Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 12:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installing the Sims 2 on two Drives?
Hello all.

So, I'm wanting to install two iterations of the Sims 2 on my new computer. One on the C: drive (for my 100% medieval playthrough) and one on the D: drive for my modern one. For whatever reason, the game just doesn't seem to want to boot from the D: drive. I've changed the target and directory, moved all of the relevant files to the D: drive, made new Origin folders in D: ...... the works. Is what I'm trying to do just not possible, or did I miss a step somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 12:38 AM
It's easier to install it once and have multiple sims 2 folders.

Here is what mine looks like

All you have to do is rename your sims 2 fodler and the game will make you another one. Just rename them when you want to play. Right now I am playing my modern game sicne the game only reads the folder called 'The Sims 2' if I wanted to play my medieval folder I would rename my sims 2 folder 'The sims 2 Coral Bay' and then rename my medieval folder there back to 'The Sims 2' Each one is fully separated from the other so you are free to use a whole different set of defaults, it also takes up way less room on your computer.

As to installing the sims 2 on D drive, yes you can, that is where my game is installed to, but all the hoods and downloads are on my C drive. It may not be possible to install it to two directories, but as you can see, you don't have to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 12:46 AM
That was my original idea XD

I just have an entire TB of free space on D: and I wanted to do a lot of system overhauls for medieval that I don't necessarily want to include in a modern version. (No townie regen, etc.) But I suppose I can just bite the bullet for the convenience. :P
Thank you for your help!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 1:09 AM
Well you can certainly install your game on D, only your sims 2 folder will be on C. You can totally have one folder with townies and one with none, I do. Except mine is the other way around, I have townies in my medieval game folder and none except the ones I make in my modern folder

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 1:37 AM
On our XP machine, the old installation, my husband wanted all the system files on the C drive, all the programs on the D drive, and all the data on the E drive. We were able to install Sims2 on the D drive and change the My Documents folder to be on the E drive. But I don't know how much that kind of thing is possible on other OSes.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 3:17 AM
But it's not needed for what the OP wants to achieve, separate games with no townies. The only thing would be things in the installation files, those would cross over to each folder. I find scrptorium items like stairs make it into both games.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#7 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 8:59 PM
for games that have 2 or more directories with same installation, 2 or more installations on same computer to me would be better in different operating systems.
with this game, different drives can be specified for the "Program Files" directory; but the "My Documents" directory would be the same with all those installations.