Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night
Sims 3 .Package Files not being read
I am trying to get the pixel shader to stop covering up my sims. I have read the Wiki How To tutorial so many times I think I have it memorized

I installed the Resource.cfg (overwriting the one that installs with the game), but when i did that, the sims 3 launcher would open up, I would hit the play button, and then it would show up with a black screen like it was going to load, but then it would just close out. I had saved a copy of the original Resource.cfg file so I just replaced the downloaded one with the original and my game loads now. But I still cannot get the downloaded .package files I have to work.

Any Suggestions? THANKS!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:50 PM
You -don't- overwrite any existing Resource.cfg. You're putting it in the wrong place. The downloaded one goes in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ - not in any folders under that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
I've done it that way as well. still nothing changes.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:12 PM
Where are you putting the .package files?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:39 PM
I am putting those files into the Program Files> Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Mods > Packages.

Do you think if I put the .packages in the my documents > EA > The Sims 3 > Downloads would that work? cause there are other files in there that i've downlaoded, only they aren't .package files, they are the sims 3 custom content files.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:27 PM
No - it won't work there. The only other thing I can think of this - are you sure you're looking in the right place?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:32 PM
Yes I am sure.. I really don't understand why I would be having this issue. :\
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:11 PM
Default TS3 Install Helper Monkey
You may want to try the featured download Install Helper Monkey. Also make sure the items you are installing, the install directions are for Program Files> Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Mods > Packages and no other special install instructions.

I did the resource.cfg file version originally and set up the mods/packages folders and had no problems downloading. Then the installer came out and made my life happy and easier (since I am a download addict). It even gives you the choice to select multiple files to install and you can right-click to choose which sub-folder to install to. Though I tried adding additional subfolders as I like to uber organize, and it doesn't show up when you right-click, so I decided I'll just go with the helper's presets only.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:13 PM
And...the original resource.cfg files didn't allow for subfoldering. The one with the Monkey does. You aren't trying to subfolder under packages without the right resource.cfg file, are you? That could be one reason why the content is not showing up.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:32 PM
Okay, I am going to try it with the monkey installer and jus delete my sub folders that i had created. My only other question is, what about the shaders file (to remove the pixel cover-up)? the extension on that file is .precomp.. can i use the monkey installer to install it as well? thank you!

Location of Resource.cfg - I've also uploaded the location of my resource.cfg file to make sure its right.
thanks all.
Screenshots
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:53 PM
Yes..that's the correct location.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:54 PM
Okay I have tried using the monkey installer helper, but when I right click on my .package files, it says 'could not find a valid directory to install to!'

Do I have to create the folders myself?

This is seriously the biggest issue I've ever had with any sims game/custom content.. (and I, myself, am also a download addict).. its like having withdrawals.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:55 PM
You need a mods folder. I didn't see one in the directory.

Mods>packages

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:56 PM
I suggest you use the new pixel remover by Rick, it's much simpler.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:58 PM
Okay I created the folders and have installed the No Mosaic. I'm going to run the game and see if it works.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:00 PM
Are you on Vista 64 by chance? If so, you have to extract the files elsewhere and then cut and paste them in that folder. Also, turn off the UAC if you are using Vista 64.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:02 PM
Yes this is a new HP Laptop, its says its a 64-bit OS. and whats UAC? (sorry i can be slow at times lol)

When I play Sims 3 I go into classic mode in themes so it turns off all the extra flashy shenanigans from Vista.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#18 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:05 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344611 Erm...it's all spelled out in the installation instructions.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:08 PM
Okay.. GREAT NEWS! woo hoo!
the pixel remover by Rick works :D
so now i guess whenever i have custom .package files they will just go into that same folder and work like the pixel remover has. yayayayayay!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! i swear i'd still be lost without you guys. thanks a million :]
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#20 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:21 PM
Great! Glad to see you got it working.

Locked thread | Locked by: Canoodle Reason: Fixed