Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
There is absolutely a reason they can't enhance the formula. The reason is this is Sims 4.

Reinventing the wheel*
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 8:28 PM
Yeah, you're right. They're very insistent on reinventing the wheel when no such thing is necessary.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 10:00 PM
They need to set a frequency for each type of weather and where. Ex: It wouldn't snow or rain in Oasis Springs much. In ts3, it hailed all the time so I actually just turned hail off. Maybe it could hail but not as much.
Travel could be restricted by weather. Heavy snow would disable travel, Heavy fog or rain would cause a tense moodlet from traffic, unless you live in San Myshuno.
If you went outside in the rain, you would get an uncomfortable moodlet. In ts3, you had to spend a long time outside to get wet. And maybe they could come inside dripping for a realistic effect.
Kids would get a happy/playful moodlet from snow days, unless they want to be an academic achiever.
Maybe vampires are less likely to burn in the colder seasons?
Heavy rain or wind could cause a power outage.
And they REALLY need to bring back the seasonal festivals at the main park in that world. Seasons was the first EP I got in ts3 and it never got old.

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Theorist
#79 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heartkinz17
They need to set a frequency for each type of weather and where. Ex: It wouldn't snow or rain in Oasis Springs much. In ts3, it hailed all the time so I actually just turned hail off. Maybe it could hail but not as much.
Travel could be restricted by weather. Heavy snow would disable travel, Heavy fog or rain would cause a tense moodlet from traffic, unless you live in San Myshuno.
If you went outside in the rain, you would get an uncomfortable moodlet. In ts3, you had to spend a long time outside to get wet. And maybe they could come inside dripping for a realistic effect.
Kids would get a happy/playful moodlet from snow days, unless they want to be an academic achiever.
Maybe vampires are less likely to burn in the colder seasons?
Heavy rain or wind could cause a power outage.
And they REALLY need to bring back the seasonal festivals at the main park in that world. Seasons was the first EP I got in ts3 and it never got old.

these are all fantastic ideas, but let's face it. This is WAY too ambitious for TS4. In order to not be disappointed we have to hope for the bare minimum above absolutely nothing. and even then they struggle to meet those expectations :\
Scholar
#80 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 12:44 AM
Yeah, I have *loads* of suggestions for another iteration of Seasons, but I disregard The Sims 4 when making these suggestions because not only do I not play it, but also because it is not a detailed-orientated game at all. and I definitely expect things to become more simplified, instead of moving the direction I want.

Here are just a few examples:

-Wind should become a bigger factor both visually and in gameplay. The eternally shaking leaves on the trees in The Sims 3 speeding up to indicate wind in The Sims 3 did not impress me much, to be blunt. When there is a wind storm, wind blows the branches around, not just the leaves. So wind should blow around the branches in addition to the leaves.

When there is a blizzard or thunderstorm with wind, the snow and rain should be visibly blown around and especially sideways.

Severe wind storms could cause branches to fall. (I know some people might find this annoying, I'm sure it could be modded out for them, I just want to see that, because right now - aside from lightning, there isn't much threat with thunderstorms, and that's silly).

Puddles should pond properly. I like they tried to make puddles more variable in The Sims 3, but when you see ditches without puddles and then see sloped areas with puddles also being sloped it's a bit silly.

When it rains, the windows should get rain water running down on them.

When it rains the terrain outdoors should get a wet, somewhat reflective look. Like in Breath of the Wild (I'm sure BoTW is farrr from the only game to do this, but I don't play many games, so forgive me lol)

More types of precipitation! Freezing rain and sleet. I understand some people might think this is overkill, but winter is NOT all snow in real life. Maybe in some locations it is more, but where I live, we get more freezing rain and sleet. I probably want sleet just because I love the sound of it hitting the ground. It makes me happy. =P But when it comes to freezing rain, it could have some big gameplay effects - Icy surfaces, causing Sims to slip. Beautifully glazed trees, which could cause branches to fall like in wind storms.

To be honest, winters being 100% snow actually kind of bothers me. It makes winter very uniform. I mean The Sims 3 is by default set to snow you out the entire winter. I know some locations deal with that kind of snow, but not all do.

Like heartkinz17 brought up - power outages. Power outages could happen with thunderstorms, blizzards, and freezing rain. Or just in general. I'm actually surprised this feature has never appeared in The Sims. Perhaps it's because it risks happening too often with The Sims' weird time scales.

And, of course, PROPER treatment of all kinds of plants through the seasons. The one thing I've ranted about so many times. There are evergreens, there are plants that flower through the winter... But in The Sims 2 and 3, bushes and shrubs not only do not lose their leaves (whereas many do), they don't even lose their flowers.

Also for goodness's sake, some trees and plants should bloom specifically for Spring before going to leaves for late Spring and Summer. This one really gets on my nerves because for advertising The Sims 3 Seasons, EA really went all-out in advertising blooming trees and everything for Spring. But all they did was stick Cherry blossom trees in those screenshots. Meaning they KNEW that there are trees that should bloom for Spring, but they didn't program it.

(Although I do have to note that the Bosky Beech Tree from Into The Future grows its flowers before the leaves in the Spring, giving the illusion of a blooming tree. I discovered this a couple of months ago and was blown away. lol. But it is the only case, and it flowers all year, so...)

I think I should stop there! Obviously this is not going to happen for The Sims 4. The Sims 4 players would lucky if the gradual Seasons of The Sims 3 even carries over.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#81 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
I think I should stop there! Obviously this is not going to happen for The Sims 4. The Sims 4 players would lucky if the gradual Seasons of The Sims 3 even carries over.

This is why I don't spend time on wish lists for this game. As you have said 99% of the things folks post will never happen. You are totally right.
Theorist
#82 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 1:46 AM
You know what I really wish for? EA and Maxis revisit make improvements to TS3

1. renovate old game engine into optimized engine with improved performance, frames and graphics, uses same assets
2. consolidate all dlc and provide checks to disable them individually
3. improve AI, story mode and population on lots
4. campaign to begin adding more content

Idk enough about programming if this would be possible or involve magic sacrifice, but I would love TS3 2.0
Mad Poster
#83 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka

1. renovate old game engine into optimized engine with improved performance, frames and graphics, uses same assets

Idk enough about programming if this would be possible or involve magic sacrifice, but I would love TS3 2.0

If all we have with 3 would no longer work I would not be interested. But if they would totally upgrade/improve 3 as 5 I would be totally interested in that.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 2:51 AM
The new "player-choice" stuff pack coming may be potential... There were some polls on the official sims website but that's all. I hope we can send in suggestions in the future.

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Theorist
#85 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heartkinz17
The new "player-choice" stuff pack coming may be potential... There were some polls on the official sims website but that's all. I hope we can send in suggestions in the future.

:\ giving the players choice needs to be relegated to a stuff pack now. hahaha *nervous laughter*
Mad Poster
#86 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 10:02 AM

This. There's nothing I want more than this. Possibly in the entire world.
But it won't happen.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#87 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 2:39 PM
It's a pretty a shame that we more enthuastic with the franchise than the gurus/developers themselves. I feel like the ideas on the feedback section is just a pretty much a big bin that's labeled "looking for ideas" with a hole on the locked lid for people to drop in their written suggestions, but in reality inside of the bin its actually garbage that is soon to be disposed away for good. One of the reasons why I wanna start and get into modding, because I at least I could make changes and put efforts into modifying previous versions (mainly TS2) so I can bring ideas for players asked for ages.
Instructor
#88 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 4:39 PM

EA never goes back and fixes their old games...they just make re-makes.

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Test Subject
#89 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 8:41 PM
What I'd like to see is the option to use the language you prefer so that you can actually hear and understand what they are saying. Sure the game is fun as is and funny with that Simlish language, but I'd seriously love to hear a Sim say "Man I'm hungry" or "Ewe, I stink", and better yet to tell their loved ones "I love you."
Theorist
#90 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JacqueD
What I'd like to see is the option to use the language you prefer so that you can actually hear and understand what they are saying. Sure the game is fun as is and funny with that Simlish language, but I'd seriously love to hear a Sim say "Man I'm hungry" or "Ewe, I stink", and better yet to tell their loved ones "I love you."

Do you know how much time and money it would cost to hire people to record a full set of dialogue in multiple languages for different regions?
Not to mention they would have to write and record multiple jokes and full conversations in each different voice that would get boring to hear over and over again on repeat after playing the game for weeks on end.

I understand where you're coming form, but I'mma take a rare opportunity to defend the Devs on this one and say it's just not feasible.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
Yeah, I have *loads* of suggestions for another iteration of Seasons, but I disregard The Sims 4 when making these suggestions because not only do I not play it, but also because it is not a detailed-orientated game at all. and I definitely expect things to become more simplified, instead of moving the direction I want.

Here are just a few examples:

-Wind should become a bigger factor both visually and in gameplay. The eternally shaking leaves on the trees in The Sims 3 speeding up to indicate wind in The Sims 3 did not impress me much, to be blunt. When there is a wind storm, wind blows the branches around, not just the leaves. So wind should blow around the branches in addition to the leaves.

When there is a blizzard or thunderstorm with wind, the snow and rain should be visibly blown around and especially sideways.

Severe wind storms could cause branches to fall. (I know some people might find this annoying, I'm sure it could be modded out for them, I just want to see that, because right now - aside from lightning, there isn't much threat with thunderstorms, and that's silly).

Puddles should pond properly. I like they tried to make puddles more variable in The Sims 3, but when you see ditches without puddles and then see sloped areas with puddles also being sloped it's a bit silly.

When it rains, the windows should get rain water running down on them.

When it rains the terrain outdoors should get a wet, somewhat reflective look. Like in Breath of the Wild (I'm sure BoTW is farrr from the only game to do this, but I don't play many games, so forgive me lol)

More types of precipitation! Freezing rain and sleet. I understand some people might think this is overkill, but winter is NOT all snow in real life. Maybe in some locations it is more, but where I live, we get more freezing rain and sleet. I probably want sleet just because I love the sound of it hitting the ground. It makes me happy. =P But when it comes to freezing rain, it could have some big gameplay effects - Icy surfaces, causing Sims to slip. Beautifully glazed trees, which could cause branches to fall like in wind storms.

To be honest, winters being 100% snow actually kind of bothers me. It makes winter very uniform. I mean The Sims 3 is by default set to snow you out the entire winter. I know some locations deal with that kind of snow, but not all do.

Like heartkinz17 brought up - power outages. Power outages could happen with thunderstorms, blizzards, and freezing rain. Or just in general. I'm actually surprised this feature has never appeared in The Sims. Perhaps it's because it risks happening too often with The Sims' weird time scales.

And, of course, PROPER treatment of all kinds of plants through the seasons. The one thing I've ranted about so many times. There are evergreens, there are plants that flower through the winter... But in The Sims 2 and 3, bushes and shrubs not only do not lose their leaves (whereas many do), they don't even lose their flowers.

Also for goodness's sake, some trees and plants should bloom specifically for Spring before going to leaves for late Spring and Summer. This one really gets on my nerves because for advertising The Sims 3 Seasons, EA really went all-out in advertising blooming trees and everything for Spring. But all they did was stick Cherry blossom trees in those screenshots. Meaning they KNEW that there are trees that should bloom for Spring, but they didn't program it.

(Although I do have to note that the Bosky Beech Tree from Into The Future grows its flowers before the leaves in the Spring, giving the illusion of a blooming tree. I discovered this a couple of months ago and was blown away. lol. But it is the only case, and it flowers all year, so...)

I certainly don't expect all of these ideas to come to fruition, but for Sims 4, power outages are certainly a possibility - they already occur if your sim doesn't pay the bills.

I wouldn't want branches dropping: they would cause routing issues. Besides, what happens when a branch drops on a rooftop? Branches swaying however, would be a plus.

I think from a programming standpoint, it would be difficult to reprogram objects that are already in the game, but new objects would have new possibilities: new kinds of trees could have seasonally changing leaves (or in winter, no leaves). All the evergreens in the game of course would just stay as they are, except I would like to see snow on trees and bushes. That would definitely require reprogramming existing objects though, and the more existing objects need to be reprogrammed or reanimated, the less new objects and features we would get.

Paying programmers and animators costs money, and although game sales bring in money, game sales plus store sales brought in more money for Sims 3, which is why I think we got more for Sims 3 than we have for Sims 4: the Sims 3 store paid for the extras players took for granted as well as providing more content options. At first I resisted the Sims 3 store, and didn't buy anything from it - except freebies, but the last year that the Sims 3 was in development, I started collecting store items, and between the release of Sims 3 and Sims 4 collected a whole lot of store items. I think the biggest problem with Sims 4 is that not only did they end up behind schedule in development due to changing the game from online to offline, but a large portion of profits that the Sims series brought in went to other projects rather than going to Sims 4. Unfortunately, the head of EA was into sports games rather than simulation games, and before that, the previous CEO was pushing online everything....so money and talent went to those kinds of projects. I wouldn't mind a DLC store for Sims 5 IF and only if the profits went back into only creating DLC for the store and into improving Sims 5 and Sims 6. Maybe they could even sell character animations, such as dance moves, and individual animated objects, or objects with new character interaction animations tied to them.
Instructor
#92 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 9:46 PM
Developer Resources...
Do you know how much time and money it would cost to hire people to record a full set of dialogue in multiple languages for different regions?
Not to mention they would have to write and record multiple jokes and full conversations in each different voice that would get boring to hear over and over again on repeat after playing the game for weeks on end.

I understand where you're coming form, but I'mma take a rare opportunity to defend the Devs on this one and say it's just not feasible.

Agreed. That'd be a waste of development resources that would be better if it went to the core game design, animations, more objects, more features, or better maps or something. For example, Fallout 4 spent a lot of resources making the main player character speak and it really added nothing to the game. In fact, it limits player choice and creativity because it locked you into those responses and defined character.
Mad Poster
#93 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 9:57 PM

One of the great things about The Sims is that it doesn't need language to convey Sims emotions, or even their conversations. We all know what they're saying, because we fill it in ourselves. Sims, like actors in theater or film, tell everything you need to know through their facial expressions and animations, and to some degree through their gibberish dialogue.

The only problem being, as someone on the Officials pointed out, that it seems TS4 Sims all went to the William Shatner School of Dramatic Overacting.

insert signature here
Scholar
#94 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsilikesims
I certainly don't expect all of these ideas to come to fruition, but for Sims 4, power outages are certainly a possibility - they already occur if your sim doesn't pay the bills.

Oh? I didn't know that. Interesting.

Quote:
I wouldn't want branches dropping: they would cause routing issues. Besides, what happens when a branch drops on a rooftop?

I don't know, I'm not a programmer. But when I have to spend hundreds of dollars on just one installment of a franchise and wait several years for Seasons, I have expectations for improved detail and realism like this. It's a whole lot of money for me to be paying where they can't figure out how to implement a feature like this.

The Sims has been around for 17 years now, we should be seeing much more advanced features in the series by now. But... we got The Sims 4 instead.

Quote:
I think from a programming standpoint, it would be difficult to reprogram objects that are already in the game, but new objects would have new possibilities: new kinds of trees could have seasonally changing leaves (or in winter, no leaves). All the evergreens in the game of course would just stay as they are, except I would like to see snow on trees and bushes. That would definitely require reprogramming existing objects though, and the more existing objects need to be reprogrammed or reanimated, the less new objects and features we would get.

This has already been done in The Sims 2 and 3. I don't get what you're saying here.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Theorist
#95 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion

Always loved that scene.

Mad Poster
#96 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 7:23 PM

Also, simlish juces upthe player's imagination what discussions do sim conduct with each other. I like interpetting their talks from the thought bubbles they make.
Page 4 of 4