Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:02 PM
Default New VIP blog entry
Quote:
Fri Oct 03 09:00:00 GMT 2008
Create a Style

My name is Jenn, and I’m a producer on The Sims 3. It’s always fun to talk about the game with players and today I’m going to tell you all about one of my favourite new features in The Sims 3 — Create a Style!

Have you ever gone shopping and found a great outfit, perfect in every way except the pattern looks like a paint bucket exploded in the textile factory? Ever lost track of time after sitting in super comfy reading chair because you’ve been hypnotised by the garish pattern?

No worries! In The Sims 3 you’ll be able to put your personal touch on practically everything that your Sims own.

The Sims 3 will have a slew of clothing and objects available in the Create a Sim, Build Mode, and Buy Mode catalogs. There are plenty of ready-made design options, so you can quickly dress your Sim or furnish your house with designer flare and go play. But if you want to interject your own personal style into the game, Create a Style allows you to customise clothing, furnishings, walls, and nearly anything else your Sims can interact with.

In Create a Style you’ll have dozens of patterns to choose from including different fabrics, masonry, paint, metals, and a lot more. You can use the patterns in any way you want. If you really, really want to make a Sim wearing metal shoes and wooden pants, go for it!

Not only can you switch patterns around, you can apply them to select areas of an object to create a unique look. You can create a polka dot door with animal print door knobs or a tile lined sink with plaid water fixtures. Each item has between one and four customisable regions that can be modified. Take a polo shirt and add a plaid pattern to the collar, stripes to the sleeves and leopard print to the body for that … unique … design flourish. Okay, maybe there are more fashionable ways to design, but that’s for you to decide.

What if you love that bold geometric pattern, but hate the color scheme? Create a Style lets you pick the colours within patterns too. It even has warm and cool colour palates to help you match hues for a colour-coordinated theme.

When you’re finished creating, you can save your design for later use. And if you’re really into coordinated schemes, it’s easy to apply the same pattern to other objects that your Sims own for that extreme matchy-matchy look. Your Sims could have black and white striped socks to match their black and white striped car or a plaid shirt that matches their countertops. Your Sim’s house could be decked out in argyle everything! – or not…

With so many options, you can decorate your house with a different motif everyday. Will you choose classic, rustic, and chic themes or mix and match to your hearts desire? Will you make your Sims fashion victims or mavericks of style? It’s up to you to create their style.

I can hardly wait to see your results!
Jenn

Not too much new info but at least something new... plus they posted 3 new and cool pics from the game!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:16 PM
This is great, This makes me want the game even more!!!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:39 PM
No mention if we get to use our own patterns as well or have to use only theirs. Probably the latter. :/

edit: oh my god, do I see a miniature cowplant?! <3 <3 <3
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chyrun
No mention if we get to use our own patterns as well or have to use only theirs. Probably the latter. :/

I'm really sure that in one of the intervies they said we would be able to use our own patterns, so don´t worry!!! :yippee:
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 10:39 AM
Well, I see that they are putting the playground equipment in from the get-go this time. I'm happy about that...and I think that is the stealing candy from a baby interaction we heard about in the MTV article in the playground picture as well.
#6 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 11:32 AM
Hmm, judging from the picture, does that mean we can take toddlers to the parks now. I wonder about babies.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 12:36 PM
It's an open neighbouhood so I think it shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 5:37 PM
This thing is one of those which make me think that TS3 will be MUCH better and handier than TS2. Just think about it: if there will be CC for it, no one will have to upload recolours, and everyone will be able to customize clothes and objects without tools, simply in game.
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chyrun

Even if it is the latter I am sure people will discover a way to import your own patterns and textures. I think it's likely we'll be able to anyway.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenChris
Hmm, judging from the picture, does that mean we can take toddlers to the parks now. I wonder about babies.

It was stated already that babies and toddlers can now be taken to community lots. The only downfall at the time was that their parents had to carry them there and thus why I and many others have suggested there be strollers. Without strollers and just having to carry your babies everywhere is so utterly ridiculous and unrealistic. What touch job is it really to just make strollers? Even if it was only one style, I'll still be okay with that.
#11 Old 11th Oct 2008 at 12:08 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Frankie. Must have missed that bit of info.

Strollers would be great. What happens if a sim has twins in a one parent household? It's pretty hard to carry two toddlers or babies to a community lot. Strollers just make more sense.

I do wonder about the patterns thing too. I mean not all people are artists, will there be an exchange of patterns? Will you have to use their graphics program or can you upload your own graphic to the game? What about textures? I just have a lot of questions still.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 2:02 AM
No, the patterns and textures are a bunch that will be in the game, but I guess to make your own, yeah, most likely a photo editor would be needed or at least recommended. Maybe it will be easy to make. I'm sure in no time we'll see tutorials.

And we also need double strollers for twins!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
No, the patterns and textures are a bunch that will be in the game, but I guess to make your own, yeah, most likely a photo editor would be needed or at least recommended. Maybe it will be easy to make. I'm sure in no time we'll see tutorials.

And we also need double strollers for twins!

Strollers would be so much fun. I'd like for elder ladies to stop and make funny faces at the baby and mabye for toddlers to want to push the strollers themselves.
#14 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kusama
This thing is one of those which make me think that TS3 will be MUCH better and handier than TS2. Just think about it: if there will be CC for it, no one will have to upload recolours, and everyone will be able to customize clothes and objects without tools, simply in game.

Yeah, maybe when making custom content, we can make designs (like the shape of a shirt or couch; meshes basically) and patterns that can go on ALL of them.

Like in that one screenshot with the guy and girl and everything was matching camo... so you could have your sim's shirt match their bedspread.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Strollers would be so much fun. I'd like for elder ladies to stop and make funny faces at the baby and mabye for toddlers to want to push the strollers themselves.

I was thinking toddlers would also be in the strollers and not just babies because they can't walk throughout the entire town, it would be unrealistic and not safe for them. Besides, they can't reach the strollers to push, lol.
Alchemist
#16 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 11:35 PM
Yet another VIP entry about careers:
Quote:

Hello Fans of The Sims!

When it comes to careers, you frequently hear this advice, “Do what you love, and love what you do.” As a designer on The Sims 3, I love my job because I’ve been able to witness The Sims grow and develop right alongside me. In The Sims 3, I can assure you that your Sims will be able to do what they love, and love what they do, too! Their careers have matured and are deeper with exciting new gameplay and I’m going to share some of that with you today.

First, you’ll have many of your favorite careers from The Sims 2 such as the Law Enforcement and Athletic tracks. Of course, there will also be some new ones! With the debut of the Journalism career, your Sim will get to exercise their charisma skill by writing superior reviews of Sunset Valley locales and potentially become a star news anchor!

Your Sims can look for these jobs in the newspaper or apply right at the building where they’d like to work. If you want them to be musicians, head down to the theater to join up and then maybe stay for a show afterwards!

However, if you’re the type who likes to make a living at home selling paintings or growing fruit and vegetables and you want to pull in a little extra cash on the side — you can! Just swing by the local grocery store or day spa and sign up for a part-time job, complete with perks such as discounted ingredients and complimentary massages!

One of my favorite parts of the new career system is that there are some really enjoyable factors that determine your performance. For example, in the Business career, you can weasel your way to the top by schmoozing with the boss and developing your relationship outside of work. In the Medical career, keeping up on the medical journals that arrive in your mailbox will put you ahead. If you’re a politician, you’ll want to throw campaign fundraisers and solicit donations from the locals downtown.

Now this brings up a funny story: Today we had a team meeting in which Ben, the executive producer of the game, was giving a demo where he was playing a Sim in the Politics career. Unexpectedly, an opportunity popped up offering him a chance to dip into the campaign funds and illicitly skim some cash off the top for himself. Ben’s Sim gave it a shot, but was caught in the act, and the City Hall canned him. Too bad… but the local crime syndicate soon got word and within hours he’d been offered a lucrative position in the Criminal track! It was one of those unexpected moments that has always made The Sims games so entertaining!

Another exciting feature The Sims 3 now offers is branching careers! If you were to take a job at the criminal hideout, midway through you’ll be given the chance to delve into the burglar branch where you could become a Master Thief, or perhaps you’ll decide Evil is your true calling, and you’ll aim to be a World Dominator.

Once you reach the top of a career, though, it’s not over — if you keep excelling at your duties, you can rake in extra Simoleans through additional raises.

In The Sims 3, you can also take a bit of your career home with you through our new Opportunity system. Opportunities pop up while you play, giving you the chance to do a bit of extra work for a bonus—added performance, improved relationships with your coworkers, cash, a raise, or objects, to name a few.

For example, while you’re an evil henchman, you may be asked to rough someone up for the greater good of criminals everywhere. On the opposite side of the ethical scale, if you’re a medical intern, you might get an opportunity to donate part of your pancreas — you’ll be sore, but you’ll make a new friend and get a raise to boot. Or maybe your employer recognizes you’re an aspiring artist on the side and will request you bring in one of your better paintings to hang in the building!

There are also other ways to get opportunities that don’t depend on your Sims’ careers. If you’re working on a skill, you may get calls from other Sims looking for your help — but that’s a different story for a different day. Now it’s time I go back to doing what I love. Hopefully you’ll all love what we do too!

-- Ray Mazza

And check out these cool pictures that came with it:
http://thesims3.ea.com/screenshots/...tronaut_big.jpg
http://thesims3.ea.com/screenshots/...station_big.jpg
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:56 AM
This was already posted at the condensed thread but thank you in case others missed it. It is cool, I love the idea of branching careers!