Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 10:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Renaming some "hoods"
Ok, I have too many "Simming" machines. I'm trying to get down to two machines, from seven, or so.

Here's what I need to know:

My "Smorgia" hood, and my "Ottomas Empire" hoods, are both designated "N004".

I want both on the same machine.

Can I create a new "N005" in the game, named "Ottomas Empire", delete the contents, and copy the contents of "Ottomas Empire, N004" to that folder, and have it work?

I don't feel constantly swapping them, is a good solution.

Something tells me, it's not easy.

Has anyone, successfully done this? Or do I just need to grope my way through it.

Both machines are more than capable, so I'll spare you the list of specs.

Thanx!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 10:37 PM
No, because the internal files will still be named N004.

Take your existing folder and use the Bulk Rename Utility to rename every single instance of N004 in that folder to N005 (or whatever unique number you like; OTTO would do just as well and you'd never have another conflict). And then you should be fine.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#3 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 10:37 PM
You have to change all the file names to N005 as well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
No, because the internal files will still be named N004.

Take your existing folder and use the Bulk Rename Utility to rename every single instance of N004 in that folder to N005 (or whatever unique number you like; OTTO would do just as well and you'd never have another conflict). And then you should be fine.
Would this be something I could do with Notepad ++?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 11:18 PM
As peni said above, use the Bulk Rename Utility.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 11:19 PM Last edited by Kunder : 7th Jun 2018 at 11:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
As peni said above, use the Bulk Rename Utility.
Ok, where do I find it? Please excuse my ignorance. I've never done this before.
Space Pony
#7 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 12:45 AM
Or if you have the patience to rename all the folders and files inside them by hand (all what has the "N004" in their name)

I once did that with 267 characters and 141 lots, never again

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jun 2018 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
Ok, where do I find it? Please excuse my ignorance. I've never done this before.

I like this one:
http://www.antp.be/software/renamer
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 4:52 PM Last edited by Kunder : 9th Jun 2018 at 5:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I like this one:
http://www.antp.be/software/renamer
Thank you.

I downloaded, and decided not to use it. However, I did manage to do this successfully from the DOS prompt! As an "Old DOS Guy", I'm very comfortable working from there.

Here's how:

I copied "Ottomas Empire" (N004) to my D:\ drive

Open "CMD", as administrator.

At the command prompt, I typed:
ren D:\N004\N004*.* N005*.*

Then:
ren D:\N004\Lots\N004*.* N005*.*

Then:
ren D:\N004\Characters\N004*.* N005*.*

Then:
I renamed the single "Thumbnails" file, with a right click, and rename, from Windows.

I then renamed "N004" to "N005" , and moved it to my "Neighborhoods" folder.

There was no current "N005" in my "Neighborhoods" folder, so there was nothing to delete first.

It showed up as "Ottomas Empire" in the game, and worked just fine.

Thank you to everyone, for your valued opinions!

Hope this helps someone else!

Now, on to doing this with maybe 10 more hoods. I think I'll just write a short, batch file program to do this automatically for me.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 5:29 PM
Ah well, if you know how to do this without a GUI, all the better! I wrote some powershell scripts to rename mine, but I usually recommend Ant Renamer here as many simmers prefer a more visual solution.

Well done @Kunder .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 5:42 PM Last edited by Kunder : 10th Jun 2018 at 2:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Ah well, if you know how to do this without a GUI, all the better! I wrote some powershell scripts to rename mine, but I usually recommend Ant Renamer here as many simmers prefer a more visual solution.

Well done @Kunder .
Agreed, and THANX!

I like using the DOS prompt, keeps me in practice. I don't use "3rd party" software for doing things like this. I also make my own Legacy/UEFI, bootable flashdrives from the DOS prompt. That way, I know they'll work first time, every time.

.........Never thought of a power shell script..... Good idea!
Alchemist
#12 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 7:46 PM
I use DOS for this, too.

I want to know about your Ottomas Empire. What's that about? :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:54 PM Last edited by Kunder : 23rd Jun 2018 at 6:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I use DOS for this, too.

I want to know about your Ottomas Empire. What's that about? :D
@Sunrader.

The "Ottomas Empire" started out as a "challenge" to breed out the ugly gene in the Ottomas clan. After successfully doing this, I kept it. I usually delete "challenge" hoods when I finish them, but I so enjoyed working with he Ottomas family, I decided to keep it on as a regular. Still very rewarding to play, and my oldest Hood.
Started out as one "Hood" (Ottomas Empire). Ended up with:
Ottomas Empire.
Ottomas Too.
Ottomas AGAIN.
Ottomas 4, 5 and 6!
Something had to be done!

It grew so large, that it ended up being the only "hood" on one of my computers. However, I now have MUCH better/faster computers, and now it sets along with the six, original Maxis hoods, and "Simsylvania", "Smorgia", "Strangetown II", "Cydonia (as in Mars)", and Hell's Butthole. I'm down to two "Simming machines", from my original seven. I can play better rotations now. I had lots of ugly stuff to sort out, after patching all this together. My hoods were crashing every time I went into CAS. Turns out, it was one of my "Saved Sims". Fortunately, it wasn't one of my important Sims. I had "Glitchy" graphics issues, CC issues, got those sorted out. Still have some minor stuff that I can sort out as I play.

I had over 100 "Hoods", and had to decide which to cut, so I kept my favorite ones. Each hood has something meaningful, or unique about them:

Ottomas Empire ( Dora the Hero. Homely, stinky, Grizzlie Ottomas snagging up Meadow Thayer, lots of unique Sims).
Simsylvania (Two, functioning schools, that I can't remember how to replicate... GO SIMBERWOLVES!!!, unique Sims).
Smorgia (My "Katy" sims home. I love my Katy sim :lovestruc ).
Cydonia (My "Tromsel" Sim, fell in love with her cousin (Tri-Bolt attraction!!). I STILL haven't figured out how that happened, as according to SimPE, and their relationship status, they're still family! all unique Sims).
Strangetown II (Mostly about the Smiths, and the Travellers. First attractive third child, of PT#9, and Jenny Smith. Named her Sirleen, and I haven't had an attractive, third Smith child since. This hood is also home to my "Peni Griffin" sim).
Hell's Butthole (My "apocalyptic" hood).

It was hard, letting go of "Smoogoslavia", but it had to be done. I DID however, rescue Uncle Smester, Smomez, Smorticia, Simsday, and Pfugsly Smaddams, and transplanted them into Veronaville.

[EDIT] Well, I downloaded "Azalea Acres" (Thanx @Jawusa). Now I have something new to rebuild "Smoogoslavia", and return the "Smaddams" family, back to their rightful home!

..............It was a LOT of work!