Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2013 at 2:48 AM
Default TS4 Sims: A Step Forward or Back?
Though we only have half of three faces to work with, how do you guys feel about the design of TS4 Sims? Here's a neat comparison between the games. I personally like that they are more stylized like they were in TS2, for various reasons:

- Fewer uncanny valley Sims. There are residents of Sunset Valley who haunt my nightmares.

- Better variation. I have a feeling that, much like TS2, these stylized Sims will have a greater variety of configurations that don't look god awful. TS3 Sims boiled down to about 5-6 "good" looks for me.

- Lower system impact is a possibility. I'm all for having a game that runs better and has more vibrant Sims!

- The possibility of easier CC. I know TS3 was a turn-off for all but the most dedicated creators. With simpler Sims, I think there'll be an easier learning curve to make hairs, clothing, and (if this style is the same throughout the game) objects.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 10th May 2013 at 3:08 AM
If that photo is a basis for judging the appearance of sims through each generation of games, I'll think we'll be waiting for TS7 for realistically appearing, attractive sims. I didn't notice how awful the eyebrows were in the TS4 "leak" before that montage.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2013 at 3:19 AM
The Sims are more expressive, but their hair is a step backwards, even behind TS2 hair!
Scholar
#4 Old 10th May 2013 at 3:29 AM
For me, can't really say if it will be a step back or forward. I'll wait until more screen shots are shown. For all we know, these are just concept renders & may not reflect what the game will look like...well at least I hope not. Yay if the expressions stay, boo if the minimalistic styles stay. It's as though detailing of Sims and objects are decreasing with each iteration of the franchise.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 10th May 2013 at 5:14 AM
The Sims 4 looks alot like The Sims 2 sim render wise. I like that. Look at the characters in TS2 and compare to the TS3 characters. TS2 wins by a long shot. Not by graphics, but by creativity and variables. In TS2 you always see different people. But looking at TS3 people and NPCs, their facial structures are almost always the same.
Instructor
#6 Old 10th May 2013 at 5:30 AM
The facial expression is better.
But with easier, better tools accompanied with the base game, all creators in the sims community can make Ryan Gosling out of Keanu .
(By the way I love Keanu better than Gosling. It's just a metaphor, lol. )

PS.
Even though TS1's facial expression 3D was far outdated I still remember the quirkiness(is this a word?) of my sims 1.
The way they throw the temper tantrum. The way they got into stupid/funny fight.

I think it's not the "techhnique" that makes sims come alive, it's the "spirit" that EA creators put into their creations.

TS3 is a total failure on that "spirit" imho.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th May 2013 at 3:44 PM
For me the three faces artwork strikes me as implying that Sims in TS4 might just be way too cartoonish for my tastes.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th May 2013 at 4:00 PM
Looking at those pictures, i take a previous statement of mine back. That Sims 4 Sim does NOT look like a cross between Sims 2 and 3, which is what at least some of us had been hoping for. And I echo what another poster wrote ... it DOES look like a Pixar cartoon. Younger players may like it. But this is, indeed, only a glimpse.

And that hair ... I thought the Sims 2 hair was bad? I stand corrected.

Makes me wonder if ANYONE at EA is paying attention to its customers.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th May 2013 at 4:13 PM
For me personally, it is neither a step forward or backward, it is coming to a grinding halt.

After all these years of anticipating, being disappointed,frustration, patch to fix a patch to fix a patch!, and massive requirements on my pc, i'm closing my wallet.

Besides i heard that the new expansion pack for ts3, requires 9.3 gb of space, so i doubt that there are a lot of ppl who will be able to play it, never mind installing yet another ea sims game like the sims 4.
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th May 2013 at 4:39 PM
I'd be totally fine with them going to a "stylized" look for Sims. Nothing too realistic, but at the same time nothing far too cartoony. A lot of the times in TS3, the exaggerated expressions(hell, most facial expressions in general) and gestures don't seem to look right on the simi-realistic looking(if pudding faced) sims.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th May 2013 at 8:54 PM
I think I like the overall look of the TS4 face but the textures are abysmal - the eyebrows look awful and the hair lacks detail. But, OTOH, it's early days yet. I dislike the TS3 face but I dislike TS3 generally but notice the TS2 and 4 faces are much more expressive (even the TS1 face is more expressive - it's the eyebrows). Hopefully, that's a good sign looking forward.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#12 Old 11th May 2013 at 8:18 AM
I think it'll be fine as long as facial animations are even more sophisticated.

I mean, who here isn't going to have custom hi-rez skins in like a week after release anyway? :p

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th May 2013 at 9:06 AM
In TS2 and TS3 pre-production, the hairs/eyebrows didn't get all nice and un-shiny/washed-out until the release. The beta-testing hairs in TS2 are washed out, greyish, and not as saturated as what made it into the game. Everything is unpolished still until the design teams can get their mojo going with the outfits.

Outfits SHOULD include:

- Tucked, untucked, long, baggy, and slimmed basic t-shirts. So, five styles for each gender.

- Three good tank tops for each gender. Again, baggy, untucked, and tucked would do just fine. Maybe halter, skinny strap, and racer-back for female sims.

- At least ten different pairs of jeans for each gender. JEANS THAT REACH THE FLOOR, TOO.

- Two pairs of cutoffs/flood pants, cargo pants, and long-ass-animation-murdering skirts for females. NO MORE.

- A pleated skirt, a ruffled skirt, two pencil skirts, a school skirt, a knee-length skirt and two mini-skirts.

- Three good wedding dresses, five good suits (you would not believe how much I use suits), two good suit options for ladies, and dressy clothes for each lifestate.

- Ten styles of glasses, five styles of sunglasses for each gender. Kids should have different, fun glasses styles, but also the adult ones as well.

- Something close to the TS2 Nightlife "slob" outfits (with or without all of the stains) as possible pyjamas.

- Steel-toed workboots, some versatile closed-toe heels (that you can possibly change the height on), five pairs of trainers/runners, three pairs of urban-styled shoes, just . . . just shoes, PLEASE.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Alchemist
#14 Old 11th May 2013 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
For me, can't really say if it will be a step back or forward. I'll wait until more screen shots are shown. For all we know, these are just concept renders & may not reflect what the game will look like...well at least I hope not. Yay if the expressions stay, boo if the minimalistic styles stay. It's as though detailing of Sims and objects are decreasing with each iteration of the franchise.

Exactly what I said in another thread. I realize people want something to talk about, but I really didn't give any serious thought to those three faces
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th May 2013 at 6:56 PM
I hope forward because I am excited for TS4.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 11th May 2013 at 10:35 PM
Considering it's just a teaser, I like how the style is more similar to The Sims 2. The styling of that game had a lot more personality than The Sims 3, in my opinion. That said, if the final product is as technically advanced as what we've been shown, I will be sad. The eyebrows are really bad, having that horrid "painted on" look, and the hair is incredibly polygonal, almost to the point that it looks like it won't be animated at all.

But that said, it's just a teaser and I'll reserve full judgement for when we have actual, in-game screenshots.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th May 2013 at 3:42 PM
I hope it is TS2 revamped and even better. I hope it has nothing to do with TS3, no offense. I hope the game opens with a space ship bringing Bella home, and I hope they return the sims to us rabbit hole free! No nasty clothes they give us on the run and no stupid SP's so borky no one can really use them. I hope all EP's work in unison, which will be a miracle, but hey..... EA has turned it all back over to Maxis this time......

I do agree we are seeing just a piece of what they are working on. It could wind up being something completely awesome, or lame. We just have to speculate until then, but I, like all other fans am waiting to see. I do think Maxis should make the Bella thing right and clear up the story. They messed it up, so they should fix it. Who kills off the matriarch of their game anyway?? Maxis.....yes but they can fix it. lol

If I see anymore TS3 stuff with the game engine like it is and actually any borky game engine taking up tons of space, I won't care how awesome it is, I won't be buying. So, with that said, I will have to wait and see. It does look like though that we may be able to use TS2 content for TS4. Interesting.... I love TS2, so this has my attention.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th May 2013 at 3:55 PM
I'm pretty sure those screenshots that came with the announcement are just TS3 sims. Am I wrong?
Alchemist
#19 Old 13th May 2013 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00
I'm pretty sure those screenshots that came with the announcement are just TS3 sims. Am I wrong?

That's what I thought, but it's been so long since I've actually seen a TS2 sim I don't really know
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 13th May 2013 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00

They don't look like TS3 or TS2 sims to me.

Quote: Originally posted by scoopy_loopy
I mean, who here isn't going to have custom hi-rez skins in like a week after release anyway? :p

Me. I only got TS2 defaults about 6 months ago as I'm not that unhappy with Maxis skin on TS2 sims. Even then it took me a lot of hunting to find ones that fit my criteria. Some of us want and like cartoony.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#21 Old 13th May 2013 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lucia940

If I see anymore TS3 stuff with the game engine like it is and actually any borky game engine taking up tons of space, I won't care how awesome it is, I won't be buying. So, with that said, I will have to wait and see. It does look like though that we may be able to use TS2 content for TS4. Interesting.... I love TS2, so this has my attention.

Where did you get the info from about TS2 content being able to be used for TS4?

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 14th May 2013 at 1:18 AM
There's a theory floating around that the sim in the middle represents TS2 (stretched eyelids, cartoony features, different eyes, boxy features, shocked expression), the one on the right represents TS3 (large eyes, still rather boxy, raised eyebrow expression), and the one on the left represents TS4 (vibrant eyes, smoother features and skin, less boxy, serious/determined expression). There's also the theory floating around that the sim on the right is Bella Goth. And then there's the theory that because of their placement, if you take the first theory into account, TS4 is a sequel to TS2, which is a sequel to TS3.

I dunno, though. They kind of *do* remind me of pixar characters, but I like them. And I'm partial to the middle one. If the TS4/TS2/TS3 theory is true, then I guess I'm just proving my point that I love TS2.

Hm. I think it's a step forward. Besides, we have modders to make us a bunch of pretty things. Look at what we did to TS2, and, to a smaller extent, TS3. As long as EA doesn't bork our ability to mod things, I think we'll be okay.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th May 2013 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
Where did you get the info from about TS2 content being able to be used for TS4?

I think it's just wishful thinking of a TS2 fan.

Considering TS2 will be 10 years old when TS4 comes out, it's very unlikely they would make any integration between the two games. I doubt you can even put TS3 items into (vanilla) TS4, because otherwise who would spend money on the TS4 store?

The closest we might get in re-using items from previous games in TS4 is if the time travel EP has some type of "convert your TS3 sim to a TS4 sim" - feature.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th May 2013 at 6:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VanillaBean14
... if you take the first theory into account, TS4 is a sequel to TS2, which is a sequel to TS3.
The timeline so far is TS3 -> TS1 -> TS2, each separated by 25 years. I doubt we will see a prequel to a prequel (you may as well play Medieval, lol), so that gives us three options: A post-TS2 story, TS1 redone, or TS2 redone. I would personally be most excited by a redone TS1. It would be interesting to see that neighborhood again after almost 15 years.

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 14th May 2013 at 6:18 AM Last edited by VanillaBean14 : 14th May 2013 at 6:28 AM.
Oh. Got my facts way off. Oops. I meant to say TS2 is a sequel to TS1, which is a sequel to TS3. Thanks for the correction.

Hm. It'd be nice to see the TS1 neighborhood again -- especially in better graphics than the original. Well, I guess time will tell.

TS2 Challenge Addict.
Page 1 of 2