Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

University, Nightlife, Pets, Free Time
Default What does it mean if the neighborhood's terrain turns black or changes color?
First off, I know for a fact this is a glitch. I just don't know how serious it is. Every so often the neighborhood's terrain turns black, but everything else is not changed. If I am on a lot occasionally the terrain changes too, but it does NOT turn black. It either is covered in triangular black smudge-like things all pointed towards the street of the lot repeated in a pattern, but shows the terrain underneath it, or it is covered with different colored squares, mostly greens and purples. I have never seen the sims or objects glitching in the game so far. Just the terrain. It doesn't last forever and switches back to normal. Every time I tried to take a screenshot it would turn back to normal. I haven't checked if it actually appeared in the screenshot. Once I do, I would need to know where to post the image for it to appear on this thread. I've noticed both photobucket and Imgur have not shown images properly on this site.

Here's the thing that may or may not be important. I don't know if it is my computer that is doing this or the game itself. I believe it is my computer, which is an Acer Aspire, but I could be wrong. All I know is that I do not think it is caused by the custom content. If I remember right it happened before I downloaded any, but I still could be wrong. I want to know if this glitch is serious, or if it'll just stay there and just be annoying. I never had this problem with my old game, but it was installed on an entirely different computer.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:23 PM
Are you playing on a laptop? Cos i do and the same thing happens to be occasionally, and thats because laptop grapic cards are not good enough to handle the games graphics. I believe this may be your problem, update your graphic card to solve it

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:31 PM
Is Pets your latest expansion? Did you get the patch for pets?

Pets is just a horrible expansion. It caused all sorts of problems in my hoods including the things you describe.
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:36 PM
Stuff like this is graphics issues. Specifically, it's a cry of pain from graphics that are inadequate for handling the game's graphics, at the very least inadequate for the settings as you have them set up. If you continue to play, the graphics chip in your laptop could be damaged. Keep playing after that and your computer's motherboard may be permanently and irreparably damaged, thus hosing your computer. See this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Instructor
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:47 PM
At least this makes a little bit more sense than a similar problem I used to have. When I had TS2 installed on my old laptop the terrain would constantly be replaced with random hair and skin textures for a few seconds. That was really weird. o.O

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 1:57 AM Last edited by ileeeen : 23rd Jul 2012 at 2:09 AM.
I have an Acer Aspire and have no problems with The Sims... however, I have more recent expansion packs. I have seen weird color problems when playing an old game, like Diablo 2. The solution in that case was to play in compatibility mode (in that game, it required Windows 98 IIRC). Older versions of Sims 2 may not be well supported by Windows 7, which is pretty different from XP. Have you tried playing in compatibility mode for Windows XP, found under "properties" if you right click the exe?

ETA: Someone mentioned Pets. If this is the latest expansion you have, it came out just before Windows Vista was released, so it was likely only developed for Windows 98-XP.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 9:26 PM
I'd say it's your graphic card. If it's a laptop, it's probably since laptops are known to have a few troubles with 2.
I saw someone mention Pets as well. Pets has been known around here to cause.. bugs. Plain and simple bugs.
Theorist
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 9:32 PM
Like everybody else says, sounds like your graphics card. This happened to me way back after I first installed Seasons and my computer was too crappy to handle it. The game had been fine up until that point but obviously Seasons was just too much for it to take! Luckily the computer was pretty old and it was kind of time to get a new one anyway.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 11:51 PM
The same thing happens to me. D: My laptop's integrated graphics aren't good enough to support the game. I didn't know it could damage the graphics chip, though...

|| Tumblr ||
Instructor
#10 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 3:19 PM
This happened to me. The water in my neighborhood was completely black. It's a graphics issue. I got a guy in to help me and he suggested I get a graphics card (yeah, I didn't have one!!). Well..I got one and the problem is fixed.
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 9:43 PM Last edited by vertigoinyellow : 24th Jul 2012 at 9:55 PM.
It's your graphics. I had a similar problem until I got a cooling pad. It's rare now, but if it ever does happen I immediately shut down the game and give my computer some time.

ETA: Also consider sims 3. It runs very smoothly on my laptop although my sims don't look as pretty as I'd like.
#12 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 4:01 PM
I have this issue too, but I don't mind. It doesn't affect gameplay and goes away when I film/take snapshots.
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 4:16 AM
Okay, I lied(not on purpose, of course). I wanted to come back to give a warning. Even though I was careful and it stopped happening, my laptop still died. I can't say for sure that my simming was the reason but I do think it's pretty likely. I played maybe 2 or 3 times a week(so not much compared to some other simmers here) and my laptop is less than a year old.

I would suggest ceasing to play on any computer that does this, even if you are being careful about it. Not worth it. I'm buying an Ipad(w/ a bluetooth keyboard for schoolwork) next so I'm not tempted to play. Unfortunately(or perhaps it is fortunate), at the moment, I can't afford anything that would allow me to play.
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 7:30 PM
Yeah, this happened to me too, I've just decided I'm not going to continue until I get a gaming laptop. Does anyone know whether I'd be alright playing other games if I left the sims alone? Thanks in advance!
Scholar
#16 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 7:35 PM
wait why has a thread from 2012 been resurrected?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 8:51 PM
Emerald, I think it's been resurrected because Animecyupcyake is a brand new member, who only joined today, and he doesn't yet fully understand the rules on reviving old threads. (After 5 years here, I don't think I fully understand them either!) @Animecyupcyake , welcome to MTS, but are you sure you've posted in the right forum? This is the Sims 2 forum, but you profile says you only have Sims 3. Whichever game you have, I'm pretty sure it's a graphics issue as most of the posters in this old thread said. If you do have Sims 2, you could try playing on lower resolution settings. Myself I play on a netbook, so I always play with low resolution graphics. In the Sims 2 UI, it's under Options / Graphics/Performance Options. There's probably something similar in The Sims 3.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 8:57 PM
Whether it's okay to play other games on that laptop will partly depend on the other games. You'll have to research each one separately. But all of the sims games are necessarily pretty graphics-heavy compared to most other games, because of their sandbox nature and the popularity of high-resolution custom content.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 27th Dec 2017 at 9:28 PM
Moving to help and closing. @Animecyupcyake please don't resurrect 6 year old threads, make your own.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Locked thread | Locked by: joandsarah77 Reason: old thread