Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 9:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game Randomly Crashing (No Pattern)
Lately my game has started to just crash randomly. I haven't installed anything new in quite awhile, and I have yet to see a pattern between when it crashes, sometimes I can play for an hour or two and sometimes it will crash after 5 minutes. Sometimes in CAS, sometimes in build mode, sometimes in live. I don't even know where to start trying to fix it.
The latest time it crashed I was in a blank world in CAS creating some townies and it gave me this exception log

I'm going to start working on testing my CC but since my computer takes forever to load the game that may take awhile, so i figure I'll post this here in the meantime and see if theres another possible solution
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 10:57 PM
1a: Do you have a lot of CC? The "forever to load" issue may suggest you have a bit too much.
1b: Do you have a lot of hairs from creators like Newsea, Peggy, or anyone else who make very high poly hairs?
1c: Do you know if you have a lot of high-poly items or CC with large textures?
2: When your game crashes, are you playing on big lots with a bunch of CC, or tiny lots with little to no CC?
3: Does the game crash in a particular spot, like while browsing CAS items (clothes, hairs, etc.) or build/buy items? If you don't know, take note of where it crashes. There may be a pattern even if you don't see it yet.
4: Does the game crash when doing something specific?
5: Do you have a lot of sims on the lots?
6: Have you tested the game without CC (keep any essentials in, like mods that may cause corruption if removed)?
7: Have you experienced any graphic errors?
8: Check the Doc/TS2/Thumbnails folder. Are the files large? If you've removed and added CC a lot without doing anything to them, they may be getting too big.
9: Have you tried deleting the cache files?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
1a: Do you have a lot of CC? The "forever to load" issue may suggest you have a bit too much.
8: Check the Doc/TS2/Thumbnails folder. Are the files large? If you've removed and added CC a lot without doing anything to them, they may be getting too big.

Not OP, but can you explain this one, please?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 11:34 PM
The Thumbnail folder (C:\Users\...Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails) has 5 files in it, and they save thumbnails for all ingame items you've viewed for faster loading. They work much like the Cache files, and are safe to delete (but you may experience slower loading of CC ingame after). If you move around CC, taking in and out, the thumbnail files will occasionally get too large since they also save thumbs for removed CC, and this may occasionally cause crashes or other issues ingame. It's not a frequent problem, though. You may want to consider deleting the files if they start going up in 50-100+ MB.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 1:03 AM
1b: Do you have a lot of hairs from creators like Newsea, Peggy, or anyone else who make very high poly hairs?
1c: Do you know if you have a lot of high-poly items or CC with large textures?
2: When your game crashes, are you playing on big lots with a bunch of CC, or tiny lots with little to no CC?
3: Does the game crash in a particular spot, like while browsing CAS items (clothes, hairs, etc.) or build/buy items? If you don't know, take note of where it crashes. There may be a pattern even if you don't see it yet.
4: Does the game crash when doing something specific?
5: Do you have a lot of sims on the lots?
6: Have you tested the game without CC (keep any essentials in, like mods that may cause corruption if removed)?
7: Have you experienced any graphic errors?
9: Have you tried deleting the cache files?

1: I have the same amount of CC I've had for awhile, and it never used to crash before, though I'm going to try doing another CC purge just in case. It's always taken forever to load though even when I have less CC, my computer just sucks at loading anything
2: Another one where its varied, its crashed on empty lots where I've hardly done any building
3&4: Everytime its crashed I was doing something different, sometimes making sims over in the mirror, sometimes planning outfits, sometimes just playing the game
5: No most of my families are just 1 or 2 sims and they dont get a lot of visitors
6: I'm going to try that next
7: Nope
8: The total size of all the files in the Thumbnails folder is 239 MB
9: I delete the cache files everytime before I start the game
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 1:11 AM
Try turning down your settings, especially shadows.

What are your computer specs?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 2:44 AM
The Thumbnail folder (C:\Users\...Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails) has 5 files in it, and they save thumbnails for all ingame items you've viewed for faster loading. They work much like the Cache files, and are safe to delete (but you may experience slower loading of CC ingame after). If you move around CC, taking in and out, the thumbnail files will occasionally get too large since they also save thumbs for removed CC, and this may occasionally cause crashes or other issues ingame. It's not a frequent problem, though. You may want to consider deleting the files if they start going up in 50-100+ MB.

Thank you, Simmer22. I'll try deleting mine as some are close to 200 MB. Never thought to do that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Try turning down your settings, especially shadows.

What are your computer specs?