:44 PM
I would prefer to just have one cc folder but right now it seems like im gonna have to have two. Also how will the sims get food. A fridge would look strange
Theorist
#22 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:45 PM Last edited by tizerist : 19th Jul 2011 at 12:01 AM.
Are there mods that could hide clothing and hair?

No, but there are people like HugeLunatic and WhiteRider who could certainly do that.
(They're gonna kill me for this :/)
If you hide all except the medieval ones then wouldn't the townies and neighbors also be wearing just what's not hidden?

And no, they wouldn't.
BTW - can you have a world without roads or sidewalks and still have Sims move into the neighborhood?

Sims moving into the hood would be the very last thing you'd want. Every few days you would end up getting sims that do not look like they belong there. And probably they would have odd, non-medieval names.
Moving in your own sims, and only using these, is the way to go. Otherwise it will be a constant uphill struggle.
But that's easy, right?

how will the sims get food. A fridge would look strange

You would use only medieval stoves and larders instead. Just ignore the modern stoves.
I've already created mods that put modern items at $9999 so that they are not in the way.

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#23 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 12:02 AM
No, but there are people like HugeLunatic and WhiteRider who could certainly do that.
(They're gonna kill me for this :/)

LOL I understand. I won't bug them for it. :P

And no, they wouldn't.

Are you sure? They do use custom hairs and clothes, I've noticed. Isn't that what hiders are for, so Sims in your town wouldn't end up with say hats? NPCs like maids wouldn't be wearing those, of course, but I mean other residences and townies.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 12:04 AM
I would prefer to just have one cc folder but right now it seems like im gonna have to have two. Also how will the sims get food. A fridge would look strange

There are medieval stoves and fridges. I think there's a set at TSR for free.
Theorist
#25 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 12:05 AM
Are you sure?

^^ Not completely sure, but I tried this a long time ago and I don't think it worked.
As far as I know it just removes it from view in CAS, however this may not be the case. Dunno.

#BlairWitchPetition
Page 1 of 5