Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 4:58 PM
Default Ads in TS3
This has made me even less interested in TS3, if that's possible.

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=131522

Are they nuts? :handbag:
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 4:59 PM
Makes it look more realistic to me so I like it
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 5:00 PM
Eww. I hate anything that isn't simlish in my game. That would bug the crap out of me. Hopefully the TS3 hack creating community can come up with a way to feed the game nice simlish ads rather than that hogwash.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#4 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Eww. I hate anything that isn't simlish in my game. That would bug the crap out of me. Hopefully the TS3 hack creating community can come up with a way to feed the game nice simlish ads rather than that hogwash.

I agree. They could at least make the ads in simlish, that way it would actually be interesting. I don't want ads that I would see while browsing the web make its way into my game as well
#5 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
This has made me even less interested in TS3, if that's possible.

http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=131522

Are they nuts? :handbag:

Well but at least it can be switched in and out!!! so if you don't want this on your game (I don't want it in mine) just turn it off :D
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:03 PM
Meh, they're probably just recolor presets. I'm sure they'll have Simlish posters in the game as well.
#7 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:10 PM
It would be realistic and really cool for my adult sim to go on a date and be able to watch, say, SAW V in the movie theater. But, I don't want my sim to conviently reach for a product placement but instead think, "Do I really want to watch Saw V? Isn't there enough of those movies out right now?" Maybe the date could end in a sour note due to one of them being forced to watch a movie they didn't want to see? I agree that if they do put ads in the game, it should be in Simish.
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:18 PM
Why would anyone want advertisements in game? I like everything in my game to be simlish.

Lowshot, EA.
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:20 PM
if you notice in the pic of the child taking candy from the toddler...on the playground

the billboard in back is also in english

i dunno...im kinda excited about this...why? i dunno.... but...i think itll be cool
but if there comes a simlish version mod...ill so get that

EDIT: i agree with what croc says below :P
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:27 PM
I don't mind the advertisements, in English or otherwise, as long as they won't be pop-ups and they won't be on everything. H&M, IKEA and the Ford cars are advertisements and they have been pretty popular with simmers. And they didn't have the brand name written all over them.
#11 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 3:49 AM
Ugh ads?
This is horrible to me =(
I can't beleive my favourite game brand is selling out so easy. This nearly ruins everything for me. I expected more from them...
I mean, this means they're trying to get us to think about buying more crap we don't need while we're playing a game. This is our free time, we shouldn't have consumerism bombarded at us!
Thanks a lot EA, in your mindless grab for money you're ruining a potentially great game...
Scholar
#12 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 4:04 AM
im sorry but...like...maybe in thick in the head but...

..how is adding a iron man poster and a indiana jones banner to a local movie theater in game "ruining a great game"?
over dramatic much?

i mean...if it bothers you *THAT MUCH* A im sure you can turn your modem off...that way the game cant connect to the internet...then the ads will be blank or replaced by default sims 3 adverts or somthing

i mean really...alot of the ppl at the bbs now think that you wont be able to play the game AT ALL if you dont have internet...and thats just dumb. use common scence people at the BBS >_<

so yea...
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 4:23 AM
It doesn't really make a difference to me. The posters could be useful to me and either way I probably won't really pay them any attention. I'll be too fascinated by all the other cool stuff in the game :D

Guys they're just trying to make the game more interesting to us...it hasn't even came out yet so you don't really know what you'll like about it or not.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 5:25 AM
Ads in the game, it can't be a good thing. It means we're paying for ads Of course I won't like it... I know I won't.

And they might require internet connections, night racer. Who knows what else they have in their greedy minds?

Also, they're not only talking about posters, did you read the one example about over-the-counter pain relief? They're encouraging young people to take a pill whenever they feel exhausted? God knows how many forms the ads will come in. Foods, maybe? Drinks? Clothes? Medicines?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Ads in the game, it can't be a good thing. It means we're paying for ads Of course I won't like it... I know I won't.

And they might require internet connections, night racer. Who knows what else they have in their greedy minds?

Also, they're not only talking about posters, did you read the one example about over-the-counter pain relief? They're encouraging young people to take a pill whenever they feel exhausted? God knows how many forms the ads will come in. Foods, maybe? Drinks? Clothes? Medicines?

What's the difference between sims eating a Simbrand cereal breakfast instead of a kellogs or cheerios or whatever other real life brand cereals? I mean, if yoou look at MTS downloads, and not only them, you see real life brands plasterd on everything. I'd much rather have them made by Maxis cause they usually look better and match nicer with other ingame content. And if medicine advertisements means that sims will actually get to use a real brand toothpaste and real brand pain medicines then even better because it means sims will have pills instead of grandma's confort soup and lots of bed resting. And dynamic movie poster advertisements means I won't have to download them myself and I won't clutter my downloads folder with them.
#16 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:14 AM
I do not like the idea of the ads...but what can we do? This is just another small thing they seem to be doing to get even more money. I think the game will have many great features, but for many, the small things will ruin it for us.

If they wanted to incorporate English (as well as other real languages), I wish they would have did it in The Sims 1. Simlish is something I've come to associate with the Sims. I don't like changing to English after 8 years. If my sims are speaking Simlish, you can be sure there will be a common theme in my game. :P
Instructor
#17 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 10:19 AM
I could deal with it if they were done tastefully. Like, they seemed part of the environment - like on a billboard that doesn't seem out of place or on the Sims TV.
#18 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
What's the difference between sims eating a Simbrand cereal breakfast instead of a kellogs or cheerios or whatever other real life brand cereals? I mean, if yoou look at MTS downloads, and not only them, you see real life brands plasterd on everything. I'd much rather have them made by Maxis cause they usually look better and match nicer with other ingame content. And if medicine advertisements means that sims will actually get to use a real brand toothpaste and real brand pain medicines then even better because it means sims will have pills instead of grandma's confort soup and lots of bed resting. And dynamic movie poster advertisements means I won't have to download them myself and I won't clutter my downloads folder with them.

One of the things I loved about TS2 was that it has its own unique language and writing, it was something i'd never really seen that much in any other game. MTS2 also has simlish posters and artwork, which I think is so beautiful and creative (plus I love figuring out what simlish posters say). TS2 is a separate world from real life, which is why I think they should take the ads out, or be creative and make simlish versions of them.
Instructor
#19 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 2:00 PM
The link wasn't working for me, so I will have to read it another time. I find it interesting that there seems to be a lot of simmers that find this distasteful while some of the really popular downloads on MTS2 are restaurants like Pizza Hut and Ruby Tuesday's. I don't just see it on MTS2 either, a lot of CC sites are filled with real brand name things. I think that shows there will be a lot of simmers happy with this change.

I don't know how I feel about it yet...especially since I didn't get to read the article. I too love all the simlish stuff in the game, but I have the Ford cars and I actually like them loads better than the cars the game comes with. If there is really an option to turn them off like someone mentioned above then that should make everyone happy. XD

Dream
#20 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 7:00 PM
I just wish there wasn't english on the ads.. Then i wouldn't care so much. Simlish please! I'm at the point where i won't download sims stuff with words on it because it looks out of place..
#21 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nekochanpurr
I just wish there wasn't english on the ads.. Then i wouldn't care so much. Simlish please! I'm at the point where i won't download sims stuff with words on it because it looks out of place..

Exactly, it just doesn't fit. Eight years of full Simlish randomly changed to English Ads so greedy old men can make more money...lovely, eh?
Scholar
#22 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 8:51 PM
if i recall.. (i may be wrong...i came into the whole sims thing when NL was released..so im not as knowladgable (SP?))
but if i recall...when they released the brand name things for the sims 1...the mcdonalds and coke machines...people fell in love with them. now they want to add posters and people are all D=< ?

EDIT: o wait..my argument dosnt have much of a foundation here...becuse those were downloads...and these ads for the sims 3 are in game no matter what... nevermind >_<
#23 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:23 PM
I have two problems with this. First, as many have already said, they're not in simlish.

Secondly, I don't get anything out of having the ads in the game. It's different with H&M, IKEA, and Ford. I actually got the clothes, furniture, and cars for the sims to use and not just a random ad.

Oh, and they're not in Simlish. -.-
Scholar
#24 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:30 PM
Yes, it is different with H&M and IKEA, because they're simlish. I don't like my game to have anything but simlish in it.

Another point made on the website the OP linked to,

Quote:
I just had another thought. Some ISPs are capping bandwidth. This means when you hit your limit you are either cut off or pay more, something akin to a cell phone plan. How can this company justify this content download if I ultimately pay for it? That doesn't seem fair me to as a consumer. This setup could mean that I could be paying for ads. There needs to be a way to opt out of this feature.

and,

Quote:
"Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience" I doubt it is organic or useful to the player. Let's think about this one from a user standpoint. Gamers are a notoriously judgmental group of consumers, and will go to great lengths to laud or slander a product - especially in the online realm. EA will need to tread very carefully as it implements these ads. Here is how I see the target market reacting: "I just paid $49.99 for a single player game. Why do I have to see advertisements?"

A few key points: 1) Updates to the advertisements will be periodically delivered via automated internet download. Thus it requires the user to have an internet connection and download an application update, which may cause compatibility issues, bugs, and crashes.
2) The Sims has a traditionally diverse user base (50/50+- split between men and women, various age demographics, etc...). The practical implication is that while playing the game the user will be exposed to many advertisements for undesirable products.
3) The Sims is single player, therefore a continuous stream of new content is not likely past the first 6-8 months of release. Electronic Arts will have to work harder to demonstrate consumer benefits of in game advertisements (i.e. if EA is making money two years down the road from in game ads, what is the consumer getting in return? Regular content updates, new expansion pack, etc...).

I agree with everything the two people have said... it makes a lot of sense.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:37 PM
another way to make money - the people pay EA to advertise their stuff in game.

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Page 1 of 4