Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2013 at 11:44 PM
Default Could/Should the Sims 4 be backward campatible?
I was just wondering if it would be at all possible for a game like sims to be backwards compatible? I'm assuming not because it is totally different coding, but after spending all kind of money in the sims 3 store I was just wondering if there could be anyway that I could still keep that stuff when sims 4 comes out and use it in the new game. I'm sure it won't be long before converts mods are out but nonetheless I think it would be so much easier if there was a way EA could make it so my items were useable in the new game. Or at least make some kind of conversion software we could buy.... It's just an idea I had. I'm quite aware of how much work it would involve and all the problems that would arise and how it is pretty much unrealistic but still... I can dream.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Explanations why this would not be a good idea?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st May 2013 at 12:11 AM
You already answered your own question: The Sims 4 is going to be totally different coding. And even if it wasn't, why would EA want to create a situation in which you don't have to purchase all-new content? That's basically the foundation of their business model.
Instructor
#3 Old 31st May 2013 at 4:20 AM
It isn't so much a bad idea, it just wont happen. You couldn't do it from Sims 2 to Sims 3, so I see no reason why they would do it for Sims 3 to Sims 4.

Perhaps the community modders and such can do conversions later?

Just remember, they want to squeeze every last cent out of you.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Forum Resident
#4 Old 31st May 2013 at 4:45 AM
All of EA`s next games were revealed to be using Frostbite, a new engine that looks wonderful. It wont be backwards compatible due to the sims 3 and 4 using entirely different engines, im afraid.

The Sims 3 uses a custom engine built from the ground up. Same as sims 1 and 2, however, both of those also use entirely different engines.
The only games to use the same game engines were The Sims 1, The Sims Bustin Out and The Urbz, on PS2. Then The Sims 2, The Sims 2 pets and Sims 2 Castaway on PS2. And of course, The Sims Bustin Out, The Sims 2 and The Urbz on GBA all used the same engine too.

The only reason sims cant be transferred is game restrictions with coding. Of course however, due to being entirely new and looking better, it would probably be funner to completely make a new family and town so you can explore the new CAS and such. Right?
Instructor
#5 Old 31st May 2013 at 12:45 PM
Actually, if EA wanted to created a little goodwill among its fans (for the first time ever), they could give players the option to download new TS4 versions of their TS3 content at a discounted price if they already own the TS3 version. That would make things much more palatable for players who heavily invested in the TS3 Store. I doubt that would happen, though.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 31st May 2013 at 1:10 PM
I don't really care about full backward compatibility, but it would be nice if EA included some feature to import sims from TS3.
It likely wouldn't be a perfect clone of your old sim (even if it only used basegame content to begin with, most likely TS4 won''t offer exactly the same hairs and clothes, and not the same traits either), but a close approximation of the sim's bodyshape, facial features, some traits(?), favourite colours/foods/etc, and maybe even family ties would be quite cool. I doubt it will happen though. The new game encoding will likely be too different, and I suspect the challenge in carrying over a sim from one game to another would require too much effort, especially since the end result won't be perfect.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 31st May 2013 at 1:40 PM
Whats with the obsession of keeping our old sims and sets. Is a fresh start not exciting to anyone?? It is to me
Scholar
#8 Old 31st May 2013 at 2:59 PM
I like to start a new family quite often ,but I can understand how other players might want to keep some of their families or even whole legacies maybe. And even if TS4 is a complete new engine, it doesn't mean it could not have some import features for families. Genetics, relationships, traits (if they were comparable) etc.
But tbh, I think it would take relatively a lot of development effort for this one time deal import. Because after you start playing TS4 and you like it, it is unlikely that you would go back to play TS3 again just to import a new family. You would create a new family in TS4 instead. So the import function would only be interesting once for part of the ex TS3 players. And with possible disappointment so that you maybe end up recreating your sims/family anyway.
Alchemist
#9 Old 31st May 2013 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bihem
Whats with the obsession of keeping our old sims and sets. Is a fresh start not exciting to anyone?? It is to me

It is to me too. In fact in the thread talking about which Sims families did you want to be brought to TS4 I said none. I want a completely new game
Inventor
#10 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
All of EA`s next games were revealed to be using Frostbite, a new engine that looks wonderful. It wont be backwards compatible due to the sims 3 and 4 using entirely different engines, im afraid.

When I looked this up, I couldn't find much other than the games that had already used this engine. I'm not a big gamer outside of Sims and a handful of other new games, as most of my games are much older with exception to Skyrim and Fallout 3, so it didn't really give me much information. I'm interested in why you think it's a great engine and what I can hope to look for in Sims 4.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 4:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak

Just to clarify, but the Frostbite engine has been around for quite a while (first used back in 2008 for a BF version), and has been used throughout the BF series, as well as at least one version of Need for Speed, and MOH. The latest version, 3.0, is being used in the development of BF4, and is probably being used for other games rumored as in development, but the engine has never been used for a Sims game in the past, nor is it being used by any documentation I can locate in the development of the TS4 engine.
Instructor
#12 Old 1st Jun 2013 at 1:56 PM
Battlefield and The Sims have very little in common, so I can't really see why they would be using the same engine.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 6:20 AM
Resident, I'm pretty sure that means all of EA's next shooters will be using Frostbite. Using the same engine as an FPS for a Sims game would be insane. Not even EA would try that...

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by samsam594
I was just wondering if it would be at all possible for a game like sims to be backwards compatible? I'm assuming not because it is totally different coding, but after spending all kind of money in the sims 3 store I was just wondering if there could be anyway that I could still keep that stuff when sims 4 comes out and use it in the new game. I'm sure it won't be long before converts mods are out but nonetheless I think it would be so much easier if there was a way EA could make it so my items were useable in the new game. Or at least make some kind of conversion software we could buy.... It's just an idea I had. I'm quite aware of how much work it would involve and all the problems that would arise and how it is pretty much unrealistic but still... I can dream.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Explanations why this would not be a good idea?

Even if the Sims 4 didn't have completely different coding it wouldn't happen because less money would be going into EA's wallets. And they can't have that happen can they?
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 9:36 AM
Surely there will be no compatibility, however, it would be great if such a thing were possible. It is very sad to spend so much money on something knowing that so soon cease to use what was purchased.
Theorist
#16 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 3:15 PM
It can and it should, but it won't. No technical reasons why it couldn't be done, but many political and fiscal reasons why it won't.

Resident wet blanket.