Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2018 at 6:22 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default New ASUS gaming laptop, 144hz/g-sync. Sims 2 will only work if connected to external display.
I don't expect anyone to have much input, because I've been googling it and poking things for hours, but putting it out here for posterity.

First the disclaimers: I'm very familiar with all the technical weirdness of running TS2 on modern systems, including UC, Windows 10, and flashing pink problems. It isn't that.

I know about needing to edit Graphics Rules and Video Cards files. It isn't that.

I know the issues with dual-chipset laptops. It isn't that. (This laptop ONLY has a GTX1070, it does not have any alternate GPU.)

So, the problem: This is a brand new ASUS laptop featuring a 144hz display that supports g-sync. (Yes, I've tried disabling g-sync.) When using the laptop's own display, TS2 does two things:

1) In full screen, it fails to find a directx device.

2) With -w it will run, but only at 640x480 WAIT, DON'T CLICK REPLY, REMEMBER I SAID I KNOW ABOUT GRAPHICS RULES.sgr. I do.

The graphics rules are fine, and the game will run in 1920x1080 and behave normally if... I connect a crappy old 1920x1080 monitor to the laptop using mini-display port to HDMI. If only using this external monitor, the game will then run fine in windowed or full screen mode, I can control the smoothing and have multiple resolution options, basically everything you would expect when it has properly recognized the GTX 1070.

I've changed everything I can in the NVIDIA control panel that seems remotely applicable (refresh, scaling, disabling g-sync, etc). I think this one has me beat. The game just doesn't think the laptop's built-in display is compatible, or something.

Again, mostly leaving this here in case other people have the same issue, although I'll try any reasonable suggestions. (Actually trying to fix this for a friend.)

Thanks!