Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 10:25 AM
Default GeForce 460 for Sims 2
While going through the system requirements for the Sims games posted here on MTS, I found out my GTX 460 video card is "completely unsuitable for playing The Sims 2".
But I have been playing TS2 with this card for 3.5 years already! With no problems as far as I can tell. The only issue was at the very start, back when I just bought PC, with digital artifacts showing when playing TS2, but one of the Nvidia patches fixed the problem.
I am not a tech savvy person, and I wonder now if I do some [invisible yet] damage to my card and/or PC by playing TS2 with GTX 460?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 11:20 AM
It's not that TS2 itself damages your card. Usually it's that the card either overheats, or isn't powerful enough to keep up and deliver acceptable performance. It could any reason really.

That being said, I think the GTX 460 should be okay for the sims 2, and according to this: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._for_The_Sims_2, it is.

Where did you read that it is completely unsuitable?
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 11:44 AM Last edited by Amairani : 11th Jun 2015 at 11:58 AM.
GeForce 460 is marked in red there, so according to the note this card is among those that are "while officially supported, are completely unsuitable for playing The Sims 2." This must be something new, I'm sure this note wasn't there before, I'd see it.

About overheating, I did notice the PC works louder (it means a fan works harder, as I understand it) when playing TS2 than it does when I play TS3. Performance wise, I have no complaints at all, I play TS2 on max settings, there are always many sims on community lots or parties..
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amairani
GeForce 460 is marked in red there

I see that it says "GeForce MX 420, 440 and 460" in red.

The GeForce MX 460 and GeForce GTX 460 are not the same card at all.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 12:21 PM
Well... I feel stupid now. Thank you for clearing it up for me, I already began panicking here.