Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
Is there any way to place a roof (Sims3) when the height is uneven? I have my outside walls on the ground, in the middle of the house is a foundation area to make a raised floor. This raised floor has a roof over it way up on top, but this roof cannot be dragged over manually to connect to the outside walls, it says: cannot be placed because roof height uneven. If I try putting on auto roof it won't show any roof at all.

I don't know offhand of a way to take roof across two different heights, might be possible to do something with the CFE cheat, but if that worked it would probably mess up the house structure.

One option that did just spring to mind is the tutorial by Beefysim1 here about sunken rooms, instead of having a room with a section of raised floor (2 different heights) you could have a room at the foundation level with a cutaway area and the full length windows. If that would work for what you're trying to build.

I'll try some experiments with CFE too, see if it'll do anything interesting / useful with the roof .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll check the tutorial to see if your suggestion is a better way of doing things.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 2:28 PM
Looks like CFE doesn't work with roof crossing height boundries, it's probably something to do with it being a difference in floor level.. moving from ground level to ground +1 (i.e. 2nd floor or foundation level). I did manage to mash up a couple of alternative roof styles but neither really looks that great.

If your raised floor / foundation area is kinda in the middle and you have a complete block of wall placed at ground level running all the way around you may be able to put one giant roof across the whole thing, the only other alternative I found is to put walls up around the foundation area then build a roof on it (might have to lay some floor on top the walls to give you extra tiles to click / drag to to make the roof work). You can delete all the extra floor / walls needed to place the center roof afterwards, but if you want to change the roof again you may have to add them in (unless it's just delete / undo to make them different heights).

I used the Hipped roof on the center raised part, half hipped roof around the side taking them up to the edge of the raised walls and adjusted the height so it looked at least vageuly sensible. It's not perfect and could probably be made better with more experimenting depending on what your structure looks like, I have included some screenshots of what I mashed together. Hopefully it'll help
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 2:59 PM
I know a way! I think... you'll have to make a dummy level around the house that is the same height as the foundation (4 clicks if I'm right). You can do this by using the constrainfloorelevation false and level the ground from the foundation and onto the wall around. Now you should have 1/4th of a wall. Then you build another wall ontop of those, and the roof should now be the same height, and the same level

I think that would work, I can't test it though 'cause I'm leaving in half an hour. So no screenies either =3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darim
I know a way! I think... you'll have to make a dummy level around the house that is the same height as the foundation (4 clicks if I'm right). You can do this by using the constrainfloorelevation false and level the ground from the foundation and onto the wall around. Now you should have 1/4th of a wall. Then you build another wall ontop of those, and the roof should now be the same height, and the same level

I think that would work, I can't test it though 'cause I'm leaving in half an hour. So no screenies either =3

That way would work too , it depends really on what kind of structure Shimrod101 is working with. Using the dummy wall level / CFE type method could mess up internal wall structures and doors if there are rooms on the ground level area, though you could raise them up onto the foundation / dummy wall level too.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 1:51 AM
I have so many ideas now thanks to your tutorial.
Test Subject
#32 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 7:10 AM
Aww thank you so much. This is a very useful tut. Huggles to you
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by feldynn
That way would work too , it depends really on what kind of structure Shimrod101 is working with. Using the dummy wall level / CFE type method could mess up internal wall structures and doors if there are rooms on the ground level area, though you could raise them up onto the foundation / dummy wall level too.

Indeed. But you should always plan ahead when using dummy levels. Use them as foundation and make all the walls exactly alike, and you won't get any of the warped walls.
Test Subject
#34 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 2:41 AM
Thanks very much .. there is just one thing that bothers me a lot

Whenever i try to build a roof, the supporting walls are the only thing that shows up, the roof it self does not show up in my game.. although it is shown when i am in the town view.. but when i build a house it does not show up and i can not figure out how does ma roof look like
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#35 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 8:16 PM
You have to go up a floor above the top floor to have your roof appear.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Test Subject
#36 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 10:00 PM
that is what i do and still nothing ..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM Last edited by feldynn : 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling / grammar
That's weird, the only thing I know of relating to this is a sticky note I spotted on the EA / Sims 3 message board..

Quoted from - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/33653.page

Quote:
We've been getting a lot of reports from the community where they've encountered a bug during their game play that the roof is missing from their Sim's homes. We've looked into this issue and discovered that the people who encountered this problem were using a Intel GMA 950 Graphics Card. This is below the minimum spec requirements which causes the bug to occur. Our suggestion is to upgrade your graphics card so that it meets our minimum spec requirements.

Happy Simming!

-Poptart

Not sure if that's going to be of any use or not, but that's the only thing I've heard of regarding missing roof.
Test Subject
#38 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:06 PM
Thank you for sharing that trick with us Feldynn! I hope that you know someone that can make a game mod to lock roof slopes. Using a house with different roof slopes makes me nervous because if that roof slope slider tool is used at all, that house is ruined.
Test Subject
#39 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 9:52 PM
This is something to try...can't wait!
Page 2 of 2