Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:47 PM
Default Quad/Tri?
Hey, I'm completely new to creating objects in blender so this may be a silly question...

Should I be building my mesh using faces of 3 or 4 vertices? I just built a heap of random stuff to mess about with and learn from using quads and then figured I should have probably had a look at the meshes of objects found in the game already ( hindsight took the scenic route). So I loaded up a couple of random objects and found them to be tris...

Is there any reason for this? Is it for animation purposes? Lower poly count? To confuse noobs?

Happy with a simple answer of 3 or 4 but if anyone has a few minutes to give a quick overview of the why I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Aug 2018 at 7:39 AM
Default srry for the late reply
Quote: Originally posted by francesca_erin
Hey, I'm completely new to creating objects in blender so this may be a silly question...

Should I be building my mesh using faces of 3 or 4 vertices? I just built a heap of random stuff to mess about with and learn from using quads and then figured I should have probably had a look at the meshes of objects found in the game already ( hindsight took the scenic route). So I loaded up a couple of random objects and found them to be tris...

Is there any reason for this? Is it for animation purposes? Lower poly count? To confuse noobs?

Happy with a simple answer of 3 or 4 but if anyone has a few minutes to give a quick overview of the why I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you

The Triangle thing is a requirement for all games (i learnt this the hard way when making some items for a Dota2 character when they specified a really low triangle count while as i had made a really high end item) It is basically to reduce game lag as in games u get to decide the story/course of story like what ur character does etc. The detailing u see is usally speciality maps/textures such as diffuse map(aka color map), normal map (a blue-green-red map which records value of position of each vertice/vertex), specular map (defines shine). An apt example of that can be seen in this image:http://www.goraaz.se/gallery/WardenConstruction.jpg as well as in the page related to it:https://polycount.com/discussion/14...blizzfest-entry
Dont worry, it may all seem overwhelming (it is at the start) but once u get the hang of it, ud be advising other ppl having similar queries like u (as i am advising u now)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by UlfangzRTR400V
The Triangle thing is a requirement for all games (i learnt this the hard way when making some items for a Dota2 character when they specified a really low triangle count while as i had made a really high end item) It is basically to reduce game lag as in games u get to decide the story/course of story like what ur character does etc. The detailing u see is usally speciality maps/textures such as diffuse map(aka color map), normal map (a blue-green-red map which records value of position of each vertice/vertex), specular map (defines shine). An apt example of that can be seen in this image:http://www.goraaz.se/gallery/WardenConstruction.jpg as well as in the page related to it:https://polycount.com/discussion/14...blizzfest-entry
Dont worry, it may all seem overwhelming (it is at the start) but once u get the hang of it, ud be advising other ppl having similar queries like u (as i am advising u now)

Thank you for taking the time
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 11:17 PM Last edited by AshenSeaced : 21st Aug 2018 at 5:39 AM.
Well basically you can do it in 4 vertices per faces (Quad) when you are creating your mesh at the mean time, the thing is quad keeps your mesh directions to avoid generate modifiers to mess up your mesh. What's the matter is all games requires 3 vertices per faces (Tri) but, you are building it in Quad right ? So simply select all your vertices and triangulate it when you are done creating your mesh by hitting (Ctrl + T in blender). This would be the basic and easiest way to create a mesh. You might be look so confused about this build it in quad and triangulate it the end and asking why we don't build it triangle from the start, I would say that its appropriate to use quad and the proper way when you are building something than doing it in triangle as you noticed that 4 vertices is a perfect equivalent of 2 triangles.

AshenSS