Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:55 PM Last edited by whiterider : 4th Jun 2009 at 8:41 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default sims 3 launcher has stopped working, Please Help!
Hi,
I installed sims 3 today and was all excited until I tried to lanuch it using the desktop icon. It displays the message "sims3 lanucher has stopped working" it says windows will search for a solution but it doesnt find one.

Ive also tried to lanuch it from several places even direct from the disc but it comes up with the same message.

Ill add a copy of the diag thingy so in case any of you helpful tech people can see a problem.

Please can you help, I really wanna play my new game.

Many Many Thanks

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/4/2009, 18:33:37
Machine name: LAPTOPHENRIETTA
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer, inc.
System Model: Aspire 5920G
BIOS: ZD1 v1.3708 3G08
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1554MB used, 2747MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600M GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_01211025&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1008 MB
Dedicated Memory: 241 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.0138 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 8:43 PM
Have you tried using TS3.exe from The Sims 3\Game\Bin?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 6:40 AM
Yes I tried TS3.ex from the bin and it aksed which program I wanted to run it with. I browsed for sims 3 and it attempted the task then came up with "sims3 has stopped working" so I had no option than to choose ok.

Any more suggestions would be gratefully receieved.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:31 PM
It shouldn't ask you anything about what program to run it with - is it actually called TS3.ex, or was that a typo? If so, you can try renaming it to TS3.exe, but you may end up having to reinstall.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
It shouldn't ask you anything about what program to run it with - is it actually called TS3.ex, or was that a typo? If so, you can try renaming it to TS3.exe, but you may end up having to reinstall.

The actual file I tried to run the game with was in game/bin and it is named "TS3.ex_"
exactly like that with the underscore. I dont have one called TS3.exe
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:04 PM
i'm having the same problem also
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:52 PM
OK, here is where I am at. I found the TS3.exe file (dont know where I found the other file from but I got the right one in the end) but to no avail. Still said "sims3 launcher has stopped working"
So I rang EA.
They were vey helpful and went through everything with me, checking the spec of my laptop which they said was fine, closing background programs, running as admin etc, etc, but with no result.
They suggested I opted for a digital copy incase my disc was corrupt.
So I uninstalled the sims3 ( for the 4th time) and downloaded a digital copy (which took 3 hours).
Still the same problem "sims3 launcher has stopped working"
I rang EA again and this time they said that I was to send them the dxdiag from my laptop so the big boys could have a look.
They replied and suggested I update my display driver, which I did. But this has not made any difference, I still get the same message when I try to run the game.

I have sent EA an updated copy of my dxdiag showing the new version of my display driver.

I am ever hopeful that one day I will be able to play my shiny new game (I havnt even seen the opening title yet) but I am in the hands of EA with nowhere to run.

internetchik, contact EA, because I am clearly not the only one with this problem.

I will post again with any news I have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 6:40 PM
I am unable to start the game no matter how I try. I have not even seen the opening screen yet. I have tried just about everthing I can to get the game to start.

My problem is:
If I click the sims3 iconon the desktop I get this message "sims3 launcher has stopped working"
If I click the sims3 in the download manager I get this message "sims3 launcher has stopped working"
If I click the TS3.exe in game/bin I get this message "sims3 has stopped working".

I have installed and uninstalled more times than I can count with both a hard copy and a digital copy from EA.

EA have checked my spec and were happy with it.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with service packs 1 and 2.
I have Directx 10
I have even tried running it in compatibility mode. I tried them all out of desperation.
Also tried creating a new user account.
I've tried disabling my internet connection.
I've tried disabling User Account Control.
I have defragged.
I have updated my graphics card.
I have removed all traces of sims 2.
I have moved EA folder from my documents (although its empty) to the desktop.
I tried running as administrator (although I am admin)

Something is preventing the game from starting and I am now at a loss at what to try next.

I have had an ongoing question with EA since 4th June and today they send me this:

"We are still working to resolve your issue for you, however at this time we do not have any new information or suggestions for you to try. We appreciate your patience and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as we have new information."

So if any of you guys could help I will gratefully appreciate it.
shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 7:11 PM Last edited by callistra : 13th Jun 2009 at 7:42 PM.
internetchik If you want help go post your own thread and include system specs.

red2121sharon Okay, I'm going to tackle this from another perspective. That GPU you have there is defective. It can't handle heat like it's supposed to. The laptop you have is notorious for overheating issues. The combination of the two is not good news for you.

I would like to see what temps your computer is presenting with. Normally you want to try to tax your computer but if you can't even get the game to run lets see what happens when you play a movie. Download and run this program: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php Leave it running while you play a DVD on your laptop for at least 20minutes. The program will automatically record how hot things are getting. Screencap the results and post here.

I'm not sure where you got driver updates but try these:
http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...C=en&SC=EMEA_27
http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...8&LC=en&SC=PA_7
http://angelicvoices.net/WDM_R226.exe
http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista/185.77
I'm taking you through updating EVERYTHING. Can't hurt and might help. The last link is some newer modded drivers. I don't know how you updated your drivers before because Acer doesn't have a video driver on their site for that laptop.

Also I want to do some general cleanup on your computer. First off, if you have Norton or McAfee uninstall it fully. Use add/remove programs. It may take several steps and several restarts. After the last bit of uninstall, restart your computer. Install the free version of Avast! or Avira. If you have 'Windows Live OneCare". Uninstall it and do the same.

Use the MSconfig trick here: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...45&postcount=21

Lastly use the CLEANER part of this program: http://www.ccleaner.com/download (don't mess with the registry for now). Look at the bar on the far left side. Go into options -> advanced -> UNCHECK the top box which says "Only delete Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours". Click back on 'cleaner' and hit 'run cleaner'. Also you're going to need to close all browser Windows and it's best if you close all programs before running. It doesn't take long but if you're using the program it can't clean up the temp files. You're going to lose temp files and cookies so make sure you know your passwords.
Instructor
#10 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 8:16 PM Last edited by FalseZen : 13th Jun 2009 at 9:04 PM.
If none of that works, have you tried deleting all the scripts under your C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3?

Just delete everything that is not a folder. The game will write new ones.

If it still won't come up, look in your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves folder. You should see the name of your towns. Such as Sunset Valley.sims3 and Sunset Valley.sims3.backup. Move to desktop or delete Sunset Valley.sims3, then rename the Sunset Valley.sims3.backup to Sunset Valley.sims3. Then try launching, and see if it worked.

This is what I do when my launcher won't start.

Delphy taught me these tricks when he helped me with my town dissappearing. Custom Town Dissappeared

I know your town is probably fine, but as I stated before, doing all this has also solved my launcher crisis a couple of times. I hope it helps you too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 1:01 AM Last edited by red2121sharon : 14th Jun 2009 at 1:13 AM. Reason: more info
callistra, I want to Thank you so very much for your suggestions. I am going to work through them one by one.
I started with the temperature. I was surfing the internet, running the program you gave me and also had a DVD running.
I ran it like this for 40 minutes. Ill work through the other suggestions one by one and and let you know how I get on. Many Thanks again.

This is the screencap.

FalseZen, Thankyou also for your suggestion but I have never even run the game so it never generated any save files, not even a town.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 1:10 AM
Ok It appears that my screencap didnt show up.
So here are the results (hopefully):

https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...999_Capture.JPG
Screenshots
shiny!
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 1:32 AM
Your GPU and your CPU are both very close to being too hot, but still within 2-3 of degrees of ok (meaning two or three degrees more and things are going to start getting damaged). It's hotter than it should be and you don't ever want to get close to max but given your system I don't find it surprising. I don't think heat is the cause of your problems but I would highly recommend getting a cooler for the laptop. Over time, those temps are going to wear your laptop out faster than normal, especially if you want to play Sims 3 on it. Something like this would be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834998685

Good luck going through the rest of the suggestions. Let us know if anything helps, or even just changes something.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:06 AM
Ooo I have a shiny new uptodate driver for my Nvidia. Works like a dream, Thankyou so much.
Ive downloaded the other updates you suggested but Im not sure which files to drop them in yet. Still need to figure out what they are lol.

I dont have Norton or McAfee but I do have Sophos Anti Virus, it is not in your face like Norton. Would Sophos prevent the game stating up?

I really think Im going to take your advice and get a cooling pad too, so Thanks for that also.

Ill keep you up to date with the rest.
shiny!
retired moderator
#15 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:10 AM
Well the audio is .exe file, which is an executable. All you do with any exe is double click and they install. The others are zip.. they prob have an executable once you unzip. Unzip and then look for the .exe file within the folder. If not let me know and I'll download them myself and see what you need to do.

I don't know anyone who uses Sophos so I don't know if it could conflict. Antiviruses are known to sometimes cause problems.. since I can't tell you for sure it WONT hurt then I guess it's possible. I know Avast! and Avira don't conflict.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:31 PM
Hi,
Ok here is what Ive been doing.
I updated all the drivers you gave me (with the extra help, Thanks)

Sophos I have had many years and ran it in the background on this laptop with sims 2. It never caused a problem with sims2.

Is sims3 a very different program to sims2. Obviously I know they are different programs but are they programmed very much differently?

I really would like to keep Sophos if possible because it updates automatically and I also update it myself several times a day (to be on the safe side) but if you really think it could cause sims3 to prevent even launching (and I trust your judgement) then I'm prepared to remove it and give it a go.
I can always put it back on if I cant sleep at night (lol).

So, I used the msconfig trick you gave me. Couldn't believe how many programs and services were running in the background, it's no wonder it took ages to boot up. I had to google several of them to understand what they were but now my laptop starts up much quicker.

I downloaded and used the ccleaner you also gave me.
That has cleaned a tremendous amount of rubbish off my system that I had no idea was lurking in the shadows.

Now my laptop is all sparkly on the inside (thought I may as well clean the outside too while I was at it lol), it boots up fast and my graphics driver is up to date along with all the other drivers.

But sadly my sims 3 still will not run.

Also I have been keeping an eye on the temperature to the point that I was dreaming about it last night, Think I have become obsessed with checking it.
Im off to the shops tomorrow to buy a cool pad. xxx
shiny!
retired moderator
#17 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:08 PM
Well at this point I'm running out of ideas. I would recommend getting rid of Sophos just to see. If it doesn't fix things then you can always put it right back on.

Before you try that you could always make a new user account and try to play the game from there. I'm not sure there would be anything left running extra after you went through msconfig but there may be.

Also, all the extra crap Acer this and that software that they put on could be causing a conflict. You can get rid of all of it through add/remove programs and the only thing I'd keep is the .. oh I dunno what they call it.. power manager? Something to do with battery and performance.. i think it's epower manager.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:21 PM
Many Many Thanks for your help and support, I really do appreciate it.

I have already tried creating a new user account and it made no difference.

Ill try taking Sophos off and see if it helps, Ill try anything.

I know what you mean about the Acer crud they fill your system with, I mean who on God's green earth uses any of it???

I am seriously considering buying a new laptop. Sounds drastic I know, but, well, ya can never have too many I say...LOL.
Actually I'm very serious about buying a new one.

If my sims 3 doesnt run on that, Im going to tie a heavy chain to it and drop it in the river.

Thankyou Callistra for all your help and patience.

Regards Sharon x
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:55 PM Last edited by red2121sharon : 15th Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: More info
I was just wondering what you thought of this Laptop. Does it tick all the boxes for Sims3 and gaming in general? Hope you don't mind me asking, I really don't want to spend this kind of money to find out later that I got spec wrong.
Im looking at a Toshiba Qosmio F50-12W

Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 Processor with Toshiba Quad Core HD Processor
Memory Size 4 GB MB
Processor speed (2.40Ghz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz)
Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB
Optical Drives DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
Screen Size/Type 15.4" TFT HD + TruBrite
Graphics Card Type Nividia GeForce 9600 GT
Graphics Memory 512MB dedicated,1791MB Turbo MB T

Many Many Thanks again.
shiny!
retired moderator
#20 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:32 AM
You did a great job finding something with good specs but that particular laptop doesn't handle heat as well as some. Heck of a lot better than your Acer, but there are better option, imho. If you would like help choosing a new laptop you should check out the tutorials I wrote up in the computer forum: http://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=563 Especially check out the "Help Upgrading or Building/Buying a New Computer" guide. I've got lots of specific laptop recommendations in there.

Before you completely toss the Acer, you might try reformatting and reinstalling Windows from scratch. I know it's a big pain but less of a pain than having to buy a whole new laptop. Personally, out of suggestions for the Acer, aside from that. Your Acer probably didn't come with an operating system disc so you'd have to have one before you can do that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:37 PM
Hi,
Well I finally bit the bullet and uninstalled Sophos and it made not a jot of difference. I was my last shot really.
Reformatting and reinstalling Windows from scratch would be my next task had I got the disc, but like so many laptop manufacturers the don't give you one.
I reformatted XP on my last system several times without any problems, although its a pain cos of reloading all the drivers etc. But it did clean a messy system.

Even if I had the Vista disc I would feel uncomfortable about it, I dunno, something about vista makes me feel...well...uncomfortable.
I suppose I could locate a disc but to be honest, I have had enough of this laptop now. I'm tired of trying. I have been glued to it since 4th June attempting to find out what is preventing Sims3 from starting and I have had some of the best help around (take a bow Callistra) but to no avail.

A new laptop it will have to be. Ill take a long hard look at the suggestions you gave on the tutorial and make my choice from there.

Just want to thank you once again for all your help and patience

Best Wishes
Sharon