Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#10651 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:16 AM
I burnt water once. Yep .. shore 'nuff did.

I had put a pan of water on to boil as I was gonna make some box mac 'n cheese. I totally forgot 'bout it until a roommate called me back to the kitchen. The pan was so very, very, veeeery scorched that I almost considered tossin it out, but it is a favorite pan and with a bit of determination (and mom's help) it was saved.

(I am a very good cook and while I can't say that I never forgot somethin cookin before, the majority of the time I do, but this time, well I can't say what happened other than it literally left my mind that I was cookin.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#10652 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:59 PM Last edited by grammapat : 17th Nov 2017 at 3:00 PM. Reason: slight correction.
Other than a melted pan, maybe there would not be an actual FIRE. I generally try to burn down the whole house, by wandering off while an actual food item is on the stove - with my personal favorite, lots of grease. How nice that in Sim houses walls,floors,doors,ceilings,don't catch fire. OK, SOMETHING burns on the floor, but as the floor is undamaged, it's probably just dirt.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#10653 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
for Cyjon's Fewer Tourists mod, what is the new minimum for tourist townies? How many need to be created?

As far as I know, there is no real "minimum." I created exactly two, and it works fine, but of course there are usually some hotel rooms left empty. I've been thinking of creating a few more but I haven't yet managed to get around to it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10654 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 5:35 PM
Anyway, for Cyjon's Fewer Tourists mod, what is the new minimum for tourist townies? How many need to be created?

For tourists in general = zero - I made Little Carping NPC and townie free and use the noregen hacks. Though I have gradually been adding my own, I have never yet made any tourists. I made Little Carping in 2007 so I think that's probably pretty clear. I imagine with Cyjon's hack, he's simply made it so that the game spawns a lower number of tourists than the regulation 36 - not that there has to be a minimum number (because the game does not require that).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#10655 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 7:45 PM
I mean the minimum of tourists required to keep the game from sulking and not generating any on its own. Cyjon's Fewer Tourists mod page states that if you have a game where there are no tourists - like if you use a clean template - then the game won't generate ANY tourists. So you have to make your own tourists.

How do you make the game automatically make its own tourists without you doing anything to make tourists in CAS or using the NPC/Townie Maker? How do you make it so the game just generates tourists the way it generates other townies or dormies when you use clean templates - like when it notices a vacant room?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10656 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 8:47 PM
TBH JDacapo, I don't know. Tourists normally get created on neighbourhood creation (as do most of the NPCs and townies). I imagine, yes, they would get created when the game calls for them. That's what happens with everything else.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#10657 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:19 PM
The problem is, according to Cyjon, they don't get created randomly - the game expects there to be a certain number or it won't create any tourists at all.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10658 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:21 PM
And he doesn't mention it on the upload thread? Hmmm ... you'd think that was needed info.

Mad Poster
#10659 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:22 PM
He states that he lowered the requirement, but he didn't specify whether it was to zero or not. Also I don't have the notownieregen mod in right now because I am kinda depending on generated social class townies and the like.
Alchemist
#10660 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:45 PM
cauldrons.
need to be claimed in order to be used?
and can be used only by the witch/warlock that claimed them?
anything made from them goes directly to inventory?
ones on unowned lots, would they become unclaimed when any claimers exit lot? or would the claimers still own them when anyone visits the lot?

Apartment Life's "Silent Mode" phone options.
changing one phone changes each phone of the household? or just the one phone?
Mad Poster
#10661 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:59 PM
The cauldrons on the secret witch lots can be used by anyone, as far as I know.
And unless I'm misremembering, yes everything crafted at a cauldron goes directly into the crafter's inventory.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10662 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM
He states that he lowered the requirement, but he didn't specify whether it was to zero or not. Also I don't have the notownieregen mod in right now because I am kinda depending on generated social class townies and the like.

I use the hack that uses townies for apartment neighbours - avoids too much apartment neighbour generating (or any at all actually).

Mad Poster
#10663 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
cauldrons.
need to be claimed in order to be used?
and can be used only by the witch/warlock that claimed them?
anything made from them goes directly to inventory?
ones on unowned lots, would they become unclaimed when any claimers exit lot? or would the claimers still own them when anyone visits the lot?

Apartment Life's "Silent Mode" phone options.
changing one phone changes each phone of the household? or just the one phone?

Cauldrons:
They must be claimed, and can only be used by the claimer. (Other Sims can look into the cauldron, which makes them run to the nearest sink to get a drink.)
Everything made from it goes to inventory. One of Pescado's hacks changes it so a witch hired in an owned business to make witchy items will have their stuff go into the owner's inventory instead.
Unowned lots reset when Sims leave and the cauldrons will become unclaimed.

I think Silent Mode is lot-wide, although I don't remember using it much in the past.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#10664 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 1:34 AM
On the whole 'smoke alarm' thing, I just accidentally set off the smoke alarm for the entire apartment building. I turned on the wrong burner. Oops.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#10665 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 3:31 AM
Scholar
#10666 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 3:56 AM
The sims smoke alarms are realistic in their coverage, but unrealistic in other respects because real life smoke alarms go off whenever the hell they want to. This is why I still don't have a smoke alarm in my room. I hate being jerked awake by a loud alarm only to find that there wasn't any fire - or even a puff of smoke.

And then they don't go off when the room is so full of thick black smoke that you still can't breathe even when you go out the back door. I used to have one of those combination microwave/convection ovens, and once accidentally put some frozen garlic bread buns for 20 minutes on microwave instead of regular. Not a squeak from the fire alarm as I carried the resultant glowing "coals" outside and dropped them in a puddle, with black smoke billowing out around me, and more black smoke billowing out the front door. It took us about half an hour to clear it out, with doors open front and back, and in all that time the smoke alarm had not the slightest thing to say to us.

But the following day it went off as I was making toast, no smoke in sight.
Mad Poster
#10667 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:17 AM
What determines if a sim gets a "learned how to make" memory for a given food? I was recently confused when my sims didn't receive memories for learning to make hamburgers, as I'd assumed there was some sort of skill requirement cutoff and that hamburgers would be over the threshold. Guess not, tho.
Mad Poster
#10668 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:18 AM
Looks like it's safest if people sleep in shifts then - at the very least, they would KNOW if there is a fire.
Mad Poster
#10669 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
What determines if a sim gets a "learned how to make" memory for a given food? I was recently confused when my sims didn't receive memories for learning to make hamburgers, as I'd assumed there was some sort of skill requirement cutoff and that hamburgers would be over the threshold. Guess not, tho.

I think it has to be above a certain cooking level - 4 or 5 IIRC.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10670 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn

So long as the food isn't burnt they should get the memory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#10671 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
And then they don't go off when the room is so full of thick black smoke that you still can't breathe even when you go out the back door. I used to have one of those combination microwave/convection ovens, and once accidentally put some frozen garlic bread buns for 20 minutes on microwave instead of regular. Not a squeak from the fire alarm as I carried the resultant glowing "coals" outside and dropped them in a puddle, with black smoke billowing out around me, and more black smoke billowing out the front door. It took us about half an hour to clear it out, with doors open front and back, and in all that time the smoke alarm had not the slightest thing to say to us.

But the following day it went off as I was making toast, no smoke in sight.

I once tried to microwave a bag of popcorn that was three months past its due date. I stupidly left the kitchen to read something while waiting, and then I turned around to find the room covered in smoke. The popcorn didn't pop at all but rather got singed. The smoke detector in the kitchen was a little late on that accident.

Other than that, that darn thing always blared at even the slightest hint of "smoke". We put it out of its misery for good and haven't had it back up in the kitchen since.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Field Researcher
#10672 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 3:26 PM

I recently added a new hood with the noregen mods in (antiredundancy, notownieregen and nostrayrespawn) and I still got the social group townies, just not any regular townies.

I also got stray pets, vacation locals and townies, garden club members, plus I seem to have 3 of some NPCs (food judges, butlers, landlords, animal police) but no paper boys/girls (I have a no paper delivery mod), maids, social workers, firefighters. Not sure if this is what is supposed to happen with these mods in or not. It may be that some of these can only be prevented with empty templates.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Mad Poster
#10673 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 3:49 PM
I've been using empty templates, including an empty Exotic Locations. That is why I asked how many of the tourist families are needed for the game to start generating new tourist sims - in other words, for it to create the new tourists when it is needed. I am sorry, but nobody is giving me the information that I need. This is getting very frustrating.
Mad Poster
#10674 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 4:17 PM
I don't think anybody knows. If you have no-respawn hacks in, they never will.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#10675 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 4:31 PM
I've been using empty templates, including an empty Exotic Locations. That is why I asked how many of the tourist families are needed for the game to start generating new tourist sims - in other words, for it to create the new tourists when it is needed. I am sorry, but nobody is giving me the information that I need. This is getting very frustrating.

Since you are using empty templates the game is not going to automatically generate tourist because of how the game is coded. You can use CJ's Fewer Tourist mod (in his mod description he explains how the game is coded) here: http://cyjon.net/node/290. You can also create them yourself; there is a tutorial here at MTS: http://modthesims.info/t/529698.

I play custom neighborhoods and have always created my own vacation neighborhoods. I've used CJ's mod and I've created my own tourist families.
Page 427 of 1339