Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 12:40 AM
Default That Charlatan dude is REALLY ticking me off.
Once you hear that maniacal laugh, you know trouble has arrived.

Everywhere you go, he's there. College library? Yes. Club downtown? Mhm. Exotic destinations? Yes! [And with localized outfits, if I remember correctly! ]

But at the end of the day, he's still annoying.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 12:45 AM
Just don't delete him and you should be fine. I think I deleted him and his lover Mrs. Crumplebottom like... 25 times?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 12:49 AM
He's having quite a field day in Coral Bay, I'm starting to think he is in league with the burglar.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#4 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 12:51 AM
You could try this. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=17.0

There's an option to 'ban' Unsavory Charlatan and he won't come anymore. You can 'ban' the other NPCs as well (e.g. Mrs. Crumplebottom).

Of course you can allow him to visit community lots again, just in case you missed him so hard and want him back.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 2:09 AM
Visitor controller. So useful.

Be gone Crimplebottom and co.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 2:24 AM
I ban his butt everywhere, using Visitor Controller. I even ban his butt in residential areas, just in case my game burps and I see him around. I'm taking no chances. I loathe the potential game-breaker.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#7 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 2:54 AM
I ban him from residential and community too after reading he can show up at a sims home if they reported him to police or beat him up.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 4:01 AM
I love old Crumplebutt.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 8:52 AM
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 9:03 AM
He's not a game-breaker gazania because he's not a universal.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 9:10 AM
Yes he is. He's on the list and I always thought he was. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 10:01 AM
He likes to play cards And pool. And Sims with logic points are safer than others.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 10:37 AM
I don't remember, is it safe to pick him up with move objects and delete when he appears? It ought to be, since the visitor controller does pretty much the same thing.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 1:38 PM
You can do that with anybody, gummilutt, because it doesn't affect the files.

I regard the Charlatan as a basic game hazard and don't mind him. When he appears in an active playable's queue I tend to cross him out, but I like seeing him dealing with inactive sims in the background. He tried to con Homer Land, who is a cop, and got shut down; but he managed to pick Homer's grandson's pocket while he was in swim trunks the other night! And then there's Aegagropilon's story about how reluctantly he robbed criminal mastermind Rich Mann in her game, which is freaking hilarious. I love that he hangs around Strangebrewski's in Strangetown, which everyone knows is a front for the drug cartels, but everyone goes to because there's no cover and there's noplace else to play pool or poker in Strangetown.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#15 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 1:49 PM
I too just use Visitor Controller to ban (from home and community lots) he and all the other annoying NPC/Sims (Crumplebottom, garden club, all supernaturals) that show up. If I want a criminal type in the neighborhood, I just create one.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 4:05 PM Last edited by gazania : 12th Jul 2015 at 12:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes he is. He's on the list and I always thought he was. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

I saw that on the list as well, which is why I'm wary of him.

I don't even like interacting with these characters at all. I once forgot to turn off a autonomous romantic mod on a residential lot, and what Mrs. Crumplebottom did on that lot ... egads! Agnes! Never knew you had a wild and crazy side. She went after my most attractive user-mades as well. What is seen can't be unseen.

It was a miracle my game didn't go pfffft right then and there. It was back in 2007/2008 (during my more naive period regarding the game), and I've reinstalled since then and started fresh, so any danger has long passed. However, I developed a deep wariness of those type of characters since that time, and the Charlatan is guilty by association, as far as I'm concerned. If he isn't a game breaker as the wiki implies, he's probably a hood breaker. I break hoods on my own. I don't need his help!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#17 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Essa : 11th Jul 2015 at 5:29 PM.
I kinda like the music I heard in the background when he arrives on a community lot.
I don't mind him because my sims are smarter than him.
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 4:47 PM Last edited by maxon : 11th Jul 2015 at 5:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

No he isn't - his files are in your neighbourhoods folder - different files in each neighbourhood. He's not a universal. If you're unsure, check it out in SimPE (I have).

Edit to add some pictures to show you:

Unsavory Charlatan from Little Carping in SimPE - as you can see the file number is 174.
The File itself in the neighbourhood Characters folder.
The file opened in SimPE - as you can see the file is the Unsavory Charlatan.

Universals by definition do not have files in neighbourhood folders, they are somewhere in the game files. Doing something that causes the game to write to those files causes game-wide corruption which usually means a reinstall. However, while getting the UC to do something that he isn't coded for is probably a bad idea (and we don't know that for certain) causing the game to write something to his file does so to the copy in your neighbourhood folder. This might cause corruption (and we don't know that for certain) but fixing it involves deleting the neighbourhood. And, by the way, the UC is coded to interact in certain ways with other sims as is Mrs C - I see nothing in the interaction between them on here that is causing me the slightest concern.

If the wiki says the UC is a universal, it's wrong.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 5:51 PM
The UC has incomplete data and it's a bad idea to move him in or make him playable - his incomplete name told you that - but as long as you let him run through his little routines normally, he's not dangerous. He doesn't even steal that much.

He's funniest in vacation neighborhoods, where he tries to disguise himself as a native.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 10:00 PM
You can mod him out Mod is by Neder here on MTS - it works fine with both UC and the discs and I used it for a long time. I uninstalled the mod because I never saw him fighting with Crumplebottom and I would like to see that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
No he isn't - his files are in your neighbourhoods folder - different files in each neighbourhood. He's not a universal. If you're unsure, check it out in SimPE (I have).

If the wiki says the UC is a universal, it's wrong.

The Wiki lists him among Crumpbutt and Grim. In that case whoever edits the wiki should change that. I still think he isn't safe to mess with so treating him like a universal is still a good practice. If people think he is like a maid or a paper delivery and move him in they will be in for trouble.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 12:04 AM
Peni gave the most reasonable advice. 'Safe' is relative here. My original point to gazania is that he is not a game-breaker and that still stands. Messing with him might well cause problems in your hood but not the game overall.

And, yes, the wiki needs to be altered. People come here and to the wiki to find information and if that is wrong, it's not helping anyone.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 7:10 AM
He acts differently, though, imo - Sims actually meet him when playing pool and cards with him - there is a relationship which does not happen with Crumplebottom? He played cards with Julien Cooke in my game - and he is said to like games. I don't mess with him but he does join games on community lots. He was also playing pool with Goopy later that night.
Page 1 of 2