Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 8:17 PM Last edited by texter241 : 26th Jun 2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added tutorial for getting voice files
Modify UI in CAS or a mod to select custom voices?
(Originally incorrectly posted in the WCIF section)
I know a lot of people have looked into this before, but it seems no one has ever been successful. I want to add custom voices to my game. I've extracted all the voice files from all of the expansions I own, plus the base game (the total was in the 100ks, but the files are extremely small in size). Ignoring the fact that recording someone saying all the lines would take a long time, if I could do that and compress it back into the FullBuild1 file, is there anyway I could access it in-game? Either with a modified UI in CAS, or a separate mod that allows you to pick voices of sims you click on?
I know that NRaas has an option to select voice (or, at least it used to), but would a custom voice even show up in the options?

The way I got all the voice files was:
1) (on Windows) Navigated to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages (and the EP folders for each expansion pack).
2) With S3PE, opened the FullBuild1.package file.
3) Sorted by name, and used "export to file" for every file that started with "voc".
4) Used EALayerDecoder to extract the .wav files.
5) Sorted the extracted files by sex and age group: Look at the two letters right before the % in the file name. xy=x is the age group/gender, y is which voice it is. b=baby, p=toddler, c=child, m=male voices teen--elder, f=female voices teen--elder. a--c is voices a, b, or c

I have no experience in modding, but I thought that if an audio file was recorded, converted from .wav to sns, named in the same pattern as the other voice files, and compressed into the FullBuild1.package files, it would be available in-game with proper mods.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 11:46 PM Last edited by texter241 : 3rd Jul 2017 at 12:05 AM.
For some reason there are some .snr and .audtun files that I just cannot decode, and I know they contain voice files based on the name of the files. Anyone have any ideas how to decode them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 1:16 AM
So I guess no one has any ideas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2017 at 1:09 AM Last edited by texter241 : 14th Jul 2017 at 2:16 AM.
If anyone knows coding, I found where the information on the UI for voices is stored. I've extracted it so it can be edited to be turned into a mod, but I have very little knowledge in coding.
I'm taking a coding class starting in the fall, so I won't know what I'm doing until then...If anyone can figure it out, that'd be awesome. As it is, the coding for the game is C#, and my class will be teaching Java so those are very different and I probably won't be able to figure it out.