Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 2:43 AM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 13th Aug 2017 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Narrowing the topic...
Default Has anyone ever heard of CORN brand of GeForce video cards?
TQ for the harddrive advice ~ now I need to replace my GPU too!
I had a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1Gb that I really liked (it lasted 3 1/2 years) Apparently it died when my hard drive did

To recap from my last cry for
Hi and thanks for helping my tech-feeble brain

In 2008, I bought a new 'gaming' rig PC from CyberPower (I was lucky, but I won't do that again!) It has served me well for almost 10 years.
I use 2 OSes:
- Windows Vista/without internet for TS2 (and related programs) - installed on my internal HD
- Linux Mint/Cinnamon for business and internet stuffeths - installed on an external "MyBook" HD

A couple of weeks ago (a month now... ) my Vista side crashed (while building my Performing Arts theme lot ) and could not be restarted...

Several of yous guys chimed in to help me decide on a new harddrive - which is now installed and working wonderfully. Thanksies!!!
No sooner did I install my new HD when my graphics card quit - it was the above mentioned Nvidia GeForce GTX 650.
I am now using an old card of mine - one of the original SLI'd cards that came with my PC back in 2008. It's an XFX GeForce 8600GT. I've got it set up as a single card, and it works, BUT, I'm getting a lot of tearing and stuttering, and NetFlix is blurry... this card just isn't up to it. *sigh*

So, I did a google search to find a replacement Nvidia GeForce GTX 650. YIKES!!! I'm not paying $400+ Oi!
But, I did find this one at NewEgg - CORN - what is CORN? Is it an acceptable brand? or should I suffer with my old card while I save up enough money?

Again - thanks for thinking with me.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 5:50 AM
I haven't played The Sims 2 for a VERY long time, so I don't really know how well modern cards work with the game. Maybe someone else can help you out.

What I can tell you is that if you're looking for something that's about the same as your old GTX 660 (or better) in terms of power, you should look at the GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti.

Brands I recommend are Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI.

Don't forget to verify that your motherboard is compatible and make sure you check that your PSU is in good condition (if it's older than six years I suggest replacing it) and can provide enough power (if it can power a GTX 960 it *should* be able to power a GTX 1050).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:59 AM
Thanks @ajaxsirius!

My PSU is fine (I think) it is 750 watts and I've got a zillion fans in the case...

I don't really need help "choosing" a card - I've read most of the tutorials, and I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for... I only play TS2 and Dragon Age (so, I don't need the newest super card)

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of "CORN" as a brand of GPUs? And, is it worth the lower price - or should I hold out 'til I've saved some money.

Thanks (again) for the suggestions!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Scholar
#4 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Thanks @ajaxsirius!

My PSU is fine (I think) it is 750 watts and I've got a zillion fans in the case...

I don't really need help "choosing" a card - I've read most of the tutorials, and I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for... I only play TS2 and Dragon Age (so, I don't need the newest super card)

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of "CORN" as a brand of GPUs? And, is it worth the lower price - or should I hold out 'til I've saved some money.

Thanks (again) for the suggestions!

Never heard of CORN brand. I wouldn't risk it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 5:46 PM
*sigh* OK. That's what I was afraid of... I'll wait.

...unless someone else has a positive experience with CORN to report?

The link to the GPU I'm talking about: Newegg - CORN GFX650
Thanks

and Vintage Stuffeths
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:19 PM
Even if one person does show up with one positive experience of a CORN GPU, it's not worth it. They're not a reputable brand - there are no professional reviews of their products. We have no idea of the quality or reliability of their hardware or what their customer service is like.

You could buy a CORN 650 that's already unsupported for $50, and run a good risk of having to replace it in six months because it's a cheap and cheery brand - or you could buy a Gigabyte 1050, which is current technology with good support from a reliable brand, for $120, and be as confident as it's possible to be that that card will last you another five years. If you wind up building or buying a new computer in that time, you can easily move the 1050 over from your current one and save on the new machine in the process.

I know that's easy for me to say and you may well not have $120 lying around - but going for off-brand PC components really is a false economy, not least because a dodgy component can damage other components when it fails (it doesn't happen often, but you really don't want to risk it on a tight budget!).

A few other fairly cheap graphics cards that will do what you need:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGB6LK/?tag=pcpapi-20 (This is the same graphics card as above but shipping might be cheaper from Amazon, especially if you have Amazon Prime or something)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ID=3938566&SID=
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ID=3938566&SID=

The other thing to check before you buy anything is what type of connector your monitor has - it'll probably be either DVI or HDMI. Take a look at this chart to work it out, because you'll need to make sure your new graphics card has that kind of connector, or comes with a suitable adaptor. If the connector on your monitor isn't one of the ones in that image, it's probably DisplayPort.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:45 PM
OK. Thank you for weighing in Nysha That's what I wanted to hear: "They're not a reputable brand - there are no professional reviews of their products. We have no idea of the quality or reliability of their hardware or what their customer service is like." (Well, I didn't really want to hear that, but that's what I needed.)

I'ma gonna wait a few months (hopefully my old 8600GT will limp along long enough!) until I have enough money to buy a decent card in the $120 - 150 range.
Thanks!

and Vintage Stuffeths