Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2020 at 10:27 AM
Default Sims 3 Store questions
OK, bear in mind I haven't played The Sims 3 or touched the store for 10 years. So I have some questions and maybe you can give some suggestions.

Does registering your EPs still net any free Sim Points? I can see from my store account I got some fromthe base game and World Adventure, but none from Ambitions. Though I'll be getting any EPs I missed via Steam when there's a deep discounted sale, money saved will be spent in the store .

I've noticed whilst browsing the store that there are sets which feature special assets that add addition gameplay. Like a chicken coop, a roller coaster, or a cash register so you set up a store and actually sell stuff. This didn't exist 10 years ago, so I'm like *Oh, wow!!" (though my wallet is like "Oh, nooo!!"). And now there is tons of stuff to choose from, so what sets would people recommend to enhance base game play?
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 20th May 2020 at 10:58 AM
About the free stuff from registering: it used to be with origin that you get sim points with WA and expansion packs came with some store sets. That's not been the case for quite a while now, as far as I'm aware you don't get any freebies with buying backs anymore

With Steam, I believe they honour the free sim points that come with base game and WA but I'm not sure about the other store sets that came with the expansion on origin.
You also can't mix packs with steam and origin, you'll either need to buy all the packs with origin or all with steam.
It's probably a better idea to get them with steam when they do a big sale, you get the free sim points and also stay on patch 1.67 rather than the dreaded 1.69
I'm actually on origin, but am thinking about rebuying the game on steam when it's on sale.

As for store set suggestions, it does depend on what you like to do in the game. In my opinion, most of the premium items (stuff with new gameplay rather than just existing objects or CAS items) are like novelty things. They're kind of cool, and often fit within the theme of an expansion, but none have very in-depth gameplay or work as well as something that might be in a pack. For example, for the savvy seller thing that let's you sell objects and run a business, you have to bear in mind that with the open world, sims don't really flock to your store to buy things and there isn't any extra gameplay, like store perks or something you'd get in a business pack. Mods might be able to help with some things though
And the chicken coop, it adds a bit of something to your game if you like to play farm style, or self sufficient sims etc but it's quite basic really. You feed the chickens, get eggs or wait till they hatch so you can play with the chicks, and a few other silly interactions, but it is just an object with the same few interactions for the most part, and not really adding a lot of stuff to do, or a big challenge to look after them.
Mods might be able to help with some things though.

You could have a look at the weekly sale (which hasn't changed for like 2 years) and see if there's something you like for a discounted price. You could also look up reviews to see if the items are something you want.

I think it's a case of, they're pretty cool items if you have the sim points to spare, and they can just add a fun little thing to the game, but they're nothing game changing, and buying the whole sets are quite expensive for what you actually get. If you like certain aspects of the game, maybe focus on the store items that fit with that, so if you like the cooking skill, maybe get the bakers oven, or the tepenyaki grill thing.

Sorry for the long explanation but I hope it helps a bit :P
One recommendation I have is the multitab, which let's you listen to like audiobooks to increase skills while working on other things, you can buy and read books from it, and teens can do their homework on it without getting super stressed
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th May 2020 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
With Steam, I believe they honour the free sim points that come with base game and WA but I'm not sure about the other store sets that came with the expansion on origin.
You also can't mix packs with steam and origin, you'll either need to buy all the packs with origin or all with steam.

I read some where you can register the CD-keys from the Steam versions with either Origin or the Sims Store, and then play them through Origin. Only downside is having to buy the base game again.

Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
It's probably a better idea to get them with steam when they do a big sale, you get the free sim points and also stay on patch 1.67 rather than the dreaded 1.69
I'm actually on origin, but am thinking about rebuying the game on steam when it's on sale.

What is it about this 1.69 patch I keep hearing about? There seems to be a lot of mixed messages about it.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#4 Old 20th May 2020 at 12:53 PM
Ah I'm not sure how it works with mixing digital packs with disks. But from what I can remember I think the steam packs come with origin keys which you can use with origin but you will be on the 1.69 patch then.

The patch doesn't actually change anything in the game files, I'm pretty sure the only thing it really does is tie the game to origin and the launcher, so to play it you have to run it via the launcher, with origin. Some people hate the launcher or have a lot of trouble with it, so prefer the 1.67 patch. It also messed with some tools for making cc, as they don't seem to read the items from packs properly. That's not a problem if you're not into making cc and stuff though.

I'm not sure if there are other problems people have had with the patch, I think it's mainly just to escape origin that 1.67 is preferred.
Origin also never has sims 3 on sale anymore :P
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2020 at 2:49 PM
I think it's registering your first expansion pack (or possible either stuff pack). Registering anything (or just expansion packs; not sure) else after it doesn't give more Simpoints, as far as from my experience.

Though, what I'm wondering, as how do I go about registering an expansion pack from another platform (origin)? Because I can't seem to do it, though I can only assume that's because that the expansion that is my origin account is linked to EA account unlike the BG and other expansion packs (which are from STEAM) where they registered by another EA/Sims3.com account.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2020 at 3:20 PM
From what I've read you can buy on Steam and register them with Origin or Sims 3 Store so long as it's linked to your Origin account (which is what I did and Origin correctly displayed the EPs and SP I previously registered on the Store). You cannot do it the other way round.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 20th May 2020 at 4:12 PM
I definitely recommend the items for toddlers and babies, like the changing station.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st May 2020 at 2:13 AM
There are sets with sport items like a basketball court, wall climbing, ballet that I find I use all the time. One of my pet peeves is that so many gyms seem to be made by people who have never set foot in one so anything that makes them more realistic is real value to me. https://store.thesims3.com/setsProd...=OFB-SIM3:55996
https://store.thesims3.com/setsProd...&section=UpSell
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st May 2020 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darth Joules
Like a chicken coop, a roller coaster, or a cash register so you set up a store and actually sell stuff. This didn't exist 10 years ago, so I'm like *Oh, wow!!" (though my wallet is like "Oh, nooo!!"). And now there is tons of stuff to choose from, so what sets would people recommend to enhance base game play?

I use the roller coaster more than I thought I would. Seasons add festivals (and the ability to decorate lots so they change with the seasons). The roller coaster (plus the carousel from the World of Wonder, various arcade games, and the season specific activities) goes well with setting up your own small theme park. Word of caution, to get a decent roller coaster you need the largest lot you have.

I agree on the basket ball hoop and dance bar (and the dance floor that comes in the same set) for a slightly different reason than pure realism: all three of those can be used by kids. I'm always looking for things for my kids to do. I have the toddler items (the changing station, play pens, play mats, toddler swing, etc.) but I had to put in a mod to make them less cheaty. Especially the play mats.

But the one item I would recommend most is the store tablet. There's an issue where if you change household the item might disappear from their inventory (Nrass has a mod for it). Otherwise it does a lot for skill building (including letting children and older learn skills while they are in school/work). Plus it makes doing homework fun.