Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#551 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 1:17 AM
Mockingjay Part 2- yet another two-part movie that proves that most finales don't need to be two parts. There was nothing wrong with it, per se, but much like Part 1, it was about twice as long as it really needed to be.

I was right- Netflix's release of Jessica Jones was the thing to actually be excited about on the 20th.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Theorist
#552 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 8:46 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Jan 2022 at 5:59 AM.
Interstellar (2014) - DVD; Sci-Fi
0/10
Thankfully, borrowed from the library, so not a penny wasted. Can't say how often this has happened. How does total garbage like this get an 8.7 rating at IMDb?
My reaction: Kill yourself instead of watching this.
Mad Poster
#553 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 11:34 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2 9/10 Actually, this is the second time I've seen it. The art is so amazing and this time around, since I knew the layout of the story, I was free to appreciate the finer details. There's a lot of beauty in the choreographed fighting scenes. Every push has its pull, every yin its yang.

Alchemist
#554 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 10:05 AM
Bare (2015) - 4/10
The Last Witch Hunter (2015) - 4/10
The Green Inferno (2013) - 5/10
Ricki and the Flash (2015) - 4/10
Gypsy (1962) - 5/10
Pixels (2015) - 5/10

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Instructor
#555 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 12:14 PM
The Lion in Winter

First I will just say this takes a few things for granted that are now hotly debated by historians, but like Shakespeare's best plays that doesn't really matter because the characters and the acting are just so strong. I think this may be Hebern's best and most intense performance and is well worth watching for that alone. There was a pleasant surprise for me in this movie too that went beyond it's amazing production values and script and going into this movie cold(The way I try to approach all films) I had no idea it was coming. Throughout the movie I kept thinking that the guy who played King Philip of France would make a great James Bond and I had no idea why, there was just something about the way he handled himself that made me think that and then I get to the end credits and it turns out not only is he James Bond but he is my favorite James Bond! I can now understand why around this time the producers of the Bond movies wanted him to be the second Bond despite his youth, because even playing a completely different character he nails it.

I don't want to give too much away because even as someone who knew the history half the fun of the this movie was watching the way the writers and director decided to play it out in a dramatic fashion and while I didn't exactly leave this movie feeling depressed I think it may have moved me to tears more times then any other movie I have ever seen. Also it may be the most sexually explict movie I have ever seen and it doesn't even have any sex scenes in it. The way the dialog is used to describe the sex and just how personal it is to all the characters and the way it is used feels more raw to me then even something like Sin City. I may be alone in this but that is how it felt to me and for that reason I wouldn't leave kids alone watching this movie if I were a parent. Still it all serves a purpose so it doesn't feel like it is just there to exploit the lack of a film code the way many films at the time or even today feel so I am okay with it and the movie would lose a lot of it's punch and dramatic thrust without it.

In short it is the exact opposite of Cleopatra, it is focused, I care about all the characters(Even John who is made to look like a mutant freak of nature), I understand why all the characters make the choices they make, and the sets and costumes serve the story instead of it being the other way around.

This is the perfect example of how to make a historic epic that tells it's story so well I don't care about the parts where it breaks with real history. In short it is worthy of Shakespeare and if you have any interest in history, this period of film, or any of the actors involved it should be the next film you view. Just be prepared to tear up in a few places.

In short I find this movie to be pretty much perfect, it's so good I can't even nit pick at the history.

10/10.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#556 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Interstellar (2014) - DVD; Sci-Fi
0/10
Thankfully, borrowed from the library, so not a penny wasted. Can't say how often this has happened. How does total garbage like this get an 8.7 rating at IMDb?
My reaction: Kill yourself instead of watching this.

Agreed. Everyone in my family loved it and I like most of the stuff the Nolans do even being a huge fan of Person of Interest, liking The Dark Knight rises, and thinking Man of Steel was just misunderstood and that it would have been a great way to launch a DC movie universe if they were not jumping right to Batman Vs. Superman for the second movie and they kept Frank Miller well away from it, but they didn't. My point is I am a huge Nolan fan and even I couldn't take all that earth dying for no reason and love being more powerful then time and space BS. This movie wanted to be 2001 and instead it ended up being no better then one of the Transformers movies. I was so looking forward to it and I expected to be the one person out there defending this movie, but after I saw it once I had no interest in ever seeing it again. Everyone has to have one giant bomb in their past, let's hope this is as bad as it gets from either of the Nolans.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#557 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
Boy 7 (2015) 6/10

Its a movie based on the book by Mirjam Mous, set in the near future where the Dutch state controls everything in the country. I guess that comes under dystopia or something? Not really sure. I liked it
Though it was weird watching a Dutch movie with English subtitles, if it was on DVD, I'd have gone for Dutch or French subtitles. Not sure if I'd watch it again, but I'll definitely read the book!
Scholar
#558 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 8:34 PM
Into the West - 4/10. It was okay but I found it kind of boring
Michael Collins - 6/10. Seemed to be well done and I could appreciate the history but again it wasn't something I would've chosen.
The Secret of Roan Inish - 4/10. Again, not something I would've chosen and I found it boring.
Dancing at Lughnasa - 6/10. The best of the ones I had to watch for Irish lit, it was somewhat enjoyable though depressing.
Sons of the Clouds - 3/10. It was a documentary and it was well-made and very informative, but very dull and my friend gave up on watching it halfway through and I gave up on watching it 5/6 of the way through.
(all of the above I had to watch for class)
The Night Before - I feel like it deserves a 6/10 but I want to give it a 10/10 honestly, because I did really enjoy it and it brightened my day and made me laugh a lot. It was really stupid and not an 'amazing' movie, but I just really enjoyed it.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#559 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 4:05 PM
Rifftrax Live Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny - 9/10

Starting off my Xmas season with this classic.
Scholar
#560 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 11:37 PM Last edited by Noa1500 : 5th Dec 2015 at 12:16 AM.
Revenge of The Green Dragons 8/10

A grim movie about immigrant life in Queens, New York (?) during the 1980s. Its really well made, though it does contain some rather brutal scenes, I think it shows that aspect of life really well. The music is really nice too! Also that dude's curly hair

Edit: Omg, I just finished the movie :O Like the ending was expected, yet unexpected you know?

Mad Poster
#561 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 2:54 AM
Krampus - 3/10

Nothing says Xmas like a visit from Krampus.
Theorist
#562 Old 11th Dec 2015 at 5:32 PM
xXx: State of The Union. 2/10. Epic waste of time. Starring Ice Cube. 'nuff said.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#563 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 1:40 AM
Don't Blink--with Brian Austin Greene, Mena Suvari, and Zack Ward. 3-4/10. A little creepy at first, but it began to get ridiculous and there was no real resolution. I don't know if the place itself was cursed or what, it's probably something they wanted the audience to put their own meaning into. Mine was that it has to do with the fear of not being remembered or being important.
Theorist
#564 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 5:36 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 12th Dec 2015 at 6:43 AM.
The Conjuring (2013) - DVD; Horror
8/10
I actually watched this about a year ago, so pretty much all details elude me.
Supposedly based on a true story, a family moves into an old country home and experiences hauntings. They hire paranormal investigators and things get markedly worse. Good quality and quantity of fright scenes. I would recommend this to horror fans.
Instructor
#565 Old 17th Dec 2015 at 6:38 AM
So I watched The Force Awakens...
It's definitely a good movie. I liked the fact that even though there's quite a lot of CGI effects, they don't feel heavy and innatural as in the last three chapters (or perhaps it's just that today's CGI effects look more natural to my eyes).
I actually think they really tried to use as much real-set scenes as they could, even if they could have gotten away more easily with green screens and all that stuff, but I think they made the right choice. I also liked that the cast was very diverse in terms of ethnicity and gender.

I give it 8/10 because I wasn't in the "I've waited 10 years for this" mindset like 95% of the other movie-goers. But it's definitely worth a watch!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#566 Old 19th Dec 2015 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
So I watched The Force Awakens... ...I give it 8/10 because I wasn't in the "I've waited 10 years for this" mindset like 95% of the other movie-goers. But it's definitely worth a watch!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#567 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 2:02 AM
I never understood the appeal of anything related to Star Wars. I was a teenager when the original came out in 1977 and at the time I thought I had seen better TV episodes of Star Trek. I also liked Close Encounters of the Third Kind better, at the time. Hence, I never cared about any of the Star Wars sequels.
It just seems to me that these movies would not appeal to anyone over the age of 12 or 13.
Instructor
#568 Old 23rd Dec 2015 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I never understood the appeal of anything related to Star Wars. I was a teenager when the original came out in 1977 and at the time I thought I had seen better TV episodes of Star Trek. I also liked Close Encounters of the Third Kind better, at the time. Hence, I never cared about any of the Star Wars sequels.
It just seems to me that these movies would not appeal to anyone over the age of 12 or 13.

I think they show a pretty neat depiction of how fantasy and sci-fi themes were perceived in a different time. It's like watching The Twilight Zone episodes for me... This kind of entertainment is so different from what you can find nowadays in movies and tv shows, they are almost exotic in some way.
It's like seeing what people used to be amazed by 30 years ago and if you see it with this mentality it really is indeed amazing. I don't know how to explain this!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Alchemist
#569 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 11:29 AM
The Danish Girl (2015) - 8/10
This film was awesome and I nearly cried,one of the best films I have seen this year.
Carol (2015) - 5/10
This film was not as good as all the hype,i found it pretty boring.
Instructions Not Included (2013) - 7/10
This film is funny and has a plot twist at the end that made me cry.
Gone Girl (2014) - 4/10
This film has a great concept but they missed their chance with some things,but i am reading the book.
We Are Your Friends (2015) - 6/10
This film has some great parts and sad parts.
Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015) - 5/10
this film is sweet and funny,its great to watch with children or big kids.
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 7/10
this film is funny and stupid,sweet just the kind of thing you need.

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Scholar
#570 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 9:33 PM
Kung Fury 8/10

Pretty much short movie that was put up online earlier this year. In brief its a tacky 80s movie that references police and kung fu movies of the time. The soundtrack is pretty...rad (yeah, I used the word). Everything is so exaggerated and ridiculous you can't not love it :lovestruc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fury
Instructor
#571 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 5:45 PM
I watched Kung Fu Panda 1and 2 on Netflix and they are seriously so good!
I admit I was quite biased, but they are great movies with excellent humor and touching messages (not so) hidden throughout the storyline.
I give 7/10 to the first one and 8/10 to the second one. Can't wait for chapter third!

Scholar
#572 Old 29th Dec 2015 at 10:39 AM
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

You're no Mad Max: Fury Road but at least you're not Jurassic World/10. So I guess a 7.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Banned
#573 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 8:15 PM
The Terminal.
Honestlty, its one of my favourite movies. I have no other words, so 10/10.
Scholar
#574 Old 2nd Jan 2016 at 2:38 AM
The Hangover - 5/10. I'd seen it before, a while ago, but I think I liked it more the first time. It just didn't seem as funny to me, but it wasn't truly awful. Just very 'meh.' I also think I saw the censored version before because I do not remember it being that offensive. I wasn't terribly offended myself, but still.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Instructor
#575 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 12:37 AM Last edited by EvilMcNastySim2015 : 3rd Jan 2016 at 12:51 AM.
Default Star Wars 7 Review Spoilers
Star Wars the Force Awakens.

Minor Spoilers....

This film has the two best leads I have seen in an action adventure film since The Lord of the Rings and I ended up not caring if the old characters turned up at all. This just feels like a Star Wars movie, it's the character that are complex, not the plot and that is as it should be. If you read into this what is right now a fan theory I really like this movie. The theory is this, Rey is Luke's daughter, Luke's wife was murdered by Ren after dropping her of on the Jakku to keep her safe, Luke didn't know where she was but he knew that he he fought Ren it would quickly turn into an act of revenge, so he couldn't fight Ren because he had to stay away from that path, so he did what he did in Jedi when he fought Vader, he went into hiding. Now Ray only beat Ren because she used the darkside, she was hitting him in anger the same way Luke hit Vader at the end of Jedi, the way that left him about thirty seconds from going full blown Sith. At the end of the movie his long lost daughter turns up and he can sense the dark side in her so he doesn't want to take the lightsaber and train her but at the same time he has been waiting for someone to come, someone who can stand up to Ren but who doesn't want personal revenge. So in the next movie Luke's job will have to be to train Rey while finding a way to do with her what he was unable to do with Ren, and that is get her to outright reject the path to the dark side and he knows how strong that temptation can be.

If this is the case when you add that depth to the already fun action scenes and two great leads who's future adventures I can't wait to see then you have a truly great blockbuster that washes the awful taste of Jurassic World(a movie I couldn't even finish) out of my mouth 9.0/10.

I have seen this movie twice in theaters using money I was saving to get my 360 fixed, that is how good it is and if you have not seen this movie but you enjoy fun adventure stories, go see it, you will not regret it.

My PC specs.
Page 23 of 38