Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#51 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 8:18 PM Last edited by High Plains Gamer : 11th Sep 2013 at 8:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I fucking love Mayberry, and I think the style has been a consistent thing across the three games, and I'd like to see something similar with TS4. Of course I'd like it to have the capability of lots of architectural styles and themes and stuff because that's how people play, and in TS3, people were ripping all the buildings out of Sunset Valley and rebuilding in their own preferred style pretty quickly. As long as the theme is not -too- outlandish, then one world can be fairly flexible until others are available.

It's not so much that I object to Mayberry, but that it has already been done to death. As you point out, it has been done in the Sims 2 and the Sims 3. EA now wants us to she'll out another $1000 to $2000 to play yet another Sims game set in Mayberry? I'm sorry, but no thank you.

For that type of money, I am expecting EA to take us someplace different and do something new. I am not expecting a regurgitation of the Sims 2 or the sims 3.

As far as lag, etc., this should not be a huge issue if the sims uses a 64 bit system. If it remains 32 bit, then it will be nothing but a warmed over Sims 3. There is no reason to believe that it will be less buggy than the Sims 3. EA's strong suit has never been fixing bugs.

Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Different styles can exist and look good together at the same time (e.g. Wisteria Lane). This is important to me because there has to be a balance between realism and visual appeal.

Actually, if you look at most American towns, there is a variety of different architectural styles. My, town, for example, was founded in the late 1800's, by the railroad, as is the case with most western towns. The downtown core has the oldest buildings, many of which were built at the turn of the century. These tend to be a more Victorian style. As you move away from the core, you see homes built in the 1920s, which tend to be the arts and craft style. Further out, you see homes built in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Further out, you find homes built in the 1970s or later. The newest homes are found well away from the city center, usually outside of city limits.

You will not find a modern home in the downtown area, or a Victorian in one of the new neighbourhoods outside of town.

If you are going to have a realistic town, you have to have a history. You need to know why it was founded and when. You then need to describe its growth. Generally, the best locations get built on first, while the less desire able locations are developed later. This takes some knowledge of architectural styles, and how they have changed over time.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
If you are going to have a realistic town, you have to have a history. You need to know why it was founded and when. You then need to describe its growth. Generally, the best locations get built on first, while the less desire able locations are developed later. This takes some knowledge of architectural styles, and how they have changed over time.

This is what Sunset Valley lacks, IMO. It has different architectural styles, but they are all over the place for no rhyme or reason. There is no sense of organic growth or planning. And even when taken out of context, some of the individual lots just don't look right. They either don't resemble real houses or resemble real ones that make you want to gouge your eyes out.

Wisteria Lane manages to mix different styles while still looking cohesive and attractive. At least, from my perspective.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I want a military town. Kind of like Strangetown, but more. I want a couple of streets of identical cheap houses in the middle of nowhere. And I want English villages. I used to live in one when I was growing up and it was basically ten houses in a row, a Post Office and a pub. I want that in my game.

I would love to have an English village - maybe it's in my chromosomes somehow or maybe it's from watching Masterpiece Theater. I would also like a town in the middle of nowhere - my idea was a town in western or southwestern US.desert - a main street and some streets running off it. I thought about making it myself using CAW but had a lot of problem working with it.

Quote: Originally posted by neon_wild
@RoseCity - I think part of the reason is because they can only use stuff from the base game plus whatever one EP the world belongs to, so the interiors are usually hideous because they're so limited in what they can use. Considering Sunset Valley is the base game town I think they did a fair job of it.

Even if they could only use base game stuff, they could color it better - maybe I'm misremembering but it seems like their favorite color is an unpleasant tan.

Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Real isn't always visually appealing, but even if you're designing a gritty urban hood, it's important to consider the look you're going for instead of simply plopping things down and saying that's how it's done in the real world. The real world also has blood, poop and bald drug dealers who wear jeans and shirts buttoned all the way up.

Sometimes you have to take liberties to make things look nice.

I suppose since the worlds obviously aren't and can't be completely realistic, the smart thing is to have some kind of an in-house style. It could be logical/historical or pretty or gritty. I'm not sure exactly what EA's in-house style is. Get the job done as best you can? I don't want to be too critical because it's not like I can make a world. And I play Sunset Valley all the time.
I just went out to give someone a ride. Driving around my town, I thought 'Original_Sim would probably hate this place.' Center chimney colonials and capes from the 1600s, fancier houses from the 1700s that I'm not sure what they are. Falling apart and shabby or well-kept Greek revivals, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Annes. Colonial revivals, ranches, split levels, cape cods, foursquares sometimes in groups or all jumbled together. McMansions in their own developments. A history of residential architecture in the US.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 6:10 AM
Taken from this thread of a simmer that went to the Builder's Master Class: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...328094.page#top

Quote:
-Neighborhood inspired by Garden District in New Orleans

So what about the other 2 neighborhoods? I thought there was 3 hoods.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#55 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 7:46 AM
I would love a suburban, "boring" world too, but not necessarily the most typical American suburb (well, I don't even know what they're like). Many, many small lots tightly next to each other would be great - the biggest problem with Sims 3 neighbourhoods to me has been the huge/sparsely placed/random sized lots. If I tried to delete them altogether and place new small lots where they used to be, most of the time the game would flat out refuse to place a lot there for no discernible reason (and I never figured out how to use CAW).
Instructor
#56 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 10:11 AM
I'd love to have a town, with the centre being work, shopping malls, rows of shops, restaurants, cafes, art galleries, libraries, etc. with apartments and town houses then further out, some detached and semi-detached houses. I'd prefer some loose cohesion. Middle being a little more similar while the outskirts being more various.

I've lived in a Canadian town until 4 years ago, I could go to a HUGE mall by walking 15 min and now I'm in the middle of nowhere in English countryside, with loads of pubs and pretty much nothing else. We have to drive to get anything. I'd love to see both done if not I'll try to replicate some of it. Doubt they're going to make anything that's not American.

Example of a small English village connected with long roads to a town/city.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 10:31 AM Last edited by Nelita : 12th Sep 2013 at 11:29 AM.
I like the Sims 2 system. You have three environments (if I remember correctly) and you choose the one you prefer. I would like that in Sims 4. However worls or neighbourhoods should be more realistic and less "american way". I like it but this game is played by many other country players so worlds should be more internationalized.

I know that in Sims 3 oficial site store we could find some preaty worlds remembering other countries, but you must pay for them. That is someting I don´t do and I don´t like. We already pay a lot for each game and its respective expansions and sub-expansions. So, EA, I think we deserve a little better.
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nelita
I like the Sims 2 system. You have three environments (if I remember correctly) and you choose the one you prefer. I would like that in Sims 4. However worls or neighbourhoods should be more realistic and less "american way". I like it but this game is played by many other country players so worlds should be more internationalized.

I know that in Sims 3 oficial site store we could find some preaty worlds remembering other countries, but you must pay for them. That is someting I don´t do and I don´t like. We already pay a lot for each game and its respective expansions and sub-expansions. So, EA, I think we deserve a little better.

There were 3 pre-made neighborhoods in Sims 2, and additional ones came with a couple of EPs. But it was always very easy to create your own neighborhood - they included many base neighborhood templates for empty hoods in the base game, and there are many more made by creators here at MTS and elsewhere. (You could make the templates with Sim City 4.) I never played a pre-made neighborhood for more than a couple of days, and spent six happy years with Sims 2.

I would also like the ability to create new worlds, or neighborhoods, or whatever you want to call them - towns? - in Sims 4. Empty or with people already in them. More choices are good. (I'd also love to be able to run a BACC with Sims 4, as I had great fun with them in Sims 2. I have no idea yet if this would even be possible or not.)
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 5:49 PM
I hope in sims 4 we can change families from neighbourhoods to other neighbourhoods and keep relashionships with those who staied and have the possibility to visit each other.
Does not make any sence our family or an idividual sim from a family lost all his relations when he changes for an other world.
Page 3 of 3