Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 1:18 AM Last edited by justJones : 6th May 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Default Making better use of the unpackedmod folder
I guess everyone on this forum (or at least those that read the custom content post in the official forums ) now knows about adding a line with:

Code:
DirectoryFiles unpackedmod autoupdate

to the Resource.cfg file in the mods folder in order to load unpacked resources. But using it like that would be a mess for working with more than one unpacked mod at a time.

I've found two tricks, though, that ought to bring some sanity to working with unpacked mods.

First, just like when using packed mods, it's possible to use subfolders with unpacked mods. I've changed that line in my file to:

Code:
DirectoryFiles unpackedmod\* autoupdate

And it works as expected, loading unpacked mods from subfolders inside the unpackedmod folder. I didn't test, but I expect one can add extra levels, as usual in the resource.cfg file.

The second trick is how to use actual file extensions instead of a hex representation of a 4-bytes hash; it's possible to tell the game to translate from the used extensions to the expected hash by adding lines like:

Code:
FileType 0x220557da stbl

to the resource.cfg file.

With the above two tricks I've got two small mods, the example one from Maxis and a small tweak to the Jog interaction, working correctly, with file extensions a bit more human friendly.

For reference, my current resource.cfg is:

Code:
Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile *\*.package
DirectoryFiles unpackedmod\* autoupdate
FileType 0x220557da stbl
FileType 0x6017e896 buff
FileType 0xe882d22f interaction
FileType 0x0c772e27 action
FileType 0xb61de6b4 object
FileType 0xcb5fddc7 trait
FileType 0x545ac67a data
FileType 0x319e4f1d catdata
FileType 0xc0db5ae7 objdata
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 11:27 AM
Can you send me a link on where the tutorial about this Resource.CFG ???
I'm noob just need some clear instructions
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justin_15

Resource.cfg is a text file found in your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods folder.

Just open it with Notepad (or any other editor that won't add formatting). Notepad's a program included with all versions of Windows. You can find it by typing "Notepad" in the Start Menu (Win 7 or later), or in "Accessories" (earlier versions).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justin_15

This is only useful if you want to use extracted (i.e., not in .package format) mods. Since no one distributes unpackaged mods, you will likely only have some use for this if you are developing mods. If that is the case, ask any specific question about what I posted above and I will try to answer. Though, for the record, I did link the "tutorial" provided officially by Maxis, and the rest of the info I gleamed from looking at other Resource.cfg files included in the game's installed folder.

If you just want to use XML tuning mods distributed by other people you don't need what I posted above. Just follow the instructions on the second post of the official Maxis thread I linked above, ignoring the part about extracting the files from the mod; to run XML tuning mods you just need the change in the Resource.cfg and the empty directory, due to some bug with modding support in Sims 4.