Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 10:41 PM
Default Base Game World(s) Themes ?
We have learned about the new sims, we have learned a bit about build/buy mode, but we have yet to learn much about the world this will all take place in.

Based on official screen shots and interviews, we know that at this point that EA plans to ship The Sims 4 with a Southern/Louisiana themed world.

Based on leaked screenshots, we have seen glimpses of a Tudor style world that might ship with with the base game as well.

The Sims website says:

Quote:
Select from vibrant neighborhoods for your Sims to live in.

Neighbourhoods with an 'S' would indicate that we will get plural worlds in the base game, or at least one giant world with differing neighbourhoods.

What styles/themes do you hope/expect we will see in these base game worlds?

What do you hope/expect each world to have or feature?

Discuss .
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 10:45 PM
I'm hoping for a suburban neighborhood. Something like Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives or Agrestic from Weeds.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 10:55 PM
I just want a hood with connected houses. Detached houses are for rich people, I want to be able to make a street full of terraced houses for my sims without having to break out the LotAdjuster.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 11:11 PM
Something other than a bland suburban type world would be nice for a change, we don't all live in suburbia you know.
Alchemist
#5 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by neon_wild
Something other than a bland suburban type world would be nice for a change, we don't all live in suburbia you know.

We don't all live in LA and are rich and famous, you know. Nor do we all live next door to a werewolf and a vampire and their fairy cousin who's cheating on her zombie fiance with the alien she just met. And we don't all have plant sims growing in our backyard.

Suburban hoods are not that common. At least, not ones without supernaturals or celebrity sims.
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 11:35 PM
After playing Bridgeport, I want one that works...LOL
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 11:37 PM
I want an urban world that isn't super clean and tiny like Bridgeport was. With terraced houses, pubs, corner shops, etc. that really make urban centres come alive. Suburbia is too spaced-out, having lived all over the world not once have I seen anything like TS3's version of Suburbia. It's more packed-in.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
#8 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 12:28 AM
As long as what was shown for that new orleans/georgian style with the canal and dock is actually included I could care less because just from that I'm already hyped to play that neighborhood. That particular style is the one I fell in love with ever since sims 1.

I really think it all comes down to personal style aesthetics. If you have row after row of 2 story gutter cookie cutter houses as "suburbia" then yes it will get dull and repetitive. The main issue though game wise is that spacing between lots has always been a deterrent. I like my streets lined with houses but there always seems to be one lot that screws up the terrain enough that the house that goes next to it to finish the street can't be placed now because the terrain was edited when placing that lot. That's just sims 2 I can't even imagine the restrictions in sims 3 with curved roads.

But also on topic can we at least get apartments and community lots that go together that actually work without a mod?
Alchemist
#9 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
I really think it all comes down to personal style aesthetics. If you have row after row of 2 story gutter cookie cutter houses as "suburbia" then yes it will get dull and repetitive.

Trying too hard make each house unique also has its drawbacks (e.g. Sunset Valley).
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
We don't all live in LA and are rich and famous, you know. Nor do we all live next door to a werewolf and a vampire and their fairy cousin who's cheating on her zombie fiance with the alien she just met. And we don't all have plant sims growing in our backyard.

Suburban hoods are not that common. At least, not ones without supernaturals or celebrity sims.

You don't say?? Fact is we have had plenty of suburban type worlds in the series, many of which seem to be US based, hence why it would be nice to have something a bit different.

And by the way if you don't want celebrities or supernaturals, you can turn them off you know ;D
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 1:26 AM
Suburbia is a requirement for a base game because of how boring suburbia it is. it allows for a blank palette to start with. The Garden District for 4 isn't the best to start with. The team appears focused on the environments, not build tools and objects.

Sure, the garden district is great in it's own right, but it seems a bit too specific.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#12 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Suburbia is a requirement for a base game because of how boring suburbia it is. it allows for a blank palette to start with. The Garden District for 4 isn't the best to start with. The team appears focused on the environments, not build tools and objects.

Sure, the garden district is great in it's own right, but it seems a bit too specific.

Meh, I prefer that they're going more specific with it, as when Seasons comes around, we won't have to have that debate again with Sims 3, about whether Sunset Valley is Tropical, Subtropical, Average, etc....And we can actually tell where a world is geographically supposed to be located and doesn't have too much of drastic "pullings" from everywhere, such as bridgeport which has Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, a little of New York and god knows what else. I think this could work out very well, especially if it goes well with the theme...Although realistically, I agree with you for a base game, it needs to be general/majority rules. But when those EP's start knocking out...I want to know where they took inspiration, so I can build, dress, etc...accordingly.
Alchemist
#13 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:42 AM
You don't say?? Fact is we have had plenty of suburban type worlds in the series, many of which seem to be US based, hence why it would be nice to have something a bit different.

The suburban ones we do have don't really do the theme justice, IMO. The houses are either spread apart (e.g. Pleasantview) or don't go very well together in terms of architectural style and color (e.g. Sunset Valley, Neighborhood 2). Some are more country than suburban (e.g. Riverview, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills) and the rest are mainly sci-fi (e.g. Strangetown, Lunar Lakes), supernatural (e.g. Moonlight Falls), beachy (Sunlit Tides, Island Paradise) and faux-LA themed (e.g Bridgeport, Starlight Shores).

Name one suburb in the Sims series that doesn't have a different life state, doesn't look like a vacation spot and doesn't have celebrities on every block. One where houses are right next to each other and are uniform without necessarily looking exactly the same.

A neighborhood where the theme is suburban as opposed to a suburb with an alien/vampire/celebrity/vegas/resort/farm theme.
And by the way if you don't want celebrities or supernaturals, you can turn them off you know ;D

Not if they come with the world or neighborhood I want.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 3:56 AM
My ideal world would have different sections of town. Maybe a run-down section, a middle class section and a higher middle class section with a few high end houses out on the edges. It would be flat for easier building, but have a beach section and a mountainous section. But, unlike Sunset Valley, the town would have a look that unifies the homes. I hate the hodge-podge of modern, beachy, Victorian and sprawling mansions that are Sunset Valley and Pleasantview! Pick something and go with it, be it turn of the century, old Southern homes or bustling big city brownstones. Veronaville at least had homes that looked similar, but they were almost impossibly small and weird to work with.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 4:58 AM
I agree with koololdster, I want a CITY with multiple neighborhoods within it.

My ideal: The city center is row houses and shopping. East is a beach, a boardwalk, and a line of beach houses. North is a gated community for rich sims. West is a low to middle class suburb. South is rural farm land. None of them would have to be that big, I build my TS2 more or less like this. Overall feel is a hodge-podge of the east coast US.
Instructor
#16 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
My ideal: The city center is row houses and shopping. East is a beach, a boardwalk, and a line of beach houses. North is a gated community for rich sims. West is a low to middle class suburb. South is rural farm land. None of them would have to be that big, I build my TS2 more or less like this. Overall feel is a hodge-podge of the east coast US.

I love this. Aesthetic variety and cohesion. Love!!!
Instructor
#17 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
I agree with koololdster, I want a CITY with multiple neighborhoods within it.

Love this! Also, I'd like to have some of it look a bit run-down, shabby, worn . . . not super shiny and pristine all the time.

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:41 AM
I'd be very surprised if the New Orleans theme was the only neighborhood, it's too "theme-y"/niche to be the only base game hood. It would make sense if there are 3 hoods like Sims 2 where we get multiple themes.

My ideal theme is sort of like Sunset Valley but with the town center/shops along the beach/boardwalk and a larger (more themed) suburb. Then instead of a road leading up to a waterfall it would lead up to a mountain with a lake and a little rural town.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 8:15 AM
I want to see a more urban, more squashed together world as well. St Claire (a custom world) from Awesims is one of my favourite neighbourhoods because it has a nice urbanish/city vibe, with a little bit of spaced homes across the river as well.
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 9:21 AM
I'd love anything Hidden Springs- like :lovestruc The big cities are not really my thing, but I wouldn't mind it for variation :p
Field Researcher
#21 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
The suburban ones we do have don't really do the theme justice, IMO. The houses are either spread apart (e.g. Pleasantview) or don't go very well together in terms of architectural style and color (e.g. Sunset Valley, Neighborhood 2). Some are more country than suburban (e.g. Riverview, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills) and the rest are mainly sci-fi (e.g. Strangetown, Lunar Lakes), supernatural (e.g. Moonlight Falls), beachy (Sunlit Tides, Island Paradise) and faux-LA themed (e.g Bridgeport, Starlight Shores).

Name one suburb in the Sims series that doesn't have a different life state, doesn't look like a vacation spot and doesn't have celebrities on every block. One where houses are right next to each other and are uniform without necessarily looking exactly the same.

A neighborhood where the theme is suburban as opposed to a suburb with an alien/vampire/celebrity/vegas/resort/farm theme.

Not if they come with the world or neighborhood I want.

As far as I know the only neighborhood that starts off with pre-made celebrities is Bridgeport, and the only neighborhood that starts with supernaturals is Moonlight Falls. I can't really say I have a problem with that considering they're the EP neighborhoods of Late Night and Supernatural. Celebrities can be gotten rid of from Bridgeport either by cheats or just getting rid of the family if you have such a problem with them. It's been ages since I played TS2 so I can't really remember but if a neighborhood has a different life state or whatever and it bothers you so much can't you just delete them. I said this already in your world rant thread but a neighborhood is never going to be tailored just for you unless you made it yourself, a couple of clicks to turn of the celebrity system/supernaturals before you start playing and your problem in that regard should hopefully be solved.

As for the rest of your post we'll just have to agree to disagree, Sunset Valley for example has enough of a suburb feel to it for me. It doesn't have any obvious theme going for it apart from that it seems US based to me. Obviously none of the worlds are going to be exactly like your typical suburb in reality, it is a game and it has its limitations. But if you have an issue with the houses in Sunset Valley for instance you can always build your own to give you more of the look you want. I've basically had enough of that suburb feel and would enjoy something different. Koololdster's idea would be something I would personally like.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
My ideal world would have different sections of town. Maybe a run-down section, a middle class section and a higher middle class section with a few high end houses out on the edges. It would be flat for easier building, but have a beach section and a mountainous section. But, unlike Sunset Valley, the town would have a look that unifies the homes. I hate the hodge-podge of modern, beachy, Victorian and sprawling mansions that are Sunset Valley and Pleasantview! Pick something and go with it, be it turn of the century, old Southern homes or bustling big city brownstones. Veronaville at least had homes that looked similar, but they were almost impossibly small and weird to work with.

I would like to have a world with some neighbourhoods too in it, but where we could change or adict new roads, bridges, buildings, and not only trees and rocks.
It would be nice too have a visible railroad and some train stations
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 10:36 AM
Not another fucking Mayberry!

Actually, I want a big city. I want thousands of Sims in that City. I want tall skyscrapers, maybe with 100 stories. I want heavy traffic, including traffic jams. I want taxis and busses. I want numerous stores where my Sims can shop for stuff (no more silly buy mode -- you buy everything at a store.) I want clubs, bars, playgrounds, churches bowling alleys, pool halls, theaters, museums, libraries. I want the world to be huge, not simply one square mile. In other words, I want something EA has no intention of providing, but what they should be providing at this stage of the game.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 10:38 AM
It's been ages since I played TS2 so I can't really remember but if a neighborhood has a different life state or whatever and it bothers you so much can't you just delete them.

Delete the neighbourhood or the supernatural family? The one that springs to mind here is Riverblossom Hills, which has a family with plantsims. You could delete the whole hood, but you'd lose everybody else. You can't delete the family though as that leads to instant hood corruption.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 11:01 AM
^ Thanks for clarification, as I said it's been a long time since I've played TS2, that's not an issue in TS3 so at least they fixed that in the series .
Page 1 of 3