Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 8:13 AM
Default Replacing social groups with organisations sims can join.
While the idea of social groups is a good one, I would prefer it when sims dont just automaticly join them because they do a certain activity, persue a certain hobby or such.

No, I'd want to see sims officially apply for membership and be only accepted if they meet the requirements.

Some examples of organisations sims could join, and their effects:

-High society.
Only filthy rich sims can apply here. It's pretty much the slightly cartoony version of high society that you often see depicted in cartoons and various movies. Its an uptight crowd with polished monocles, fancy dresses, etc. Who like to talk about how wealthy and wonderfull they are. They look down on obscene behaviour, they laugh at the petty troubles of the common sim and the organisation has quite an impressive club house with a golf course. (expanded with a horse riding field when/if horses are added.)
A real stuck up crowd, but some sims, especially snobs, would love to be a part of it. Sims causing a scene at the club, becomeing poor or otherwise doing stuff that doesnt fit in with high society could get their membership revoked. Some warnings could be given first, unless they are poor.

-Intellectual group.
This is for the smartest sims. Their academic performances, inventions and other accomplishments allows them to join. Their club house could have a hall of fame reserved for the most talented sims. Getting their picture in the hall of fame could be the greatest honour for a sim and shouldnt be easy. This club would be less strict than high society, any sim who gets to be in the hall of fame could never be expelled and otherwise sims could just be expelled for poor behaviour and such. Sims could get a buff when around other members of the group since they then feel they are in the company of their peers.

-theater club.
Somewhat old fasioned perhaps, but it would be perfect for sims. Any sim can apply, but if they want the lead role in a play they need to be charismatic, athletic or whatever the lead role requires. Different plays could be performed. Lucky sims have the lead role, other sims might play a tree, raise and lower the curtain, or may be an extra. Cast should be kept small to not be too straining on the game, 4-5 sims could be enough for any performance.
Aside from the theatre club, other sims could also perform in this small theatre. Singers, comedians, musicians, acrobats, etc. Good performers could be invited to join the theatre club.

-Criminal organisation.
As I mentioned in another thread, there shouldnt be a crime occupation anymore, but sims being able to commit crimes in any job if they have the traits for it, and work independently as a burglar or thief. To expand on that, I'd like to see a criminal organisation.
Its a very secretive organisation. Sims cant apply to it, but can be invited once they commited enough crimes. The organisation could allow sims to sell stolen goods. Overtly law abiding sims like those who become cops, betray their criminal friends or such are expelled from the organisation.
Having criminal connections could greatly benefit a sim, but a favor could always be asked of them in return.

I'd gues many more organisations would be possible of course. Such as a sport club, supernatural club, surfers, nerds, rebels, justice league, shopaholics, business association, book club, nectarholics anonimous, girl scouts, boy scouts, celeberty fan clubs, etc.
But this is something they can have in the base game, and expand on through expansions, adding more organisations.

Sims could be part of multible organisations, but there could be a limit to it, and some organisations could conflict with each other, thus not allowing your sim to be part of both.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 9:39 AM
Really interesting idea Sounds kind of like a mix between social groups and TS2 hobby clubs.

I must say that the Social Groups really got on my nerves a little bit because of the constant maintenance they need... my sim might get involved in one during University, but then I just let it die away because otherwise I get annoyed with it.

In your idea here, would you want it to be a "needs maintaining" thing? Or could the sims just join and be a part of it no matter what? Would there even be levels of membership?

I reckon perhaps if they had something like 3 levels of membership which didn't need too much maintaining, it could be really fun. Otherwise I think I'd end up avoiding them.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#3 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 10:14 AM
See, my problem isn't maintaining them, it's getting them to stop gaining influence just because they play a video game for a few hours, or use a kicky ball. No, I'm not a rebel just because I kick a ball around.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 3:43 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 17th Sep 2013 at 3:57 PM.
As long as we can make our own groups, this sounds like a good idea. I want to make a group that goes around breaking or stealing people's televisions and telephones. They can be called the Teleban.

But in all seriousness, we should be able to make our own, and assign our own activities and group dynamics. Maybe even outfits too. It might even be a way for them to implement religion without making it an actual feature, by giving you the tools to make your own.
Theorist
#5 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 4:50 PM
Why replace it? Keep the social groups AND introduce the organizations. It works that way in RL so I don't see why it shouldn't in The Sims.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 7:07 PM
I dont think much maintenance should be needed, and wether there are more ranks or not should depend on the organisation. It shouldnt be a single copy paste model. Probably best if NPC's are running those organisations anyways. There should only be various ranks if it makes sense.

Sims should either be a member or not, I wouldnt want to see any levels of interest in it or such. Could maybe become honorary members such as the intellectual group's hall of fame. Being part of an organisation shouldnt be high maintenance. Sims could choose to be active in it though, which might cause them to be appreciated more by fellow members.

To me these organisations just seem like a great way for sims to find like minded sims, the kind of whom it makes sense for them to be friends with. When not playing your sims, they could be more likely to befriend others of the organisation than random town sims.

Later on they could perhaps even allow sims to create their own organisations, for which they could be the leader.
Instructor
#7 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 8:00 PM
I love your idea. I think the game desperately needs more organic ways for sims to meet other sims.

Right now, there aren't really ways to bring sims together. Sure there's a few coworkers/classmates your Sims could befriend organically, but that's about it. Half the time, especially when my sim is single and looking, I'll finally spot a cute sim walk by on the street and literally have to cancel everything my sim is doing, have them dash halfway across the lot to intercept the other sim, and queue up a bunch of social interactions so that when I want to invite them over later to further the relationship, they won't bail out everytime bc they don't know my sim well enough. I shouldn't have to resort to that.

Venues in TS2 served that function pretty well. You'd spot other sims on the dance floor or bowling at the next lane, and it was easy to have your sim just walk on over and strike up a conversation. Rabbitholes killed that.

But I don't just want venues back, I want TS4 to be an improvement. So an updated social group/hobby system sounds great. But I also want more group events/activities, that aren't just geared towards one type of sim. I want:

-Book clubs for bookworm sims.
-Chess tournaments for logic ones.
-Concerts for music/outgoing sims.
-Town picnics/barbecues at the park where many of the families in town will come and bring their kids, everyone socializing together.
-Occasional gallery openings where artsy sims will gather to admire the paintings.
-Actual ballet/scouting classes where you can watch the kids skill, and the parents can stay and watch and make friends with the other parents if you want them to.

The list goes on, and I'm sure others will have many more ideas. But the point is, we need more group activities for our sims to participate in, no disappearing into a hole and then popping out again.