Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2018 at 12:04 PM
Default Lighting problem on clothing
I'm having a problem with the attached clothing. You can see from the pictures that the colour of the skin that shows is off compared to the skintone on the head.

The toddler outfit is from here - https://www.mtsims-cakestore.com/Ä...�ËÉú2-sims2/ Sims2 - Clothes - page 2 - number 10.

The weird thing about the dress is that I have two different dresses pictured there, not by the same creator, just the same mesh. Could there be something wrong with the mesh? I couldn't see anything dodgy in Milkshape.

The dress mesh is from here http://modthesims.info/download.php...5#startcomments - DP-Women-Princess - MESH_tig_fclongbell112005.package.

I used to be able to fix problems like this by deleting the normals, but that did nothing this time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd May 2018 at 12:15 PM
I think its a bitmap problem. I've had to delete 'dark' clothes with this issue before now.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2018 at 1:09 PM
So there's no way to fix it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd May 2018 at 1:44 PM
I've heard that the bitmap can be deleted.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2018 at 4:17 PM
You should be able to fix it by deleting the Normalmap (bumpmap) and the 4 normalmap-related lines in the TXMT.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th May 2018 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You should be able to fix it by deleting the Normalmap (bumpmap) and the 4 normalmap-related lines in the TXMT.

Yes, I've done that already. Didn't make a difference. I'm really starting to wonder if it's a mesh problem. I found another download that uses the same mesh here http://modthesims.info/d/233354 and you can see the same problem at the neck in the pictures.

How would you fix the mesh?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th May 2018 at 12:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th May 2018 at 12:20 PM.
It's probably an issue with the neck normals (mesh, not bump map) in the line where the body meets the head. If you extract one of the meshes plus the child face you should then be able to see the same line. It's fixable by setting the vertex normals of the dress neck to correspond to the same ones on the neck of the face (NOT the opposite way!). I've used the "extended vertex edit" (or some such) for this, but I'm not sure if there's an automated version.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2018 at 3:40 PM
Oh right..I thought it was a normal issue, so I went and downloaded the mesh. I tried align normal, but I did not imported the face..of course my small edit changed nothing, and the line is still there.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th May 2018 at 4:21 PM
Align normal might not work if the groups are layered wrong, and can sometimes make the problem worse. You need the face to align properly, or you're just aligning normals to nothing.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th May 2018 at 4:28 PM
It's probably an issue with the neck normals (mesh, not bump map) in the line where the body meets the head. If you extract one of the meshes plus the child face you should then be able to see the same line. It's fixable by setting the vertex normals of the dress neck to correspond to the same ones on the neck of the face (NOT the opposite way!). I've used the "extended vertex edit" (or some such) for this, but I'm not sure if there's an automated version.

Bold : How do you choose which to correspond to which? By that I mean, how to make sure that the face is master, and body is slave?..You get what i mean do you..
Not to mention, that old mesh suffered auto-smooth. I used to think that kind of thing ruined meshes for ever, but align normal softens it.

Align normal might not work if the groups are layered wrong, and can sometimes make the problem worse. You need the face to align properly, or you're just aligning normals to nothing.

Is there something to do in that case?

Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th May 2018 at 9:44 PM
It's to do with layering, but I can't quite remember if the mesh you want to copy from needs to be on the top or bottom in the list of groups. It's one of them. If it doesn't work, try the extended vertex editing. Select two vertices, and copy the last 3 lines (the first ones are the position) from the bottom line to the top line (or opposite, depending on the group layering). If there are four lines (seams front/back) make sure you copy the right ones. It's a bit of trial and failure in the beginning, but it's not too hard.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th May 2018 at 11:32 PM
Ah! layering as in..group order in group tab. Ké.
Though no luck when you want to copy from the same group...
Once I'll find the extended vertex editing button, i might be able to follow what you just said. lol

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:05 AM
bump map...that's what I meant when I said bitmap

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:12 AM
Extended manual edit, in the Vertex menu at the top. (Sorry - forgot I'd screenshot'd all the menus from Milkshape, mostly because I don't have Milkshape access atm, and my memory is leakier than a sieve).

I think it's part of one of the TS2 plugins for Milkshape, but if you've followed any of the Unimesh tutorials and downloaded the plugins, you should already have it installed.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th May 2018 at 3:18 AM
I don't think I have it?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2018 at 10:54 AM
You don't have it. It's under align normals.

I found out that the mesh on top in the groups menu is the one that vertexes/normals will be aligned to.

I'll have to have a look at the mesh again. Thanks for all the tips.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#17 Old 5th May 2018 at 5:01 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 5th May 2018 at 5:55 PM.
Thank you! I'll go hunt for it then. I tried using align normal on that mesh you have trouble with @Charity but no matter what i did, it was not looking better in BS. Just so you know.
But you'll probably have better results with that plugin, let us know how it went!
Can't find that one. I redownloaded what i already have basically!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th May 2018 at 1:42 AM
I tried the plugin and had no idea what to do. XD It looks like a maths equation.

Looks like I may have to delete the clothing on that mesh, unfortunately. Fiddling around with normals did nothing either.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th May 2018 at 4:07 AM
Don't worry about the numbers in the EME, they're not important. All you need to do is to copy the last X, Y and Z coordinates in the row (they deal with normals - the first 3 deal with placement) over into the corresponding XYZ coordinates directly above or below them (X to X, etc.), depending on which group you're copying from. I can't remember the proper layering, but I think the top group in the group layers is also at the top in the EME (correct me if I'm wrong - it's been months since I last used Milkshape).

Mark two overlaying vertices (make sure you're only marking one side if you're in left/right view) and select the EME. If you stumble upon 4 lines, you're probably at the front/back split on the mesh. Just copy the same numbers to all the XYZ coordinates.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th May 2018 at 4:14 AM
But can someone link me to that EME plugin please? cause I cannot find it. I really thought I had everything.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th May 2018 at 1:36 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th May 2018 at 2:18 PM.
Here: http://modthesims.info/t/139859

While you're at it with the plugins, I also suggest having Cat's tools - they make meshing a lot easier:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=405899
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=405374
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=303044 (this one may be of help for similar issues elsewhere in a mesh, since it also fixes the UVmap)

I also found this tutorial - it's for TS3, but follows the same principle and shows some nice tips to how make gap/normals fixing easier:
http://simplyimaginarypeople.tumblr...-seams-gaps-and
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th May 2018 at 4:36 PM
Thank you so much! I thought I had all from Cat, but the last you linked, I didn't